Sign in to follow this  
kc canary

Now seriously Worrying about Spillane Leaving

He was due to make an appearence at theNofolk show today with Holt, C. Martin, Wes and Fox but was not there? Could this mean he is on his way? i dont want to be reading too much into anything, and would love a different reason for him not being there as i think he has the potential to be a very good player for us

Not at all bothered. Would prefer him to go as it would force Lambert to bring in another RB who would probably be better because if not we would only have Martin and Francomb who is nowhere near ready.

If Lambert was in the process of selling him, surely he wouldn''t have selected him to make an appearance at the Norfolk Show... Or am i silly in thinking this?

Im must be missing something by not been on the Spillane bandwagon.

Surley if he were that special, he''d be playing first team football by now.

Agreed, R Martin isnt good enough, but Spillane is no by no means the answer, not for me anyway.

[quote user="Curious Canary"]If Lambert was in the process of selling him, surely he wouldn''t have selected him to make an appearance at the Norfolk Show... Or am i silly in thinking this?[/quote]

Wont be decided by Lambert.

[quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="Curious Canary"]If Lambert was in the process of selling him, surely he wouldn''t have selected him to make an appearance at the Norfolk Show... Or am i silly in thinking this?
[/quote] Wont be decided by Lambert.[/quote]

Well, Mr. Insider, who will it be decided by?

[quote user="Mustachio Furioso"]

[quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="Curious Canary"]If Lambert was in the process of selling him, surely he wouldn''t have selected him to make an appearance at the Norfolk Show... Or am i silly in thinking this?

[/quote]

I believe it was Spillane''s own decision so that he can get first-team football which he couldn''t see happening at Norwich which would hint that Lambert could have been looking at other RBs and Spillane caught wind of this and realised he would be further down the pecking order.

Also Lambert may be more impressed by Francomb who signed a pro-contract today.

[quote user="Docs Big Nose that was at the Heart of the Defence"][quote user="Mustachio Furioso"]

[/quote]

I believe it was Spillane''s own decision so that he can get first-team football which he couldn''t see happening at Norwich which would hint that Lambert could have been looking at other RBs and Spillane caught wind of this and realised he would be further down the pecking order.

Also Lambert may be more impressed by Francomb who signed a pro-contract today.

[/quote]

Maybe I''m missing something here but has Spillane actually came out and said this?

enough about Spillane leavingYes he looked good, scored a great goal. However also had a couple of dodgy performances imo and if these endless rumours are true, Lambert has other plans, hopefully more ambitious because there are certainly better RBs out there. Other threads are even arguing which is his better position, so not even stand out in either RB or CB from what we''ve seen.R.Martin-----Whitbread------Ward------Drury/Smith     looks fine to me with another RB brought in

Spillane''s main problem is that he has never really nailed down a starting place in a position. You can suffer from being tagged as that "handy utility player" that can play in a few different positions.

[quote user="Mustachio Furioso"]

[/quote]

Maybe someone in PR perhap?

Im sure Lambert has bigger things to worry than who attends the Norfolk Show!

[quote user="morty"]Spillane''s main problem is that he has never really nailed down a starting place in a position. You can suffer from being tagged as that "handy utility player" that can play in a few different positions.[/quote]very true, I think Carragher has done well to shake off that tag and was/is a great CB

[quote user="kc canary"]He was due to make an appearence at theNofolk show today with Holt, C. Martin, Wes and Fox but was not there? Could this mean he is on his way? i dont want to be reading too much into anything, and would love a different reason for him not being there as i think he has the potential to be a very good player for us[/quote]I''d be far more worried if it was Grant Holt or Wes who''d failed to turn up tbh, if he is on his way I''m sure Lambert has better alternatives lined up.

[quote user="kdncfc"][quote user="kc canary"]He was due to make an appearence at theNofolk show today with Holt, C. Martin, Wes and Fox but was not there? Could this mean he is on his way? i dont want to be reading too much into anything, and would love a different reason for him not being there as i think he has the potential to be a very good player for us[/quote]
I''d be far more worried if it was Grant Holt or Wes who''d failed to turn up tbh, if he is on his way I''m sure Lambert has better alternatives lined up.
[/quote]

One name mentioned was Kerrea Gilbert (sp?) of Arsenal.

