Sign in to follow this  
Smeg

Spillane gone (almost)

i don''t see what everyone''s problem is, they could be offering decent money and surely are new board will put sell on fees and add ons into the transfer, could end up to be a fair some off money,

not bad for a lad who has only a few appearance''s last season, and 1 full season in league 2!!i would of bite there hands off!!!

Lambert''s not mucking around, he wants us challenging for promotion ASAP. If he doesn''t feel Spillane is someone who can help acheive that then so long and good luck to Mickey.

I agree with Mello, thought it would be better if we got him out on loan a league one club, maybe PL thinks he is not good enough. If he does, it''s a risk, but at this stage, I''ll stick with his views and choices.

We want him to succeed as he is one of us.

Have to say I''m disappointed he''s leaving for a variety of reasons.Obviously sentimentality as having been a youth player does effect that disappointment. I thought he''d played well up until his injury. That said, we don''t the full ins and outs plus Lambert has made very few wrong decisions  as to who stays/goes with the squad and knows exactly what he wants. I can only take it that Micky does not meet that criteria.Both he and R. Martin have their strengths and weaknesses; Lambert has decided which he prefers.Wonder who the new RB will be as Francomb needs loan experience before being let loose on the CC.

I liked Spillane as a player but this move does make abit of sense for the player himself he''s going to play alot of matches and will get the chance to probably play as a centre back which is really where a player with average pace, who tackles hard and is 6ft plus should be, he''s said himself thats where he see''s his position and i cant see him getting the opportunity to play that position with us in the championship with the players Lambert has here already.

I think he''ll be back a championship level in a season or two, getting the experience at a level where he will be a very competitive player, if i was brentford fan i''d be very happy. I guess a new right back is on the way in now hopefully.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]

I thought when he was initially given a chance he showed a bit of promise but he''s never developed beyond that and appears to be a fairly ordinary lower league player.  In fact I''m almost glad he''s gone just to spite the deluded souls on here who think he''s the next Maicon.  But if he was that good he wouldn''t be off to the mighty Brentford.

Best of luck to the guy though.  I''m pretty sure he won''t go quite the same way as some of our so-called ''promising'' youngsters but will probably end up a run-of-the-mill League One or Two player.

[/quote]

Indeed. He seems to have become very overrated.

At his age, if he had the kind of potential and ability that some people are suggesting then Paul Lambert wouldn''t let him go unless it was for mega bucks.

The reality is that he''s a very average/ordinary defensive player who will have to come on leaps and bounds if he ever wants to cut it at a regular basis Championship level.

We won''t regret this one.

I don''t agree - Spillane is a quality player! He''s far too good to remain in League One for long.

I can almost see another ''Danny Mills'' situation happening here; he''ll become stronger, rapidly increase his value and move on to much greater things...

A big mistake to let him go.

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]I don''t agree - Spillane is a quality player! He''s far too good to remain in League One for long.

I can almost see another ''Danny Mills'' situation happening here; he''ll become stronger, rapidly increase his value and move on to much greater things...

A big mistake to let him go.[/quote]We''d better hope for a good sell on clause

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="Graham Humphrey"]

I thought when he was initially given a chance he showed a bit of promise but he''s never developed beyond that and appears to be a fairly ordinary lower league player.  In fact I''m almost glad he''s gone just to spite the deluded souls on here who think he''s the next Maicon.  But if he was that good he wouldn''t be off to the mighty Brentford.

Best of luck to the guy though.  I''m pretty sure he won''t go quite the same way as some of our so-called ''promising'' youngsters but will probably end up a run-of-the-mill League One or Two player.

[/quote]

At his age, if he had the kind of potential and ability that some people are suggesting then Paul Lambert wouldn''t let him go unless it was for mega bucks.

The reality is that he''s a very average/ordinary defensive player who will have to come on leaps and bounds if he ever wants to cut it at a regular basis Championship level.

[/quote]

We might.

I''m sorry to see him go to be honest, I actually rate him better than Martin. I think the real kick in the knackers for Spillane was when he got injured not long after the Leyton Orient game. He was just finding some good form and getting better for more first team action. It''s not all doom and gloom though, he''s only 21 so he''s got a fair while yet. Who knows, if he performs well he could be out of League One in no time.

