Sign in to follow this  
Its only my opinion

Are we over optamistic about next season?

In our relegated squad we had lot''s of good players who i think could get in our current squad, such as: Leroy Lita,Alan Lee,Ryan Bertrand,Alan Gow,Dejan Stevanovic,Sammy Clingan,Chris Killan,David Carney,Lee Croft,Arturo Lupoli,David Marshall,Antoine Sibierski,Johnathon Grounds,John Kennedy,David Bell,Jason Shakell,Gary Doherty,Matthew Pattison...Then current players such as Adam Dury,Daryl Russell and Wes Hoolahan.

Those are the players that got us relegated, I can''t see that our current squad on paper are alot better than those Yet we seem to think we have a chance of promotion.

Lambert is are far better manager than Roeder/Gunn but to get promotion are we currently over rateing our players as they played in a far easier league last season?

[quote user="Its only my opinion"]

In our relegated squad we had lot''s of good players who i think could get in our current squad, such as: Leroy Lita,Alan Lee,Ryan Bertrand,Alan Gow,Dejan Stevanovic,Sammy Clingan,Chris Killan,David Carney,Lee Croft,Arturo Lupoli,David Marshall,Antoine Sibierski,Johnathon Grounds,John Kennedy,David Bell,Jason Shakell,Gary Doherty,Matthew Pattison...Then current players such as Adam Dury,Daryl Russell and Wes Hoolahan.

Those are the players that got us relegated, I can''t see that our current squad on paper are alot better than those Yet we seem to think we have a chance of promotion.

Lambert is are far better manager than Roeder/Gunn but to get promotion are we currently over rateing our players as they played in a far easier league last season?

[/quote]Better than Blackpool''s side, that much is for certain.But talent is very much a third rate factor in Championship football.No, we are certainly not "over optimistic".

He played 3 games at the world cup you can''t say that about any of our squad.

[/quote]New Zealand had a butch looking woman and 3 sheep in their squad of 22.

"Our we over optimistic about next season?"  Yes, but then we always are! lol

[/quote]

And made a handful of sub appearances for us, so was hardly "responsible" for our relegation. The same could be said of Stefanovic and Kennedy (long term injury), Lupoli and David Bell(unbelievably offloaded )

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Its only my opinion"]

[/quote]

And made a handful of sub appearances for us, so was hardly "responsible" for our relegation. The same could be said of Stefanovic and Kennedy (long term injury), Lupoli and David Bell(unbelievably offloaded )

[/quote]Bell wanted to be closer to the midlands I think.

thirdlion, I was tempted to stop at Chris Killen, carried on and saw the next name in David Carney, then stopped reading.

I wouldn''t say we''re over optimistic, we have one of the best up and coming managers in the game, last two seasons ago we played Hoolahan on the left wing for the most part where he wasn''t so influential. Our new players in Surman and Ward are better than most of those listed above, and they are OUR players, many of our players of 2 years ago were on loan, naturally they won''t want it as much as our current squad do.

I think the majority on here believe we can finish top 10, and top 6 if we manage to keep our best players, perhaps add another one or two, and stay relatively fit over the course of the season... realistic if you ask me.

[quote user="John"][quote user="Its only my opinion"]

[/quote]

Better than Blackpool''s side, that much is for certain.

But talent is very much a third rate factor in Championship football.

No, we are certainly not "over optimistic".
[/quote]

How can you say we are better than Blackpools side. I think people seriously underestemate how good they were last year. They had the best player in league by far in Charlie Adam and played to their strengths perfectly.

We are not in the same boat as them at the minute so to say we are better than them is absolute bollox!!!!

[quote user="Wallerboi"][quote user="John"][quote user="Its only my opinion"]

[/quote]Better than Blackpool''s side, that much is for certain.But talent is very much a third rate factor in Championship football.No, we are certainly not "over optimistic".[/quote]

How can you say we are better than Blackpools side. I think people seriously underestemate how good they were last year. They had the best player in league by far in Charlie Adam and played to their strengths perfectly.

We are not in the same boat as them at the minute so to say we are better than them is absolute bollox!!!!

[/quote]You have read that wrong.I didn''t say that is currently the case (though it is to an extent arguable), but i''m afraid no one is going to convince me that the Blackpool side that won promotion had a greater pedigree, nor mass of talent than the side IOMO highlighted. There are so many other aspects of play, and behind the scenes work that play out over the course of a season, along with a dose of fortuity. General individual talent of players is a minimal, but welcome recipe for promotion, usually only starkly apparent in as little as 1 to 4 of the main contenders for promotion.As for Charlie Adam being the best player in the League "by far"? Best player? Debatable."By far"? Very dubious.

