Sign in to follow this  
city till i die

Korey Smith

what''s going happen to the lad, going from player of the season (my view) to warming the bench??

we have had an influx of new midfielder''s already, surely its going to knock the boys confidence, do you think he should be given a starting place for Watford!!!

[quote user="city till i die"]what''s going happen to the lad, going from player of the season (my view) to warming the bench??

we have had an influx of new midfielder''s already, surely its going to knock the boys confidence, do you think he should be given a starting place for Watford!!![/quote]He has to step up a league and fight for his place, same as everyone else in the squad. If he''s good enough he plays!

All depends on which formation Lambert decides to go for. Options on the right side could be further extended if we bring someone like Green in to play as an out-and-out winger on that side.

I hope he gets to start - he certainly deserves it following on from last season. However, we must remember that was his first full season, now we''ve made the step up in league maybe his first team chances will be limited.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="city till i die"]what''s going happen to the lad, going from player of the season (my view) to warming the bench?? we have had an influx of new midfielder''s already, surely its going to knock the boys confidence, do you think he should be given a starting place for Watford!!![/quote]

He has to step up a league and fight for his place, same as everyone else in the squad. If he''s good enough he plays!
[/quote]BANG<NAIL<HEAD[Y]

[quote user="city-till-i-die"][quote user="morty"][quote user="city till i die"]what''s going happen to the lad, going from player of the season (my view) to warming the bench?? we have had an influx of new midfielder''s already, surely its going to knock the boys confidence, do you think he should be given a starting place for Watford!!![/quote]He has to step up a league and fight for his place, same as everyone else in the squad. If he''s good enough he plays![/quote]BANG<NAIL<HEAD[Y][/quote]He was my favourite player this season and I would love him to cement his place in the side, but no one gets in Lambert''s team without deserving to be there I suspect.

Well said Mort.

I always have an extra special amount of love for the yoots that come through the ranks, but if he isn''t good enough, then he can''t play. We have carried people for too long. That said, I think he will do well, remember last season was his 1st full season as a pro and he s going to bulk up with age, think he will do well.

Still hope we get Danny Green too.

Would like to see him play next season but as mentioned above he has to earn the right. I really like Korey i think technichally he''s one of the best produced from our academy in the last 5 years at least. Will need the games to continue his development and i hope he gets them on merit.

Smith will undoubtedly have to fight for his place. Lambert seems to have 2 players for each position. Crofts/Russell, Surman/Lappin, Smith/Fox, Hoolahan/Hughes - maybe the other way round with Fox posing as cover for hoolahan with his passing ability.

We''re all assuming, and probably assuming correctly Surman will start on the left side, from what I''ve seen before he''s a more technically gifted player, a left footed better version of Hughes, rather than a tenacious battler like Korey. I can''t see Lambert playing both Surman and Fox in the same team, for that theory I reckon Korey will be first in line if he proves himself in training :)

I think Smith will have a place next season, it won''t be garenteed, i think we will see after the first few games Lamberts preferd midfield.....

Lambert is very much from the Martin O''Neill school of management in that he doesnt want any of his squad being certain of a place in the side. Korey Smith will have to fight off a lot of competition to start games this season as will the rest of the midfield. I reckon he''ll start more than his fair share of games this season. He was excellent last season and when we were without him I thought the midfield lacked its usual energy and ''bite''. However such were the level of his performances we sometimes forget that he is still only a teenager Lambert is quite rightly worried about burning him out so it is good to see competition around him. I genuinely believe that he and Chris Martin can be top players in the championship in future seasons.

I think he''ll rise to the occasion, wouldn''t suprise me if he was POTS next season.

I can see this lad playing in the premiership, not neccessarily with us and not neccessarily making it in the top division but I think he will get the opportunity at some point.

Would like to see Tom Adeyemi replicating Korey this season.

OTBC

He may be concernedd, as might Hughes, Lappin, GIll et al.

But he is still young, and must realise that the Championship is a new and more difficult challenge, and no-one in the team has any sort of divine right.

It may be that he improves and becomes a fixture in the team, and the other hand he may have found his limit, and he would have to concede that the team is more important than any individual

One thing is very sure .... if he plays he will be playing well enough ...... as will all the other players, otherwise they will not be playing!

At the moment I''d say Smith is a starter, we won''t play I''d be surprised if we started with two of Hughes, Fox and Surman in front of Crofts, they''re all a bit lightweight and not ball winners. I''d have thought at the moment Hughes is backup for all 3 midfield positions (anchorman excluded) and Fox and back-up for Smith ans Surman. I''d be concerned about the midfield as a defensive unit without Korey. Obviously Hoolahan won''t do a lot defensively, and Surman''s lack of pace and strength will be a problem without a tenacious midfielder like Smith to compliment him.

For me, he''s absolutely good enough to be in our first team. I agree he has to step up and fight for his place like the others, but it''s certainly not because he doesn''t have the talent. Besides, the bigger the squad, the more depth we will have. Even if Smith doesn''t start as often, he''ll still make a vital contribution with his play when he does come on.

If he doesn''t start agaisn''t Watford then that is very, very unfair.

He battles, and gives 100% commitment every time.  To acompany that he also has technical skill and is a better passer of the ball than he gets credit for.  I expect him to be one of the top performaers next season and expect him to become one of the hottest youngsters in the Championship.

One slight downside though, if he has a good season again then a lot of clubs will be in for him.

[quote user="Boyo"]

If he doesn''t start agaisn''t Watford then that is very, very unfair.

[/quote]I''m not sure it is.  We''ve brought in so many new midfielders that Lambert clearly thinks this is the area we are weakest in.  I wouldn''t expect to see Lappin or Russell starting (or even at the club) next season, and I doubt Fox, Crofts, Surman have been brought in to warm the bench.  Hoolahan will be the likeliest starter, which means Smith could well be a sub at the start of the season.  Perhaps easing him into the Championship would be fairer than throwing him in.

If he plays like he did last season then it would be very hard not to put him in!

Like some of the other sensible posters, I want the team filled with the best available 11 players we have at the time of game. If that includes Korey Smith then fair play to the lad.

This is why I don''t go with all the stuff people were saying last summer like "play the youngsters now we''re in League 1" or about how good Adeyami is. My opinion of Adeyami having watched him in 1st and reserev team action is that hes got potential but unless he improves he will not make the grade. I remember fans saying that Ryan Jarvis was going to be the best thing since sliced bread a few years ago!

Don''t know if he will play or not, but if he isn''t, I''d rather him on loan banging in some goals than sitting on the bench. [y]

[quote user="Brendo "]

Don''t know if he will play or not, but if he isn''t, I''d rather him on loan banging in some goals than sitting on the bench. [y]

[/quote]

I don''t really think that''s his role, something I think he readily admits to.

[quote user="Legend Iwan"][quote user="Brendo "]

[/quote]

I don''t really think that''s his role, something I think he readily admits to.

[/quote]

He scored a few. [:)]

in my team he has his first team cemented already

but with so many midfielders now he will have to fight - this may just help him to improve and fulfill and increase his potential with the extra competition around him