Sign in to follow this  
Bing Bang

Target man or Pacey Striker

There seems to be a mixed opinion on what sort of striker needs to join the club.

IMO we need to bring in a quick player, one which will make runs in behind defences as we havent got that sort of player in the side and throughout the squad we seem to lack any real pace. I am goin to asume that Holt will play mostly next season out of all the strikers (injury permitting) in which case a player to work off him will be ideal. I''ve noticed a lot of people are calling for another target man sort of striker but i dont see the point in bringing another player in that will sit on the bench if Holt is available. I know we looked a differant side wen Holt missed games last year so i can see why people are sayin this, but with a quick striker it will give us another option all together.

I am not forgetting about Chris Martin of course and expect him to start alongside Holt as i rate him extremely highly and he should do well next season. Just thinking about bringing somthing differant into the side, rather than somthing we already have.

Taking into account that realisticly only one striker will sign soon, who and what sort of player do you think the team needs?

Bellamy style striker for me, we need some pace! Simeon Jackson....

I''m not a huge fan of the "target" man and agree with you when you say a fast striker is needed. Holt is a target man in a sense but he is far more effective with the ball being played into his chest or his feet rather than onto head.

We avoid long ball football and without Holt to hold the ball up and threaten in front of goal we lack ideas up front, and maybe a quick man can be the answer to that if a more direct style is needed, if Holt is injured, or suspended (the more likely option)

Is Cody/Oli capable of making the step up to being a Championship striker? Only time will tell

We need pace, Cody & Oli struggled to make an impact starting games in League 1 so I can''t see them doing a lot in the Championship other than coming off the bench late in games.Simeon Jackson would be a fantastic signing in my opinion, gives Lambert another option.

If we are going to play a diamond formation again, a large striker is not really needed - how many heading-for-goal crosses will he receive from the wing? If our midfield is going to be as good as it looks, then passing along the ground and quick movement are surely what we need.

If, on the other hand, we sign a speedy winger, then more heading ability in the penalty area from crosses will be needed.

On balance a quick player allows him to get past the defence to receive passes, while a target man may encourage "hoof-it" passes. This season we shall find more effective large central defenders, who will snaffle much in the air but may be vulnerable to quick passing.

I still believe we need both. Jackson for me would be perfect,

I know we won the games that Holt was not a part of but I still feel we need a back up slash competition for Holt for when he gets suspended and he will get suspended a couple of times again this season, 

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]We need pace, Cody & Oli struggled to make an impact starting games in League 1 so I can''t see them doing a lot in the Championship other than coming off the bench late in games.Simeon Jackson would be a fantastic signing in my opinion, gives Lambert another option.[/quote]IF it has to be one or the other I would agree with that. However (and without being a fan of hoofball) I would throw the following statistics from last season into the fray.Holt started 39 League games. We lost six of those. Ie, one in six and a half games.Of the seven he missed, we lost three. Getting close of half of them.

I think Jackson is actually realistic too. Coz he''s in league 2 with Gillingham, right? So he''s gonna want a move, and everyone wants to play for us. [:D]

Pacey Striker for me.

I would say Holt and Martin are quite simular players (Obviously Holt wins more in the air) both lack pace BUT are excellent finishes. We need a small ''nippy'' number 10 syle player who runs all game long, gets in behind the defence and gets on the end of knock ons

Although some may argue we have this type of player in Johnson or McDonald. IMO i see Johnson as more of a playmaker (Simular to Hoolahan) move than an out and out striker. I dont think McDonald had the needed experience so unfortunatly he could see himself down the pecking order.

"Michael Owen"

I think someone with the same playing style as him would be perfect!

Owen may find it hard to get many game for Man U this coming season....maybe a loan deal? ;) If only!

I feel we need a pacey goal poacher. The one example of a striker who would be at our level would be Earnmore. Someone who can get in behind defenders with pace if they push up but is also dangerous in and around the penalty area. I know we won''t bring him back but he would fit in well with this team and the style of play we seem to be aiming at.

In Hoolahan, Huges, Fox and Surman we have passing players so a threaded through pass to a player like Earnmore would suit us better than a cross to a target man. A pacey forward would also make us more effective on the counter than we are at the moment and that never a bad thing even if you don''t set out to be a counter attacking team.

I think if we are looking for another striker we don''t want to be signing back up players. We want to be providing different options. We need soemone who will improve and challenge for a placein the first team. Not someone who can come in just to cover injuries. The loan market is for that type of player if needs be.

Davo

I reckon we could have had a combination in Liam Dickinson, but unfortunately Barnsley beat us to the punch. I think that Jackson would be a good signing, and probably the best that we could afford realistically, unless we could get someone like Nugent or Ebanks-Blake in on loan, but not sure how keen Lambert would be on something like that.

I think we need both, really. Jackson would fit the bill for pacey striker and allow another option. I doubt that there''s enough money for another permanent, so it may be someone like Nile Ranger on loan for the tall striker back-up for Holt. With the keeper situation ongoing, Russell''s departure, and another RB needed now, the squad is still far from sorted. Lambert talks about "at least a couple more signings" and they will be critical to what can be accomplished this year.

Can I just congratulate the OP on coming up with an original topic, and not some regurgitated argument, transfer rumours copy and paste, previously discussed to death or otherwise "would you like it if we beat Ipswich" threads...!

It seems most people want a quick nippy striker to come in which i agree with. In an ideal world i would like to see both come in but im pretty certain Lambert will only be gettin one in at best. Seems like Jackson is that man which i think will be a teriffic signing. IMO Cody is well below the standard required to play at this level and woudnt mind seeing him leave either on loan or permanent. I feel he was ineffective last year wen he did play and the standard was pretty low he was playing against.

[quote user="Wallerboi"]

It seems most people want a quick nippy striker to come in which i agree with. In an ideal world i would like to see both come in but im pretty certain Lambert will only be gettin one in at best. Seems like Jackson is that man which i think will be a teriffic signing. IMO Cody is well below the standard required to play at this level and woudnt mind seeing him leave either on loan or permanent. I feel he was ineffective last year wen he did play and the standard was pretty low he was playing against.

[/quote]He played hardly any minutes of football.... aloan deal would suit us better..that way we can get a good look at him while he is playing all the time...it would hopefuly bring him on aswell