Sign in to follow this  
Lennon7

Chris Martin - Next Season

Just reading the article on him this morning, I can see Chrissy having another good season. As long as he keeps his fitness and confidence levels up and plays with the atittude of last season. He''s matured ever so much, and I think he can only get better.

How many goals can you see coming from Holt and Martin next season against better opposition?

martin won''t score more than 7 or 8 goals at championship level doesn''t work hard enough.  Holt will get about 15, which is why we need an experienced striker at this level.

[quote user="paulo79"]martin won''t score more than 7 or 8 goals at championship level doesn''t work hard enough.  Holt will get about 15, which is why we need an experienced striker at this level.[/quote]Can we dispell that myth right now!  Chris Martin does plenty of work as a striker.  Just because he doesn''t cover every blade of grass as Holt does doesn''t mean he doesn''t work hard.  Do you really expect both of our strikers to be defending??  How are we supposed to score then?  Think it through.

Remember this will be the first pre season the squad will have spent with Paul Lambert. I expect the players to be fit as a fiddle and raring to go, and anyone without the right attitude or mentality will not find themselves playing.I expect Lambo to get the best out of Chris, and he knows full well what will happen if he doesn''t perform.I think 10 goals is a reasonable target for him.

the other way around i reckon,

holt will struggle around bigger and better defenders, plus he will be suspended a fair bit, so i see him getting less than 10.

martin could easily get 15 odd goals this season, i can see him being a real handful for the opposition.

but we do need more fire power!!!

[quote user="Dogger "]Have faith Paulo - he is capable of scoring at this level.[/quote]

I know i''ll get stick for this Dogger but really don''t rate the kid.  Yeah he can take a good free kick but his work rate is poxy, he makes dickson etuhu look like a midfield dynamo.

It used to really wind me up last year watching Holt break his bollocks to clsoe down and hassle the keeper and defenders and when Martin should have been doinf that he was just standing there.  THe number of Holt had to close down from the other side of the pitch coz Martin was standing there scratching his arse.

I hope he does prove me wrong would love him to grap 15-20 goals next season but can''t see it.  If the rumours earlier in June were correct and Spuds offered £4m for him we should snap their hands off.

He will do well, whereas in League one the hustle and bustle of Holt worked well, the technical skills of Martin will shine in the Championship. To be honest if he scores 23 goals in a season without doing any work then I don''t really care, he does work hard and his work is getting into the positions which he does well. Making runs into the channels for Hoolahan to pick him out happened a lot last season and I expect it to be similar again this season, I reckon he''ll get a good 15+ goals.

[quote user="paulo79"]

[quote user="Dogger "]Have faith Paulo - he is capable of scoring at this level.[/quote]

I know i''ll get stick for this Dogger but really don''t rate the kid.  Yeah he can take a good free kick but his work rate is poxy, he makes dickson etuhu look like a midfield dynamo.

It used to really wind me up last year watching Holt break his bollocks to clsoe down and hassle the keeper and defenders and when Martin should have been doinf that he was just standing there.  THe number of Holt had to close down from the other side of the pitch coz Martin was standing there scratching his arse.

I hope he does prove me wrong would love him to grap 15-20 goals next season but can''t see it.  If the rumours earlier in June were correct and Spuds offered £4m for him we should snap their hands off.

[/quote]

Barclay hero wrote:

CambridgeCanary wrote:

Interesting quote in the Times today from an unidentified Prem manager albeit on the subject of what the Premiership does to players in an article titled "Does the English Game ruin players.   I so thought of Crofty and opinions such as yours.

"A lot of fans and pundits see brainless running and determination as much more exciting than intelligent passing and good skills on the ball.  You may be quite indifferent on the ball, but if you play with determination and run like a headless chicken, you are likely to become one of the fans'' favourites"

Agreed - fans just want to see someone beating the opposition even if its then wasted.  Hence the popularity of MacNamee

And hence the extraordinary criticism of Chris Martin on this board

[quote user="paulo79"]

[/quote]So, which is it?Do you believe that a top Premiership side saw enough potential in him to offer 4 million, or do you believe your own assessment of him?

[quote user="paulo79"]

[/quote]

Sorry disagree with this. His workrate is fine. He spent most of last season making really good runs across the front line and getting frustrated because when Wes didn''t play we didn''t have any midfielders good enough to pick the right pass or (more often) to play it through early enough for him. If we have sorted that then Martin could have a productive season. His only real problem is that he does not have the pace to get away from defenders so is reliant on good service from the midfield but his touch and finishing are top notch. I love Holty and his workrate but because of it he spends far too much time out on the flanks and not in the centre. If Martin did the same it would not work at all.

If I had to bet, I''d say that Martin (assuming he is picked regularly for the first team) will just about make double figures and Holt should get to around 15.

[quote user="macdougalls perm"]If I had to bet, I''d say that Martin (assuming he is picked regularly for the first team) will just about make double figures and Holt should get to around 15.[/quote]Thats pretty much my guess.[Y]

[quote user="paulo79"]

[/quote]And they call me potty.[:S]

And just why would they offer that?................exactly![:S]

If he gets the right supply, with players like Fox and Hoolahan playing to his strengths, then i see no reason why Martin cant be knocking on the door of 20+ goals again next season. He has the ability to score goals when presented with the chances.

And to question his workrate is just ridiculous. He probably covered just as much ground as Holt did last season with his running off the ball.