He''s never let us down but also never set the world alight.

Had a good season with Luton in League 2, looked decent enough for us in League 1, but have to say that Championship gets better and harder every season and I don''t see him as a consistent regular for us, therefore if we got decent money for him then so be it.

PL knows that he sees week in week out and will no doubt have something lined up to shock us re replacement. Can''t see him going for Martin and Francomb alone especially as Francomb only got a year so there must be another coming in.

anyone thought he might of wanted to leave, he''s got us some money, rather sitting on the bench running his contract down, fair play to him if he wants to go out and play for his money.

To be honest neither sad nor happy about Spillane leaving!

I thought he had a lot of potential as a right back but to me was never going to get very far as a CB cause he isn''t strong enough in the air. Those who argue that heading the ball isn''t everything for a CB are correct but good aeriel presence is essential!

Also the amount of time he took to get over his hamstring injury was concerning! 

Would of done a job as a squad player for us in the Championship but thats all!

We''ve got to trust Lambert!

[quote user="thefutureisyellow"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="Graham Humphrey"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

We might.

[/quote]

Nah, we really won''t. Like I''ve always said - I''ve never rated him (which hasn''t always been a popular opinion).

But surely the fact that Paul Lambert has been prepared to let a player leave, who is only in his early 20s, should be enough to show people that we really haven''t got a lot of worry about. Moreover, look at the way he''s regularly used Korey Smith and Chris Martin - he''s more than prepared to make young players with enough ability part of his team.

Dissapointed about this. I know we will be bringing in another RB now but surely Spillane has the potential to be a much better player than Russell Martin will ever be. Think Spillane we be a regular in the Championship someday. Lets just hope we bring in a decent replacment because Martin is poor for the Championship imo.

I''m also dissapointed about this! I''m surprised to see him go. I think he would have been good in the Championship with us. But the best of luck to him.. [Y]

[quote user="Chalk"]Dissapointed about this. I know we will be bringing in another RB now but surely Spillane has the potential to be a much better player than Russell Martin will ever be. Think Spillane we be a regular in the Championship someday. Lets just hope we bring in a decent replacment because Martin is poor for the Championship imo.
[/quote]

Look at it this way - Paul Lambert has just turned us around as a team and won the league at first attempt. As a player he won the Champions League and played against the likes of Zinedine Zidane. In other words, he has played at the very highest level and it''s pretty safe to say that this guy knows his football. He''s been around the block and he knows what it takes to win things.

Taking all of that into account, if Spillane was better than Martin, or at least had the potential to be better than him, don''t you think Paul Lambert would have stuck with him and not let him go?

[quote user="Mook"]This is weird because Smudger & First Wizard (among others) assured me that Lambert knew Spillane was our best defender and Lambert was going to be playing him at centre back next season.

Smudger AND First Wizard are wrong???? I just don''t know who to trust any more *sob*
[/quote]

You really can''t be surprised, can you ?

Is there anyone promising at Brentford, that the Spillane deal could be being used as a make weight????

I like Spillane and would of liked him to say and do well for the club.

However if he''s as good as people say why is he moving to a mid table league one side? Surely if he''s as good as where we want to be going (i.e. top end of the championship/prem) then he would of been wanted by the likes of Forest who need a right back too?

Davo

I am very disappointed at this especially as not convinced Russell Martin is any better at right back. Spillaine looked really useful whilst still young and improving in confidence every game he played and also had the versatility to move inside.I am beginning to get a bit nervous about Lambert now especially if Russell goes too as rumored to Leeds and no Forster loan. None of the signings to date have really inspired ambition rather instead the hope to dig in and stay in the Championship if possible.I really do not want another manager like Roeder a one season wonder.

[quote user="CJ"]I am very disappointed at this especially as not convinced Russell Martin is any better at right back. Spillaine looked really useful whilst still young and improving in confidence every game he played and also had the versatility to move inside.I am beginning to get a bit nervous about Lambert now especially if Russell goes too as rumored to Leeds and no Forster loan. None of the signings to date have really inspired ambition rather instead the hope to dig in and stay in the Championship if possible.I really do not want another manager like Roeder a one season wonder. [/quote]wow there cj! don''t ever align Lambert with Roeder! I''m not surprised you''re nervous as a lot of norwich fans seem to have issue with keeping the faith... the boss man has got us up at the first attempt, has so far signed decent players and will no doub wrap up another few decent signings as well...

