Sign in to follow this  
Felixfan

Turnstile scanning system.

Whilst we are all thinking about the new season perhaps the club should consider a turnstile scanning system similar to many other clubs.

Incorporating a bar code into the season tickets or printed tickets and the initial setting up would have a cost but be offset against the staff savings and these savings would be forever.

Any views?

From what I''ve seen elsewhere, I don''t see how these systems actually help to cut costs.  There always seems to be at least one person per automatic turnstyle, so the staffing numbers remain the same.

Electronic fingerprint scanning works well to enable entry for approved visitors only (e.g. used in some playschools); this would be a simple system to implement.

That way, only casual supporters would need to check-in. The regulars could gain speedy automatic entry without the need for a turnstile attendant.

You wouldn''t even need your season ticket with you either...

[quote user="Matt Juler"]From what I''ve seen elsewhere, I don''t see how these systems actually help to cut costs.  There always seems to be at least one person per automatic turnstyle, so the staffing numbers remain the same.[/quote]Yeh as you say I have noticed exactly the same always a member of staff by the machine so pretty pointless really

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]Electronic fingerprint scanning works well to enable entry for approved visitors only (e.g. used in some playschools); this would be a simple system to implement.

That way, only casual supporters would need to check-in. The regulars could gain speedy automatic entry without the need for a turnstile attendant.

You wouldn''t even need your season ticket with you either...[/quote]Electronic fingerprint scanning can **** right off. 

In this day & age of growing unemployment, I''d rather keep the person than pay for an expensive automated process.

[quote user="ſilly ſauſage"][quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]Electronic fingerprint scanning works well to enable entry for approved visitors only (e.g. used in some playschools); this would be a simple system to implement. That way, only casual supporters would need to check-in. The regulars could gain speedy automatic entry without the need for a turnstile attendant. You wouldn''t even need your season ticket with you either...[/quote]

Electronic fingerprint scanning can **** right off. 
[/quote]

Could prove difficult on the buyback though, lol           As well as that, people like me can''t go throught those turnstiles, so we would still have to que, meaning staff needed

I was at a fans forum in the Jarrold Business Lounge at the start of last season and the same question was asked then. I can''t remember the exact answer but as I recall Richard Gough said he had looked at the costs of such a system and it wasn''t worth it the expense of the installation. The price was in the order of several tens of thousands of pounds.

I would imagine that this is somewhere near the bottom of the priority list at the moment.

[quote user="Mike Grant"]In this day & age of growing unemployment, I''d rather keep the person than pay for an expensive automated process.[/quote][y]

I would have thought it might cost more for these electronic things?

Firstly you have to pay for them to be installed, then you have to change all the season tickets, whenever you see these at away games there is the same number of people manning the machines anyway, also you have to pay when they brake down for somebody to fix them.

Bit pointless really!

[quote user="Mike Grant"]In this day & age of growing unemployment, I''d rather keep the person than pay for an expensive automated process.[/quote]Seconded! That''s why I don''t like self-service check-outs eitherAnd I''m with silly sausage on the biometric/fingerprint scanning - NO WAY!

[quote user="Felixfan"]Whilst we are all thinking about the new season perhaps the club should consider a turnstile scanning system similar to many other clubs. Incorporating a bar code into the season tickets or printed tickets and the initial setting up would have a cost but be offset against the staff savings and these savings would be forever. Any views?[/quote]

I think your memory is playing tricks Felix as Andy Cullen did bring this up at an SCG meeting and i recall a figure of £300,000 to implement it being mentioned.

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]Electronic fingerprint scanning works well to enable entry for approved visitors only (e.g. used in some playschools); this would be a simple system to implement.

You wouldn''t even need your season ticket with you either...[/quote]I think we should use optical retina scanning and have the results linked to our national identity cards.  That way the government could pay the bill and we''d have no costs other than a slight loss of liberty.

Theres enough of big brother watching us we dont need anymore............and why do somebody out of job? leave it as it is it works fine..................if it aint broke dont try and fix it!

[quote user="First Jedi"]Err.... it takes seconds to get through the turnstiles as is...?[/quote]

[Y]Can''t see anything wrong with the system we have now? Some of the ''larger'' fans struggle to get through,but there is a remedy for that.....

[quote user="Herman "]

[quote user="First Jedi"]Err.... it takes seconds to get through the turnstiles as is...?[/quote]

[Y]Can''t see anything wrong with the system we have now? Some of the ''larger'' fans struggle to get through,but there is a remedy for that.....

[/quote]

Yes, the Carrow Canary Cattle Prod.....It''ll certainly accelerate the process....ZAP!

There have also been some practical issues with these kind of turnstiles. At Newcastle people have managed to get into St James Park using library cards and credit cards etc which have a bar code on them. My mate at university who is a season ticket holder up there even claims he has even seen a bloke get in using the bar code from a chocolate bar wrapper!

However I agree it would help to cut down costs. I thought the ones at MK Dons worked really well and they only needed one person manning about 6 or 7 turnstiles in case something went wrong. The club need every penny possible to compete on the pitch. So who knows one day it might happen.

[quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="Herman "]

[/quote]

Yes, the Carrow Canary Cattle Prod.....It''ll certainly accelerate the process....ZAP!

[/quote]

I was thinking more along the line of Weight Watchers,but your option is cheaper and quicker[Y]

Fair point Tangie. I didn''t realise that they would cost that much to install. If we are talking that kind of money then it would of course be wiser to invest that kind of money in a signing who could potentially help to get us over the line if (fingers crossed!) we were pushing for promotion this season.