Sign in to follow this  
Arthur Whittle

Heroes and Zeroes.......A perspective.

Two Planes landed in the UK today. One with 23 so called "Heroes" with egos the size of their wallets and the other with 7 TRUE HEROES in a wooden box draped in the union flag. RIP our real Warrior Heroes.

I know this has nothing to do with NCFC but with so much media rubbish about the England team i feel its right to give some voice and perspective about our real issues.

RIP. The bravest of them all.

Q: What''s the difference between a professional footballer and a soldier?A: One is a sportsman who competes in professionally organised tournaments for a living and doesn''t risk his life on a daily basis, and one is a trained fighter whose job is to put his life on the line for his country if required to do so and understands the risks involved.

I have nothing but respect for our armed forces and the impossible job they have to do, but let''s not be silly about this - even if we had won the World Cup final 6-0, 7 English coffins coming back from Afghanistan would still be 7 true heroes.  Using the deaths of soldiers to try to shame our footballers just makes you look like a reactionary - the two have nothing to do with each other.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Q: What''s the difference between a professional footballer and a soldier?

A: One is a sportsman who competes in professionally organised tournaments for a living and doesn''t risk his life on a daily basis, and one is a trained fighter whose job is to put his life on the line for his country if required to do so and understands the risks involved.

I have nothing but respect for our armed forces and the impossible job they have to do, but let''s not be silly about this - even if we had won the World Cup final 6-0, 7 English coffins coming back from Afghanistan would still be 7 true heroes.  Using the deaths of soldiers to try to shame our footballers just makes you look like a reactionary - the two have nothing to do with each other.

[/quote]

No it doesnt Chops. I was making a point about the front page media hype about 23 players this nation [along with most others] call heroes when in reality they are nothing but hyped up,overpaid egoistic athletes. You''ve got a fucking answer to everything you complete cock.

Mister Chops

wasn''t that the point if Arthurs post, he''s trying to point out that no matter what happens the guys that should get the attention are those returning from Afghanistan, not the football team?

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Q: What''s the difference between a professional footballer and a soldier?

A: One is a sportsman who competes in professionally organised tournaments for a living and doesn''t risk his life on a daily basis, and one is a trained fighter whose job is to put his life on the line for his country if required to do so and understands the risks involved.

[/quote]

I neither agree nor disagree Chopsy, aren''t both sets supposed to make the other proud? Both are dispached to represent their country and to the best of their ability, at least one is doing what they were trained to do. 

[quote user="RichT - The Biscuit"]Mister Chops wasn''t that the point if Arthurs post, he''s trying to point out that no matter what happens the guys that should get the attention are those returning from Afghanistan, not the football team?[/quote]

Chops will read into it like he usually does. All rather silly if you ask me. I was making a simple point but he had to mix his it up as usual.

I was going to ask the web team to keep this on this forum for a bit but i think we all know whats going to happen now.

[quote user="RichT - The Biscuit"]Mister Chops

wasn''t that the point if Arthurs post, he''s trying to point out that no matter what happens the guys that should get the attention are those returning from Afghanistan, not the football team?[/quote]Then why does he only post it the day after our England team failed embarrassingly in the World Cup, and why does he describe them as "One with 23 so called "Heroes" with egos the size of their wallets"?If we''d won the World Cup, would this post have been made?  No. 

[quote user="IncH_HigH "]

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Q: What''s the difference between a professional footballer and a soldier?A: One is a sportsman who competes in professionally organised tournaments for a living and doesn''t risk his life on a daily basis, and one is a trained fighter whose job is to put his life on the line for his country if required to do so and understands the risks involved.

[/quote]

I neither agree nor disagree Chopsy, aren''t both sets supposed to make the other proud? Both are dispached to represent their country and to the best of their ability, at least one is doing what they were trained to do. 

[/quote]They were trained to die?

One more thing before i leave this to the usual suspects. If you think im some sort of "rent-a-mob, get the paedo and burn his house" estate dweller,well think again. I''d question some others on here.

I believe in freedom of expression and speech but if some think this is a reactionary knee jerk well they need to question their own reactions to peoples thoughts.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Q: What''s the difference between a professional footballer and a soldier?A: One is a sportsman who competes in professionally organised tournaments for a living and doesn''t risk his life on a daily basis, and one is a trained fighter whose job is to put his life on the line for his country if required to do so and understands the risks involved.

