Sign in to follow this  
SnakepitCanary

Priority Signings (Positions)

I only remembered Russell Martin having one good game, and that was when he had to fill in at centre back. I think he''s awful and we will get punished if we don''t bring that balance to the defence, unless of course Lambert plays Spillane who I think did very well in that position before he got injured last season.

[quote user="SnakepitCanary"]

I was just wondering, what position would you most like a signing made?

Mine has to be:

1. Right Back

2. Goalie

3. Striker X 2

4. winger

[/quote]

We need a proven striker & Forster; and with that i''d be happy.

We are well covered at centre half, and look excellant at left back.

At right back, although we dont have someone standing out i think it would be illogical to rush and sign a one, when Martin was signed only 6 months ago; considering we have Spillane who has good ability, and the potential in Francomb.

The midfield is well covered as we all know; and considering we dont play with natural width, i don''t see another Mcnamee style player as a priority either. We have goalscoring midfielders like Hoolahan, & Surman and a squad flexible enough to cope.

Up front, i do think we need a couple of additions; Mcdonald & Johnson in my opinion will need to be loaned out toi get some regular games. Johnson in particular has the potential to prove me wrong, but he still has a lot to learn.

We need a quality striker to compete with Chrissy Martin (although i do rate Martin highly), and back up for Holt, as we have nothing similar.

Players like Sharp, Keogh, Cox. Hooper would be awesome, but it all comes down to finance; we don''t know what there is, for all i know they could all be out of range. I''m sure Holt will do agreat job in the champ; and a like for like replacement in a certain Alan Lee (only as a squad player!) wouldnt be a disaster.

David Wright is still available on a free transfer I think. I think lambert could get the best out of him. Up front I think billy sharp would play well with grant holt.

[quote user="SnakepitCanary"]I only remembered Russell Martin having one good game, and that was when he had to fill in at centre back. I think he''s awful and we will get punished if we don''t bring that balance to the defence, unless of course Lambert plays Spillane who I think did very well in that position before he got injured last season.[/quote]

Right, so even though Russell Martin came in during November and was a first choice/regular part of the side that climbed to the top of the table and stayed there until the end of the season you''re writing him off and suggesting Spillane would be a better option even though he was little more than a "bit part" player throughout the season?

I know Spillane had a bit of time out injured this season but for my money he''s becoming a bit overrated, has done nothing to show he''s better than R Martin and I''m very confident Lambert will not see him as being good enough to be a regular first team player.

If either of them deserve the chance at right back going into next season it''s Russell Martin, he''s contributed far more to our success.

1. Pinkun forum monitors to keep on top of the tripe.

2. A new mascot to help Captain Canary - never been the same since that stupid road kill racoon came along.

3. Some new stewards that can stand up, damn them they grab so many seats on match days - give them to the fans!

4. A sniper - so the opposition can justify the diving which is going to catch on after the world cup (just you watch).

5. Smudger as a reserve team coach because if they dont do their jobs properly his half time team talk will either inspire them or have them in fits of giggles which should get them enjoying their football better.

6. A tower in one corner of the ground for 1st Wizzard to occupy and cast his spells from - that and they always had something like that in churches to keep the leppers away from the ''normal'' congrigation.

7. A player with a barnet - every team has to have one and at the moment no one in our team has so much as a tuft of hair let alone a barnet.

8. GOALKEEPER. Sorry but how does any position have any priority over us not having a keeper who has any sort of decent experience - even as cover.

9. That chef who is doing stuff with Delia, might add a bit of fizz and pop into our club, I heard he likes to mess with science and food . . . . could we end up with mutants like the incredible Hulk or Super Ted playing for us?

10. Right wing. At the moment we have no right winger, none, nil. We need at least one, surely, please, no, oh well I tried.

11. Some vuvuzelas - just to annoy the boring people who dont want them and like to sit back and bask in the sun and munch on their sandwitches during the ''matchday'' experience.

