I know we''re talking different leagues/levels, but does anyone else think there''s a link between Lambert''s style of play with Norwich, and Germany''s, which would come from his time playing in Germany? All the pundits are saying that 4-4-2 is so last century, with modern football played all over the place using a formation more like we did last season. Is Hoolahan our Ozil? Did we do to League 1 teams what Germany did to England? But more importantly, can we carry it on at the next level up?

[quote user="Amarillo"]I know we''re talking different leagues/levels, but does anyone else think there''s a link between Lambert''s style of play with Norwich, and Germany''s, which would come from his time playing in Germany? All the pundits are saying that 4-4-2 is so last century, with modern football played all over the place using a formation more like we did last season. Is Hoolahan our Ozil? Did we do to League 1 teams what Germany did to England? But more importantly, can we carry it on at the next level up?[/quote]

I think there is no link at all to be honest. The German national team have only really started playing in the fashion they did last night at the start of the World Cup after they lost Ballack. When Lambert was in Germany most teams in the League there also played 4-4-2 as did the German national team. Obviously having played in another country he has picked up some outside of the fairly insular world of English League football (how many teams did we play against last year who lined up 4-4-2?)

I would say our formation came about from lack of wingers rather than anything else. Weren''t Colchester a 4-4-2 on the first day of the season? Didn''t Wycombe always line up 4-4-2?

I think there''s a shared element of pragmatism - of building the system to fit the players, not forcing the players into a system you want. We use a diamond because it gets the most out of our star players, rather than forcing Wes out on the left in a conventional 442.

I agree with the points above. I would add though that Lambo obviously is a fan of German footballs methodology as he''s out on a refresher training course this summer I believe. He certainly has that winning mentality about him that the Germans stereotypically have. I think it was an interview with Holt on MFW where he stated that if Norwich went in at HT one goal down, Lambert''s response was always we''re going to win this game... not guys we can get back into this etc...

[quote user="thirdlion"]I think there''s a shared element of pragmatism - of building the system to fit the players, not forcing the players into a system you want. We use a diamond because it gets the most out of our star players, rather than forcing Wes out on the left in a conventional 442.
[/quote]

Agreed. Lambert came up with the system to suit our players. He put round pegs into round holes. Who is to say England woudln''t of done better if you had of put Joe Cole on the left, dropped Lamps and put Gerrard in the middle? I don''t think this is a german thing just good management.

As for the 4-4-2 it is getting used less and less at certain levels and seems to slowly be gettign replaced by various versions of 4-3-3. Whether you play a 4-1-2-2-1 with a holding midfielder and two wingers like Barcelona or you paly a 4-2-3-1 Like Germany and Holland do.

The 4-3-3 is seen as more fluid in it''s various forms. It''s can also be stronger in the middle of the park as you tend to play with at least one dedicated holding midfielder (or two in Holland''s case). This allows runners from the centre of the midfield to join up with the attack. It also lets teams make to most out of thier top attacking midfielders. Would Messi be as influential without the freedom to roam about?

Germany''s full backs weren''t overly attacking so they didn''t need a specific holiding midfielder which allowed them to play Ozil in the hole like hoolahan does. Barce on the other hand use one and this allows their two fullbacks (especially Alves) to act almost like a winger at time which suits them as the likes of Messi, Pedro and Henry liek to cut in from the flanks.

Davo