Sign in to follow this  
GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

Compare & contrast....

our present XI vs the team that began our ultimately doomed championship campaign of 2 seasons ago?

Marshall      Forster (still hopeful!)

Otsemebor  R Martin

Drury          Drury

Kennedy     Ward

Stefanovic   Whitbread

Clingan       Crofts

Russell        K.Smith

Croft          Surman

Hoolahan   Hoolahan

Cureton     C.Martin

Lupoli        Holt

and last but not least!

Roeder     Lambert

how does everyone think we match up as this stage for an assault on the championship, are we better equipped than 2 years ago, obviously we have a better manager and strikeforce but other than that not much in it for me! ,for my book still need a couple more quality first teamers?.

i think all of our team this is much better bt=etter than that awful season we are more organised and run alot better and with a striker keeper and a right back all this week hopefully i think we could push for sixth spot all hough staying up i would be happy with even if Lambert has said he wants play off

We got relegated after years of bad managerial appointments and woeful decisions!

Roedernowheres about as much a football manager as what my dog is!

Whether told to from above or not his obsession with signing loan players most of whom were not up for it either in ability or atitude totally undermined the club financially and on the pitch. He was to long in the tootl meaning his main motivation was the fat pay cheques not to push himself and the team up the ladder. He had b uggerall man management skills which meant the players resented him and didn''t put in that extra bit on the pitch for him. Roeder was a bad smell full stop!

With the players he had at his disposal, we could of got into the Championship play offs. Blackpools promotion last season with a squad most of whom most people have not haerd of is firm evidence of what can be achieved through a club being run properly with a PROPER manager!

Roeders squad had the potential to do so much more but Kennedy was only here cause he was injury prone and Roeder signed Lupoli then decided he wasn''t strong enough?

Lamberts squad looks capable if  the players bond, perform and all the elements are right which if last seasons positive aspects are replicated will be the case. Add to the squad with a couple or 3 more good players and we can have a really good go at getting a top 6 place! 

All in all its not correct to try and compare squads because they were under different circumstances, with the manager situation!

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

We got relegated after years of bad managerial appointments and woeful decisions!

Roedernowheres about as much a football manager as what my dog is!

Whether told to from above or not his obsession with signing loan players most of whom were not up for it either in ability or atitude totally undermined the club financially and on the pitch. He was to long in the tootl meaning his main motivation was the fat pay cheques not to push himself and the team up the ladder. He had b uggerall man management skills which meant the players resented him and didn''t put in that extra bit on the pitch for him. Roeder was a bad smell full stop!

With the players he had at his disposal, we could of got into the Championship play offs. Blackpools promotion last season with a squad most of whom most people have not haerd of is firm evidence of what can be achieved through a club being run properly with a PROPER manager!

Roeders squad had the potential to do so much more but Kennedy was only here cause he was injury prone and Roeder signed Lupoli then decided he wasn''t strong enough?

Lamberts squad looks capable if  the players bond, perform and all the elements are right which if last seasons positive aspects are replicated will be the case. Add to the squad with a couple or 3 more good players and we can have a really good go at getting a top 6 place! 

All in all its not correct to try and compare squads because they were under different circumstances, with the manager situation!

[/quote]

maybe not but I''m sure we all remember what our opinion was on that side that started that campaign and what hopes we had  regarding where we could finish, I''ve got to be bruatlly honest and say that I was more confident with the overall quality of that side than the one we would currently field, from a strictly player perspective -obviously as you say the ''manager factor'' has a large influence.

Comparing individual players can be a poor indication of what season we have in store for us. I wonder what conclusion we would come to if we compared the individual players from our relegation season 2008/9 with our play-off season 2001/2?

It''s the strength of the team that ultimately decides the season because football is a team game. The strongest eleven players don''t neccessarily make a strong team. Very often "lesser players" make a stronger team. Of course, if you end up with a strong eleven players and they become a strong team you will have a very good season indeed.

Our strength this season could well be the forward momentum from last season and strength of the manager to keep this going. Add to this some good aquisitions and we could have a very good season indeed. The players that started the 2008/9 season weren''t poor players but they joined a team in decline and couldn''t form a strong enough team to reverse that trend or even stop the decline.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Comparing individual players can be a poor indication of what season we have in store for us. I wonder what conclusion we would come to if we compared the individual players from our relegation season 2008/9 with our play-off season 2001/2?

It''s the strength of the team that ultimately decides the season because football is a team game. The strongest eleven players don''t neccessarily make a strong team. Very often "lesser players" make a stronger team. Of course, if you end up with a strong eleven players and they become a strong team you will have a very good season indeed.

Our strength this season could well be the forward momentum from last season and strength of the manager to keep this going. Add to this some good aquisitions and we could have a very good season indeed. The players that started the 2008/9 season weren''t poor players but they joined a team in decline and couldn''t form a strong enough team to reverse that trend or even stop the decline.

[/quote]

Pitty, Capello and England didnt understand that