Sign in to follow this  
CanaryJames

Lee Croft joins Huddersfield on loan...

http://www.htafc.com/page/NewsDetail/0,,10312~2080792,00.html

This says it all about the ''quality'' of our squad when we were relegated. Our supposedly best player from that season is now firmly in League One.

Still think he''ll be a great player for Huddersfield in the 3rd tier though.

Lee Clarkes says... Not bad for someone who scored a total of 9 goals whilst at Norwich!"During my time at Norwich (Clark was Assistant during Croft''s spell at Carrow Road) he

was very predominant in creating goals and in the second season he

enjoyed his best goalscoring season when he got into double figures -

and that was in a higher league."
Not bad for someone who scored a total of 9 goals whilst at Norwich!

[quote user="Matt Juler"]Lee Clarkes says... Not bad for someone who scored a total of 9 goals whilst at Norwich!

"During my time at Norwich
(Clark was Assistant during Croft''s spell at Carrow Road) he was very predominant in creating goals and in the second season he enjoyed his best goalscoring season when he got into double figures - and that was in a higher league."

Not bad for someone who scored a total of 9 goals whilst at Norwich!

[/quote]

I thought Crofty was excellent for us and you could never doubt his commitment - good luck to him. If nothing else he has to be loved for his great goal against the binmen :-)

[quote user="Jem"]

I thought Crofty was excellent for us and you could never doubt his commitment - good luck to him. If nothing else he has to be loved for his great goal against the binmen :-)

[/quote]Was a big fan of his too, just showing up how little Lee Clarke knows (especially as his stats were in the same story). 

He had a few good games for us but that was it. He made all these good runs down the wing but could not put a good cross into save his life! I wonder if he will be any better in league one

i still want to know how he managed to get player of the season for us! he''s the sort of player who, for every 5/6 bad games he''d have a good game!

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone?"][quote user="Jem"]

I thought Crofty was excellent for us .......[/quote]

Are you sure?  How many excellent crosses did he make?

I''m amazed he''s good enough for Huddersfield.

I remember that miss kick that found the back of the binners net.

A wingers job is primarily to get crosses into the box, more often than not he failed to do that. He did score a cracker against scum and he did work hard but he is no better than average in the championship imo. He may excel in league one.

Surely the most interesting and amusing part of this story is that having performed adequately at best during our relegation season but still getting POS, he ratted on the club and left to avoid playing in League 1.

A year later, he has flopped with a mediocre Championship team and is playing in League 1.  Whereas Norwich, the team he thought he was too good for is............

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

Surely the most interesting and amusing part of this story is that having performed adequately at best during our relegation season but still getting POS, he ratted on the club and left to avoid playing in League 1.

A year later, he has flopped with a mediocre Championship team and is playing in League 1.  Whereas Norwich, the team he thought he was too good for is............

[/quote]Ta-dahhhhhh!!!Irony.Don''t you just love it! [Y]

Not surprised to see him go there. It was obvious he was gutted when Lee Clark left us, he obviously thought very well of him. And it would seem that, similarly, Clark thinks well of him and rates him as a player.

Don''t blame him for leaving us either not when it looked like we were going to be stuck with a joke like Bryan Gunn for manager.

Hasn''t regularly produced in the Championship for either us and Derby so moving down a League is about right!

Yes I agree that Croft was commited for sure but those who think he was terrific are way out!

Most unjustified player of the season ever!

He done fairly well for us.  He gave 100% in every game and clearly cared for the club that season unlike the others.  He got unfairly criticised quite a lot and still does.

Good luck to him.

Interesting quote in the Times today from an unidentified Prem manager albeit on the subject of what the Premiership does to players in an article titled "Does the English Game ruin players.   I so thought of Crofty and opinions such as yours.

"A lot of fans and pundits see brainless running and determination as much more exciting than intelligent passing and good skills on the ball.  You may be quite indifferent on the ball, but if you play with determination and run like a headless chicken, you are likely to become one of the fans'' favourites"

Interesting quote in the Times today from an unidentified Prem manager albeit on the subject of what the Premiership does to players in an article titled "Does the English Game ruin players.   I so thought of Crofty and opinions such as yours.

"A lot of fans and pundits see brainless running and determination as much more exciting than intelligent passing and good skills on the ball.  You may be quite indifferent on the ball, but if you play with determination and run like a headless chicken, you are likely to become one of the fans'' favourites"

[/quote]

Agreed - fans just want to see someone beating the opposition even if its then wasted.  Hence the popularity of MacNamee

[quote user="Barclay hero"][quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

[/quote]

Agreed - fans just want to see someone beating the opposition even if its then wasted.  Hence the popularity of MacNamee

[/quote]

And hence the extraordinary criticism of Chris Martin on this board

[/quote]

I''m not quite sure I get you but, I think your saying that I do not see the technical stuff that makes you a good footballer but I see the 100% work ethic and therefore those players become my favourite.

I never said he was my favourite player at all.  I said he got unfairly critised a lot which he did.  Like I said he done FAIRLY well for us.  But what I was trying to say was that he gets all this abuse but he was one of very few players who actually gave a sh*t in our relegation season and therefore deserves some credit and that is why I wish him luck.

Also someone then said this why Chris Martin gets critised a lot because people don''t see behind his so called ''laziness''.  Well I have never critisied him and if you read my posts about him you will see that I can see how his technical ability is very good and thus allows him to be ''lazy'' which he isn''t by the way.

Just realised it was you who said about the Chris Martin bit and not someone else*

And my comments about Crofty and especially Chris Martin were not specifically aimed at you.  I had no idea what you thought about Chrissy.

I was responding to your post because I wanted to make a general point .  If that overstated or caricatured what you meant then I am sorry but there are plenty of others who see things in terms of effort and passion not skill and technique.    God, there are even posters on here who want Pearce or Redknapp to manage England for their passion!!

Croft and Martin are fine examples of the argument.  If I offended or misrepresented you then I am happy to apologise.