I think that Holt and Martin will both score more than ten.

The actual numbers will depend on the quality of service they receive. I expect the service to be better this year, because we shall have a stronger and more creative midfield - Suman, Crofts, Fox, as well as Hughes/Korey. And if Hooly reaches top form as well....

I wouldn''t be surprised if they each score nearer 15 than 10.

We shall need goals from elsewhere, and I see the chance for a third striker, from the mdfield (with set pieces) and from central defence. I will be disappointed if we don''t manage 60 goals.

[quote user="paulo79"]

Yeah he can take a good free kick but his work rate is poxy, he makes dickson etuhu look like a midfield dynamo.[/quote]

So THIS is why England will never win the world cup. A player with skill, technique, touch and movement is disregarded because he doesn''t chase around tackling people. He''s a striker!

Chrissy will score more than Holt next season.

[quote user="Mook"][quote user="paulo79"]

Yeah he can take a good free kick but his work rate is poxy, he makes dickson etuhu look like a midfield dynamo.[/quote]

So THIS is why England will never win the world cup. A player with skill, technique, touch and movement is disregarded because he doesn''t chase around tackling people. He''s a striker!

[/quote]

Mook, it is a tablet of stone for some people that Chris Martin is a lazy,arrogant sod. Just be grateful that you are blessed with a decent perception of what football is actually about.[;)]

Why on earth do some fans think that "working hard" means "chasing after the ball/opposition players like a headless chicken"? None of us know exactly what jobs Martin was given by Lambert last season, but seeing as he scored over 20 goals and was rarely ever dropped, I tend to think that his workrate was more than adequate.Put it this way, do you not think Lambert would have dropped a player who was being lazy and not working hard?

I think the fact he is "lazy" (not my opinion at all) says a lot about his class. The best players are said to be able to use their energy in the correct way, and I am not calling him a world class player, but he does make clever movements when he needs too. Personally, I would rather him making those which don''t always get noticed, but which could eventually lead to a goal/chance then running around all over the place, and by the time it comes to getting into the box he is too far away or exhausted from running around.

Just because Holt runs around the whole pitch chasing the ball and Martin dosn''t do the same dosn''t make him lazy.  Martin isn''t the player to do that and like most people have said, he does as much running as Holt but just of the ball.

I personally think Martin will score more goals than Holt next season.  Holt last season worked really hard but because the defences were poor he could still get into an area to score goals.  However this season when Holt works hard the defenders will be able to read him and get into the right position to stop him.  Martin though is a more intelligent footballer.  He reads the game well and gets into little pockets which the defence don''t see.  He makes things happen when he has the ball and when he dosn''t he creates space for the likes of Holt and Hoolahan.  Also Martin''s goal tally will depend on his service.  He is able to get into the correct position time and time again to score goals so if the service is good he will score goals.

My prediction for the both of them is Martin - 15 and Holt - 12ish.

Also like Mook said players in England who aren''t excactly hard workers get slated and are not always put in the team, which like Mook said this is why we wont win the World Cup for a long time.  Players like Xavi would probably get moaned at over here!

I really like the guys attitude now, he has changed alot. He will score more than Holt next season because of his outstanding finishing, and skill with the ball imo. People would rather see are strikers defending and running around like mad men and moan when nobody is in the box or making runs for Hoolahans balls than see are strikers, look lazy because they are choosing there runs cleverly.

Martin is a classy striker in my opinion, i think he''ll do fine next season. People are being way to optimistic about how many Holt and Martin will score next season. If they both got in the mid teens then i can assure you we will be near the automatic spot, i very much doubt this will happen.

I would be happy if they both got in to double figures next season. For me that will be a good season for both of them.

Martin to get 13 league goals, Holt to get 10 league goals 

Well, I''m sorry but i have a foot in both camps on Chris.

After the first few games last season, he seemed to pick up an extra yard of pace and had a tremendous vein of form.

Then for no obvious reason he seemed to be off the pace quite a bit. In fact Lambo did ''rest'' him and also sub''d him in the latter stages of the season.

It is this part of Martin''s make up that makes me fear he may suffer this season.

He has a good talent with an eye for goal and has a great shot on him.

On balance I think that Lambo will give him every opportunity to improve his game. If successful, we will have one hell of a player on our hands. Oh and Holty will be good for 15 - 20... I hope!

Martin is a great natural finisher with both feet (goal again U''s the best example), Lambert has said this himself so Id be surprised if Martin wasnt a key part of the first team most year. I dont see why he cant score a decent amount of goals if the players around him can provide something.

I have a suspicion that in a lot of the more difficult looking away games next season that Lambert may go with Holt up front on his own with Hoolahan behind him, packing the midfield at Martin''s expense, he may not play as many matches next season.

I don''t understand the criticism of Martin. Technically he is excellent and he got 23 goals last season. He worked hard for the team as well. I thought he lead the line really well in Holt''s abscene and winning that football league player of the month award in the process was evidence of that. I just hope his ability isn''t belittled to the extent he feels his future is better served away from Carrow Road. I genuinely think with the right service him getting 15 goals next season is a real possibility.

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Mook"][quote user="paulo79"]

[/quote]

Mook, it is a tablet of stone for some people that Chris Martin is a lazy,arrogant sod. Just be grateful that you are blessed with a decent perception of what football is actually about.[;)]

[/quote]Thank you guys for showing me that some fans actually do understand.