Reason for optimism is clear...

First 9 words of the last paragraph from the OP

In a word.... yes , we will not finish in the top 6 , we lack enough Championship standard players and our strikeforce is weak at this level.

[quote user="PL"]Difference is.. that season all of them players were a bunch of individuals..
Now, we have a unit, a team.[/quote]

Exactly, those players didn''t care about Norwich. We now have a bunch of good players that are ours and we have time to let them gel and become a team, thats the difference.

[quote user="Ncfc"]In a word.... yes , we will not finish in the top 6 , we lack enough Championship standard players and our strikeforce is weak at this level.
[/quote]Why call yourself ncfc when all you ever do is put them down?

[quote user="Ncfc"]Afraid next season people will see why Grant Holt has spent nearly his whole career at League1 and 2 level ,honestly any striker would have scored plenty playing in that Norwich side last season even Cureton . Whole different ball game in the Championship a massive jump in class and one i cannot see Holt being up to.[/quote]

[quote user="Ncfc"]We are a skint football club and every signing we make screams that out at you , we are supposedly backing Lambert with the finances to push for the top 6 well if thats the case i expect us to be spending £3 or 4 million in the next few weeks and thats a minimum  because the signings so far would be poor a division lower.[/quote]

[quote user="Ncfc"]Star striker , easy there wont be one ,we have not got the money to buy one and nobody like Sharp or Ebanks Blake will join a team just promoted from League 1 . We will end up with a lower league striker like Jackson at Gillingham somebody to give the guys a helping hand .Oh and Nicky Bailey looks set to join Middlesboro another player we were supposed to be interested in but never had the financial clout to sign .[/quote]

[quote user="Ncfc"]If anybody offered us a million for Grant Holt we should snatch their arm off.[/quote]

[quote user="Ncfc"][quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Ncfc"]Doubt theres any truth in the Keane story as its being reported they have now upped their Chopra bid to over £4million .[/quote]Let''s not knock Norwich today, let''s big-up Piswich instead! [^o)][/quote]
Well that is ambition to reach the Premiership and all funded by that big bad Mr Evans , if only Norwich could afford a decent Championship player but the truth is sadly they cannot and thats why we are signing rubbish .
[/quote]

Yep! You sure are a diehard Norwich fan!

Its about how good you play as a team, not how good each individual is. England proved that last night.

[quote user="macdougalls perm"]Glad that you pointed this out Lapps, because I thought I was in danger of sounding like I was on a witch-hunt with this bloke [:)][Y] [/quote]I also noticed most of the threads he posted on had contributions from wrathsajoke! Hmm! [^o)]

[quote user="Ncfc"]In a word.... yes , we will not finish in the top 6 , we lack enough Championship standard players and our strikeforce is weak at this level.
[/quote]Im 100% sure PL hasnt finished in the transfer market...so how can u possibly make this statement???  Also how do you know our strikeforce is WEAK at this level??? its untested....look how many of us got G.Holt wrong last season!!! i for one did and im glas he made me eat my words...humble pie never tasted sooooo goooood

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="macdougalls perm"]Glad that you pointed this out Lapps, because I thought I was in danger of sounding like I was on a witch-hunt with this bloke [:)][Y] [/quote]I also noticed most of the threads he posted on had contributions from wrathsajoke! Hmm! [^o)][/quote]Very well done Lapps. [Y]Norwich City''s answer to Sherlock Holmes. Sherlock Holmes

Truth is sometimes hard to take isnt it , i bet you were one of the millions who thought England had a squad capable of winning the World Cup .Just because you support a team it does not mean you have to big up and make every signing out to be superb , for me we have made one ok signing and one good signing and the squad is top heavy with league one players who wont challenge for a top 6 spot and i stick with that opinion but you keep on pretending they are all superb signings just as you did with Grants Roeders and Gunns .... etc etc etc .

I''m still wondering ncfc why you haven''t defended the argument against you... in that Holt/Martin partnership is UNTESTED at championship level... so how does that make them weak? For all you or I know they could maintain form and score around 20 goals each.

A typical negative pre-season fan who will either come back boasting and gloating about knowing it all if things go wrong, or will soon disappear into the shadows if it pays off.

Have a bit of faith in the most promising manager we have had for a while for goodness sake.

Of course there is good reason for optimism! Paul Lambert has created a well-oiled machine with a winning mentality and a visible togetherness.

Overall, his judgement seems pretty good when it comes to most aspects of being a successful football manager. He favours the German-esque way of doing things; like focusing on winning – that seems a pretty sensible thing to do!

