Sign in to follow this  
DEB (never forgotten)

Simeon Jackson turns down contract offer!

"Mr Scally said: "I haven’t had any credible bids for Simeon Jackson so far."

I wonder how much the level of a "credible" bid has dropped now that he''ll be free in a year...?

[quote user="First Jedi"]"Mr Scally said: "I haven’t had any credible bids for Simeon Jackson so far." I wonder how much the level of a "credible" bid has dropped now that he''ll be free in a year...?[/quote]

So Jackson is forcing Gillingham''s hand.

Bit like Lambert resigning just before we appointed him, isn''t it?

[quote user="First Jedi"]"Will we make a formal offer?" Sounds like we already have - but they didn''t like the amount...[/quote]

Given that his value has fallen considerably since being linked to Villa & other clubs with assumed values of between £1m & £2m, I would be surprised if City & Millwall are alone in being interested in signing him. Could be an interesting few days.

A fan response to article:

James Gazeley wrote:

They should sell him, he is far too good for League 2. And we have seen what he is like when he is not happy, contributed nothing for last third of the sesason! Norwich would be a good club for him, ambitious, huge fanbase etc etc. Can see him playing in Prem with Norwich if he does go...

Is he as good as people would have you believe.  9 of his 18 goals last season were from the penalty spot, and £1 to £2m for a League Two player who is in the last year of his contract, come on????[:^)]

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

Is he as good as people would have you believe.  9 of his 18 goals last season were from the penalty spot, and £1 to £2m for a League Two player who is in the last year of his contract, come on????[:^)]

[/quote]Since when were we paying £1m to £2m? Either way, he will score more in a bet ter side, that''s obvious and in a relegated side to score 18 goals isn''t a bad return be them from the penalty spot or not.

We really should be putting the likes of MacDonald/Dawkin/Daley/Adeyemi/Habergham/Stephens/Francomb on loan for a year (with us paying the wages) on the table here. Maybe even 2 or 3 of them.

[quote user="Barclay hero"]More to the point is he any better than what we already have? And if not would he be happy being on the bench?[/quote]

I used to live in Kent so went to watch the Gills a bit. I''ve seen Simeon a few times and I am certain he could be a hit in the Championship. He is fast, has a lot of aggression, an eye for goal and a bit of an attitude... In a way he reminds me a little of Leon McKenzie - The good and the bad sides of him.The boys a winner though and has the potential to play in the Prem... He just needs nurturing.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

[/quote]

Wasn''t something similar said about Holt - look how many he scored

The insertion of the word credible is significant. It suggests that offers have been received that were too low to be considered - including City?

Chirp - you made Jackson sound good until you compared him with Leon McKenzie!

Reading between the lines admittedly but it sounds to me as if this one is lined up with the player and he is now applying some pressure to help the move happen. The quotes from both hessenthaler and scally suggest they will sell they are just trying to entice the right offer from us. Personally, I expect this one to happen.