Sign in to follow this  
Canarygeorge

Squad numbers announced.

CITY ANNOUNCE NEW SQUAD NUMBERS

Posted on: Thu 01 Jul 2010

CITY have today announced their squad numbers for the 2010-11 npower Championship.

2 Russell Martin

3 Adam Drury

4 Mathew Gill

5 Michael Nelson

6 Zak Whitbread

7 Andrew Crofts

8 Stephen Hughes

9 Grant Holt

11 Andrew Surman

13 Declan Rudd

14 Wes Hoolahan

15 David Fox

16 Chris Martin

17 Tom Adeyemi

18 Korey Smith

19 Simon Lappin

22 Elliott Ward

23 Oli Johnson

24 Anthony McNamee

25 Luke Daley

26 Steven Smith

27 Cody McDonald

28 George Francomb

29 Josh Dawkin

30 Owain Tudur Jones

31 Jed Steer

32 Michael Spillane

33 Jens Berthel Askou

34 Rhoys Wiggins

35 David Stephens

36 Sam Habergham

Numbers 1 & 10 available to new 1st teamers, to a lesser extent number 12, and a couple of stocking fillers in 20 & 21?

Russell was 20. He''s gone then. Not suprised and not disappointed!

Clear gaps for a striker and Forster as you''ve said.

And a midfielder/winger we hope!

Surprised Gill and Tudor Jones are still here.Looks like we are in the market for another striker then!

I think the likes of Tudor-Jones/etc still have squad numbers as they are contracted to the club.

Like with Spillane (who looks set to leave), he''s got a place here until he goes.

Russel is out of contract, so no longer ours and doesn''t have one.

I expect Tudor-Jones to leave, but suspect Gill MAY have a future here.

Where did you get that from?

If Tudor-Jones is staying I can''t see him moving from 7 to 30 and if Spillane is staying I can''t see his moving from 15 to 32.

[quote user="morty"]Surprised Gill and Tudor Jones are still here.

Looks like we are in the market for another striker then!

[/quote]

Tudur Jones has had his number 7 taken off of him though which would suggest he is leaving..

Surely the fact that Tudur Jones and Spillane have moved significantly down the list - although I know they are only numbers - is quite a big indication that Lambert doesn''t really have plans for them?Interesting that Gill has still got number four.  Maybe as Russell looks 99% certain he''s left, that he''s going to keep hold of him for a little longer at least.

These are just numbers.

Most have been kept the same which is very fair to fans with numbered shirts.  Does anyone seriously think Gill at 4 is a first teamer player before Hoolahan at 14?

Perhaps Crofts and Fox has superstitious attachments to 7 and 15?  Many players do have a special number.   Perhaps Spillane and OTJ didn''t mind changing.   Perhaps they tossed for it.  I can think of a dozen more likely scenarios than Paul Lambert showing his favour like some sort of reality show voting procedure.

To suggest that some sort of plan or design arises in the allocation of shirt numbers is beyond bizarre

the only numbers i think show any relevence are 1 as thats 99% your 1st choice keeper, 10 as  they are usually a striker/attacking mid (except we have wes at 14!) aswell as 9 who is your target man (holt) and possibly 13 as a sub keeper. the others are just numbers given out, maybe if a player likes a certain  number (doc wanted 12 last year for eg.)

Looking on the black side, I assume that this means that the likes of CT, Nana and Brenda will now be conducting very public prognostications about which number/name they''re going to have on their new shirts? I for one can''t wait.....

The main significance is the empty number 10 shirt, which clearly shows that there is a gap in the squad for a striker. I think we all knew that the club are on the look out for a first team ''keeper so no real surprise about the number 1 shirt. Maybe a couple of players will be announced at the show to fill these gaps? (Unlikely, but it''s always nice to hope)

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

These are just numbers.

Most have been kept the same which is very fair to fans with numbered shirts.  Does anyone seriously think Gill at 4 is a first teamer player before Hoolahan at 14?

Perhaps Crofts and Fox has superstitious attachments to 7 and 15?  Many players do have a special number.   Perhaps Spillane and OTJ didn''t mind changing.   Perhaps they tossed for it.  I can think of a dozen more likely scenarios than Paul Lambert showing his favour like some sort of reality show voting procedure.

To suggest that some sort of plan or design arises in the allocation of shirt numbers is beyond bizarre

[/quote]Stop being such a misery guts and let people speculate if they want, its all part of the building excitement for the new season.[:)]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

These are just numbers.

[/quote]

Stop being such a misery guts and let people speculate if they want, its all part of the building excitement for the new season.

[:)]
[/quote]

We''re not at home to Mr Grumpy, morts. [:P]

These are just numbers.

[/quote]

Stop being such a misery guts and let people speculate if they want, its all part of the building excitement for the new season.

[/quote]Im still in talks with Lambert about filling that number 10 jersey...do they do xxxl????

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="morty"][quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

These are just numbers.

[/quote]Stop being such a misery guts and let people speculate if they want, its all part of the building excitement for the new season.[:)][/quote]

We''re not at home to Mr Grumpy, morts. [:P]

[/quote]No, indeed we are not Mr Beau.[:)]

[quote user="city-till-i-die"][quote user="morty"][quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

These are just numbers.