I’m delighted the Norwich pre-season prep will be starting over there – look what it did for Colchester when Lambo took that squad to the same camp last season. Those players came out of the traps rather well didn’t they? Scoring seven times in their first away game if my memory serves me right…

Competent players with a real zest for what they''re doing will typically achieve far more than technically gifted ones with a less-than-helpful focus.

I don’t think I am over-optimistic; if the board and the first team manager say they are aiming to create a team to challenge for a top 6 place in the Championship then I am delighted to get right behind them.

Why anyone would pay for a season ticket and do anything less is beyond me?

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]Of course there is good reason for optimism! Paul Lambert has created a well-oiled machine with a winning mentality and a visible togetherness.

Overall, his judgement seems pretty good when it comes to most aspects of being a successful football manager. He favours the German-esque way of doing things; like focusing on winning – that seems a pretty sensible thing to do!

I’m delighted the Norwich pre-season prep will be starting over there – look what it did for Colchester when Lambo took that squad to the same camp last season. Those players came out of the traps rather well didn’t they? Scoring seven times in their first away game if my memory serves me right…

Competent players with a real zest for what they''re doing will typically achieve far more than technically gifted ones with a less-than-helpful focus.

I don’t think I am over-optimistic; if the board and the first team manager say they are aiming to create a team to challenge for a top 6 place in the Championship then I am delighted to get right behind them.

Why anyone would pay for a season ticket and do anything less is beyond me?[/quote]Delighted to know reasoning is atleast prevailing with some on this board.

My stance on next season is-

We have an ambitious manager who seems able to get the best out of the players at his disposal (unlike the England manager) and seems to be going for it. We have an ambitious CE who has gone away from the little old Norwich stereotype we have been eternally stamped with and can see we are a club capable of so much more. We have a squad that has momentum after last season.

With all these factors plus the new signings and looking at what Blackpool did last season I''ll be disapointed if we don''t make a decent challenge to get in the top 6!

Now I don''t consider that over optimistic!

I did stop myself the other day and think I might be getting a bit too carried away but I don''t think we are.

We have Paul Lambert.  He is the best up and coming manager in Britain and he has proved to be succesful at every club, whether that be winning the league, getting an average team in the play offs, or saving a team from a relegation battle, they are all succesful seasons.  Also Lambert done everything right last season whether its League 1 or not.  He made the right decisions at the right time and got everyone together as a team.

Also despite most of the squad being unproven at Championship level we have a better squad than most Championship teams.  We have a better team than the likes of Watford, Scunthorpe and Barnsley and we are on a level par with teams like Sheff United, Bristol City and Swansea.  So with that squad why can''t we at least get top 10.

Play offs could be just out of our reach for next season but top 10 is more than realistic.

Ncfc is a binner

I''m sure in his sad little world posting on here rubbishing City will not only somehow how dent our chances and abilities, but help his runty little club. A club whose manager has gone from saying that he would lie a couple of freebies in before the pre season starts, to admitting that players would have to leave in order to fund any incoming players to finally acepting that they paupers will most likely have to play next season with the same squad as last season.

Clearly there not being a pot to p*** in at poorman road but loads of unwanted dross that no one else wants either. Over optimism on their part would be that some time might be spent out of the bottom three.

As to us it is not about ''proven'' championship players. What we have is untested players. Alln proven'' playuers start that way. All failing players were ''proven players''. We have a squad that looks up to the tasj of proving themselves as does the manager. We have a ground that will now hold 27,000 and a fanbase to regularly fill it. The board looks to have a steely determination about it and the resources to strenghthen the squad if needed further on.

Thta is why so many are optimistic. That doesn''t mean we are not realistic. Much can happen between now and next May, Much that may well ''derail us a bit. We don''t know how well other clubs will be, though it is a fair cert that this will be one of the weakest seasons for some while. Many are overburdened with debt and like our impoverished neighbours will struggle to bring in decent players, struggle to shift out the dross and face a bigger struggle to hold onto anyone worth having.

If one thing alone should give us optimism it is the manner in which things have happened since April. " Yep, we''ve won the title, have a drink, have a jig now lets get on with what we are here for. No pages and pages of speculation on players and not too much sentiment (Doc/Rose shown the door)

The club were planning the extra sitting way back on the asumption that we were up. Planning it on the knowledge that there is going to be a high demand for seats. Ask yourself why. Look how quickly players were brought in. Not for us the waiting around to see whats left.

All things point to a club that finally knows exactly what it''s doing, what is needed and is dead set on getting it.

Over optimistic nahhh - just a realitic understanding of what is happening at Carrow Road.