Spillane is SO much better than Russell Martin. Yes we could do with a beter right back but Spillane should be our number 1.

As for people not bothered by his departure.. we shouldn''t be in that kind of mood. We have been calling for our own players to come through and now we are getting them through and suddenly its "oh i dont care". Yes we have Francomb, in who i have no doubt will be a great player from what we saw of him last season but it should still be Mickey ahead of Martin.

IMO spillane looked a class act when he was playing in November. At a young age im sure he would have matured into a brilliant championshi[p right back, maybe higher? i would be dissapointed if he were to leave

[quote user="shiplee15"]Spillane is SO much better than Russell Martin. Yes we could do with a beter right back but Spillane should be our number 1. As for people not bothered by his departure.. we shouldn''t be in that kind of mood. We have been calling for our own players to come through and now we are getting them through and suddenly its "oh i dont care". Yes we have Francomb, in who i have no doubt will be a great player from what we saw of him last season but it should still be Mickey ahead of Martin.[/quote]

This is the narrow-minded approach that angers so many on this board. Do you honestly believe Spillane must be better than Martin because he is from the youth system? There are many players from the academy who never made the grade like the Jarvis brothers, Renton, etc. I expect Spillane will also fit into this category in a couple of years. Now there is some pure class in the academy with the likes of Smith, Rudd, Francomb, Dawkin, Steer and Stephens and unfortunatly icky just doesn''t make the grade for me. I will still wish him well in his future career though.

Agrred Spillane is not going to cut it in the Championship too lightweight and not that quick for a young man let him mature elsewhere, I am also concerned that Russell Martin might get done over too

[quote user="Docs Big Nose that was at the Heart of the Defence"] Do you honestly believe Spillane must be better than Martin because he is from the youth system?

[/quote]

At no point did i say this was the case! His performances last year were so much better than Martin''s. Martin looked so insecure on the ball and the amount of poor balls in correlation to his good ones was poor! Spillane looked much more confident and when he was on the ball i didnt worry as much as when Martin had it

I think to tar Renton with the same brush as the Jarvis brothers is a little unfair as his demise was much down to a couple of horrific injuries, but anyway that''s besides the point..

Spillane is anything but lightweight and looked incredibly solid before getting injured. As for the comparison between Martin & Spillane and the complaint that Spillane couldn''t get in the first team, it wasn''t until the back end of the season he came into fitness - and in arguably our most important game of the season, Charlton away, Lambert preferred Spillane at RB to Martin. To

me that suggests Lambert has more confidence in Spillane as a defender!

Lambert has also made it clear that he''s not looking to get rid of anyone yet and everyone has to fight for their place next season.. Why would he suddenly decide to offload someone from one of our thinnest positions when he clearly doesn''t need to?

[quote user="Guy"]I think to tar Renton with the same brush as the Jarvis brothers is a little unfair as his demise was much down to a couple of horrific injuries, but anyway that''s besides the point.. Spillane is anything but lightweight and looked incredibly solid before getting injured. As for the comparison between Martin & Spillane and the complaint that Spillane couldn''t get in the first team, it wasn''t until the back end of the season he came into fitness - and in arguably our most important game of the season, Charlton away, Lambert preferred Spillane at RB to Martin. To me that suggests Lambert has more confidence in Spillane as a defender! Lambert has also made it clear that he''s not looking to get rid of anyone yet and everyone has to fight for their place next season.. Why would he suddenly decide to offload someone from one of our thinnest positions when he clearly doesn''t need to?[/quote]

He still played Martin against Charlton as well. It''s not a case of Lambert getting rid of him but him wsanting to leave for first team football.

Just think about what you said, Spillane leaving for first team action. He started both Spillane and Martin against charlton for a reason. He wanted defensive cover. Starting Spillane at right back shows he has more confidence in his defensive ability over Martin. If Martin was our first choice right back he''d have started and we would have palyed another midfielder. I would be very disappointed if Lambert was to offload him or even if Spillane wanted to leave the club he grew up with only having one decent first team season!!

Spillane was given the nod in defence in that massive game. The lad should know that Lambert has confidence in him, and he should also know he has pre-season to impress even more as well! He shouldn''t feel the need to go anywhere as he has a massive chance to be first team here.