[/quote]

No it doesnt Chops. I was making a point about the front page media hype about 23 players this nation [along with most others] call heroes when in reality they are nothing but hyped up,overpaid egoistic athletes.

[/quote]I agree with your analysis of our footballers, but why bring dead soldiers into it?  The two are not related, Arthur.  If we won the World Cup, soldiers would still be dying but you wouldn''t have made this post.  That makes you the hypocrite, I''m afraid.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

One more thing before i leave this to the usual suspects. If you think im some sort of "rent-a-mob, get the paedo and burn his house" estate dweller,well think again. I''d question some others on here.

I believe in freedom of expression and speech

[/quote]Including the freedom to tell people "You''ve got a fucking answer to everything you complete cock" when they disagree with you?

I agree with Mr Chops points, made all the better made by not resorting to stupid pictures he''s spent an age trying to find.

Well yes that''s exactly what I''m doing chop.

I''d of mentioned our war heroes even more so had we won the world cup 70-0 against Brazil but I guess you would be far to one sided to believe people still support our real issues.

As Rio said  There''s no comparison to be made between our football team and our armed forces. I think Chops has got your number Arthur my friend.

Although you’re not dealing with guns and bullets, can you compare your job for England with a soldier’s career?
“There is no comparison between what we do and what the men and women in the Army do. It’s a case of life or death for them and as footballers we respect and appreciate that there’s a big difference – football is entertainment.”

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]Well yes that''s exactly what I''m doing chop.

I''d of mentioned our war heroes even more so had we won the world cup 70-0 against Brazil but I guess you would be far to one sided to believe people still support our real issues.[/quote]I totally support our armed forces, Arthur.  I actually feel guilty because I don''t have the balls to do the jobs they do.  All I can do is type, and I''m not even particularly good at that.  The idea of putting my life on the line to fight a war I don''t believe in is completely beyond me.  I just cannot comprehend what that must take, even more so when you consider many soldiers may not agree with the decisions that put them out there in the first place, but they get on with it.  To kill a man, to shoot to kill, to take a man''s life and to risk your own - I will never understand those stakes.And I also think our football team are spineless and overpaid and spoilt.The only thing I don''t agree with you on is that the two are comparable or that one somehow shows up the other.  Soldiers kill, and soldiers die. Footballers triumph, and footballers fail.  There''s nothing that binds them, it''s like saying "gravity made apples fall to the ground, and green = yellow + blue."  They co-exist, they are not related and do not cross over in any way.  That''s all I''m trying to say here.

[quote user="TheGoogler"]I agree with Mr Chops points, made all the better made by not resorting to stupid pictures he''s spent an age trying to find.[/quote][img]http://www.badgehabit.com/images/How%20very%20dare%20you%20Badge%20-%201%20Catherine%20Tate%20pin%20dvd.jpg[/img]

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="IncH_HigH "]

[/quote]

[/quote]

They were trained to die?

[/quote]

Oh Chopsy the hilarity of your pedanticlness always serves to cheer me up.[:D]

[quote user="IncH_HigH "][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="IncH_HigH "]

[/quote]

[/quote]They were trained to die?[/quote]

[/quote]I know, I really need to get a life. [8-|]

Nutty mate. With all due respect,what do you think the nations reation would''ve been had he said what Mister chops said in his first post? Don''t be so naive my friend,he would always go along those lines.

Mister chops....fair comment.

We''ve done this a million times.  We''ve even got to point where the use of ''hero'' to every single serving service man/man is over hyped.IMO you just can''t compare football and war.  If you compare football then really you have to compare everything.  Then you''ll get to the point of saying **** everything soldiers are dieing so I won''t pay my tax or bother doing anything.  Or put it another way just use the death of soldiers as a get out clause.  You gas bill is going up but don''t worry more soldiers have just ''bought it''.  You''ve got a really dodgy local council but it''s not worth worrying as we''ve more war dead flying home.I''m not trying to belittle the dead, but you just can''t compare.

[quote user="IncH_HigH "][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="IncH_HigH "]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It''s actually ''pedantry'' [;)]

And, yes that is a joke playing on the irony of my pedantry [:)] 

[quote user="macdougalls perm"][quote user="IncH_HigH "][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="IncH_HigH "]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It''s actually ''pedantry'' [;)]

And, yes that is a joke playing on the irony of my pedantry [:)] 

[/quote]

That''s were I keep all the food and drink for the master and madam.