12. A striker of some sort of proven level. I think Marting and Holt will do well but I am not sure Cody is up to it, Oli is more so and I think he will become a force but he is bigger and stronger and has more to his game than Cody ant the moment.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]You''re forgetting something GJP.  Russell Martin didn''t come through our youth setup...
[/quote]

Ha.

I''ve got nothing against Spillane but to me he''s always been very ordinary (at best) but the way I''ve known some people to speak about him you''d think we had Maicon on the bench waiting to get in ahead of R Martin.

It''s not that he came through our youth system, it''s because of Martin''s ability. He isn''t good enough going forward, or defensively. I didn''t state that Spillane is a fantastic player and he should be first choice, thats why I said that the right back position should be our number one priority.

1. Proven striker

2. Goalie, prefferably Forster

3. Right back

I''m not too bothered about right back, Martin and Spillane are both ok. I really think we need a striker though. I''m happy to start Martin/Holt, but very unlikely are neither of them going to get injured or suspended over the whole season. As for goalkeeper, I''m happy with Rudd to be honest. Obviously I would much prefer we signed Fraser, but if we didn''t, Rudd is more than satisfactory for me. [Y]

[/quote]I''d like to sign these.[img]http://www.filehurricane.com/photos/722008100410AM_cleavage2.jpg[/img]

It''s not that he came through our youth system, it''s because of Martin''s ability. He isn''t good enough going forward, or defensively. I didn''t state that Spillane is a fantastic player and he should be first choice, thats why I said that the right back position should be our number one priority.

[/quote]

Well you''d have to assume Paul Lambert thinks that Martin has got the ability otherwise he wouldn''t have signed him for us.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="SnakepitCanary"]

[/quote]

I''d like to sign these.

[img]http://www.filehurricane.com/photos/722008100410AM_cleavage2.jpg[/img]
[/quote]i would like to do more then sign them................

Could someone tell me what Russell Martin''s done so wrong to merit the flack he''s been getting?? I know he''s not Cafu but he''s solid, steady and by and large has done a good job for us. Martin in!!!

[/quote]1. River End/City Stand infill - needs another hotel

Following on from what someone said earlier, I think we are too worried about Right Back.

Spillane is probably the best we have got at the moment. I too am worried about Russell Martin, but he is better than Otsemobor, who was our first choice previously in Championship..so he can be good cover.

And I will also agree with the message about Francomb. I have a mate who reguarly watches training and reserve games, reckons he is the best youngster we have. I have also heard whispers he has been tracked by some big clubs, so maybe he can come through and be a young star next year?

I agree with this post to a certain extent. I think our top priority is a goalkeeper (preferably Forster) because the confidence a strong goalkeeper spreads throughout the team is absolutely pricless. I am sure Lambert has a backup plan if we can''t get Forster as it would be stupid to put all our eggs in one basket. I think the striking issue is probably the next important because we need another striker alongside Martin and Holt who is strong enough to start games. I can''t see Cody making the grade and at the moment I think Oli Johnson is best utilised as an impact sub from the bench. A role in which I think he could win some points next season just like his cameos against Brentford and Southend did.

I think the criticism of Russell Martin is quite harsh. I don''t know whether he can cut it in the championship but he was never given a chance by Peterborough who had a shambolic season from start to finish. So I wouldn''t say that little spell is indicative of his ability. By and large this season he was pretty steady I thought if not spectacular and he definitely had his share of very good games. In particular I thought against Wycombe he was outstanding. His pace bailed us out on a number of occasions as he covered for the 2 centre backs. I agree that Spillane is a talented player but much of our assessment of him is based upon games such as Leyton Orient at home where he was pretty much redundant defensively. There is know doubt he scored a brilliant goal but I would like to see him against better opponents first. I really hope he hasnt become the new whipping boy at Carrow Road because he has been a tidy player for us so far.