[/quote]Stop being such a misery guts and let people speculate if they want, its all part of the building excitement for the new season.[:)][/quote]Im still in talks with Lambert about filling that number 10 jersey...do they do xxxl????[/quote]Oh, you on a diet then?*runs off really quickly*

[quote user="morty"][quote user="city-till-i-die"][quote user="morty"][quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

These are just numbers.

[/quote]

[/quote]Im still in talks with Lambert about filling that number 10 jersey...do they do xxxl????[/quote]

Oh, you on a diet then?

*runs off really quickly*
[/quote]LOL....discusions have broken down...failed my medical...BAD BACK

[quote user="morty"][quote user="city-till-i-die"][quote user="morty"][quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

These are just numbers.

[/quote]

[/quote]Im still in talks with Lambert about filling that number 10 jersey...do they do xxxl????[/quote]

Oh, you on a diet then?

[/quote]

Just walk fairly briskly, lardy boy will never catch you. In any case he''ll want to stop for a doughnut after 100 yards[:P]

These are just numbers.

[/quote]

[/quote]

I am not stopping anyone speculating.  I suppose for some there is nothing better to do having finshed trying to fish the moon out of the mill pond.

I will re enter this thread when it reaches the point that Widow Turley''s donkey is slaughtered and the entrails read to see whether Smith or Fox is the first choice right sided midfielder.   See you in about five hours.

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="morty"][quote user="city-till-i-die"][quote user="morty"][quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

These are just numbers.

[/quote]

Oh, you on a diet then?

[/quote]

Just walk fairly briskly, lardy boy will never catch you. In any case he''ll want to stop for a doughnut after 100 yards[:P]

[/quote]Meeeeoooowww lol   you wait till i see you nxt time SHORTY[;)]

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

These are just numbers.

[/quote]

[/quote]

I am not stopping anyone speculating.  I suppose for some there is nothing better to do having finshed trying to fish the moon out of the mill pond.

I will re enter this thread when it reaches the point that Widow Turley''s donkey is slaughtered and the entrails read to see whether Smith or Fox is the first choice right sided midfielder.   See you in about five hours.

[/quote]its Fox...all ready forseen in the tea leafs[;)]

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="morty"][quote user="city-till-i-die"][quote user="morty"][quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

These are just numbers.

[/quote]Stop being such a misery guts and let people speculate if they want, its all part of the building excitement for the new season.[:)][/quote]Im still in talks with Lambert about filling that number 10 jersey...do they do xxxl????[/quote]Oh, you on a diet then?*runs off really quickly*[/quote]

[/quote]Blimey, you keyboard warrior lol.

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

These are just numbers.

[/quote]Stop being such a misery guts and let people speculate if they want, its all part of the building excitement for the new season.[:)][/quote]

[/quote]Thats the spirit.[:)]

http://www.pinkun.com/content/pinkun/norwich-city/story.aspx?brand=PINKUNOnline&category=Norwich&tBrand=PINKUNOnline&tCategory=xDefault&itemid=NOED01+Jul+2010+15%3A38%3A36%3A557

what position is the number 10 shirt used for

I for one think it''s quite interesting and fairly pertinent. As people have already remarked upon, Rusty''s basically off and Spillane and Tudur-Jones look as though their number is up too.

More interestingly for me is the fact that Gill is still our number 4 which means Lambert still rates him and sees him in his first team. Personally I wouldn''t. Also Whitbread is our number 6, not Ward.

Not exactly earth-shattering stuff but it does give an indication into Lambert''s way of thinking

[quote user="Chunky Norwich"]I for one think it''s quite interesting and fairly pertinent. As people have already remarked upon, Rusty''s basically off and Spillane and Tudur-Jones look as though their number is up too.

More interestingly for me is the fact that Gill is still our number 4 which means Lambert still rates him and sees him in his first team. Personally I wouldn''t. Also Whitbread is our number 6, not Ward.

Not exactly earth-shattering stuff but it does give an indication into Lambert''s way of thinking[/quote]Or you could look at it the other way and say that maybe Rusty is still close to signing a new contract after all, given that his number hasn''t been reassigned to anyone else.Don''t understand giving Gill the no 4 shirt, but I don''t think it makes much difference - Lambert will play those players he thinks will perform best for each game, not those that have the right numbers on their shirts.

Has the number 12 shirt been retired due to the fact the great man Gary Doherty has left the club.

It will need a special player to step into the 12 shirt.

[quote user="steakbearnaise"][quote user="Chunky Norwich"]I for one think it''s quite interesting and fairly pertinent. As people have already remarked upon, Rusty''s basically off and Spillane and Tudur-Jones look as though their number is up too.

Not exactly earth-shattering stuff but it does give an indication into Lambert''s way of thinking[/quote]Or you could look at it the other way and say that maybe Rusty is still close to signing a new contract after all, given that his number hasn''t been reassigned to anyone else.Don''t understand giving Gill the no 4 shirt, but I don''t think it makes much difference - Lambert will play those players he thinks will perform best for each game, not those that have the right numbers on their shirts.[/quote]

But then you''d give Russell the 20 shirt and if he stays, he''s got it, if he goes, it becomes free. More logical surely?

And yes, Lambert is going to play the right players for performance reasons rather than having the numbers 1-11 on the pitch but if didn''t matter at all, he''d have left them all where they were; rather than moving Whitbread, Smith and Johnson down and Spillane and Tudur-Jones up