Not inspired by Surman? Ward? are you sure? who did you expect? rodwell and milner? I''m your anyi I think as I am actually quite excited by the new shape of the squad... also excited by Fox... I think he has a lot of talent. - Smith as well.

Its a shame to see a play who came through the academy leave us.

But i dont get why everyone is comparing Spillane and R. Martin? Spillane is''nt even a right back!

Martins stronges position IS at right back, Spillane is a central player who''s strongest position is at either CB or CM. You cant really compare the two.

I do agree that a right sided defender is needed as it is probably one of our weakest positions (due to the number of players we have that actually play there) but last year i did''nt see anything that made me doubt the ability of Martin, i agree he didnt really do anything to stand out. But then again Drury didnt do anything to stand out, they are just two very consistant players which is what you want from your full backs.

[quote user="Mook"]This is weird because Smudger & First Wizard (among others) assured me that Lambert knew Spillane was our best defender and Lambert was going to be playing him at centre back next season.

Smudger AND First Wizard are wrong???? I just don''t know who to trust any more *sob*
[/quote]

Sorry mook but add me to that list! ..I really rated spillane..my first spillane buzz came at the drabest performance ever,away at qpr,night match,when he was i think either making his debut or only had a couple of apps...He shone for me in a field full of sht! He was playing midfield,and played some blinding long passes,and 3 or 4 real neat sly passes,that if his teammates were on the same length,wouldve reacted and created a goalscoring opp..The reason no one sung his praises to much after that match was because the manager then was sacked(or walked)..

Again last season,his performances were above average,at right back and even centre half.For me,his best position may well have been as a midfield,but hardley got a look in there because of what was in front of him..But like most of you.."In Lambert We Trust"

[quote user="Barclaybred"]

[quote user="Mook"]This is weird because Smudger & First Wizard (among others) assured me that Lambert knew Spillane was our best defender and Lambert was going to be playing him at centre back next season.Smudger AND First Wizard are wrong???? I just don''t know who to trust any more *sob*[/quote]

Sorry mook but add me to that list! ..I really rated spillane..[/quote]

Don''t get me wrong - I would like to have kept Spillane too. But I do feel he''s only rated so highly because he didn''t have enough matches to look ****. Sometimes your value goes up more when you don''t play than when you do!I just enjoy taking the rip out of Wizard & Smudger who absolutely assured me that Spillane was Lambert''s most important defender. Seems not.Put it this way. Have we really - I mean really - regretted selling Joe Lewis? He wasn''t the number one at our club, and had the chance to be a number one at Peterborough, but 400k seems like we got the better deal at the moment. Yes, Lewis & Spillane may go on to be great players, but we need the players NOW to keep us in the Championship, and if they''re not the ones then they''re better off elsewhere playing regularly.

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

Some of our resident experts thought Doherty was our best defender.....Lambert obviously didn''t.

[/quote]

Or maybe, just maybe, Lambert thought he was ok, but could do better for the money.

Shades of grey Mello.

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

Some of our resident experts thought Doherty was our best defender.....Lambert obviously didn''t.

[/quote]

Or maybe, just maybe, Lambert thought he was ok, but could do better for the money.

Shades of grey Mello.

[/quote]

No maybes or shades of grey in my opinion.

It''s a common and known fact that Doherty wasn''t a first choice selection centre-back for Lambert when he took the reins last season, and it was after all the injuries to players that allowed Doherty an opportunity to be in the side. If Lambert''s first choice 3 central defenders had remained fit and injury free....I actually think the Doc would have been bench-warming and probably gone in the January transfer window on loan - or maybe sold.

If Lambert thought Doherty was a valuable asset, and also a essential piece of vertebrae in the NCFC defence backbone - he''d have made a real effort to retain his services....He didn''t, and I don''t just think it was down to finances.

I''m not a Doc detester by the way, I liked his spirit and effort....and some of his other average qualities. 

But I certainly wasn''t that disappointed when he was shown the door....I won''t miss him, and I don''t think the new side will....(neither will Lambert for that matter in my personal opinion). I''m actually, quite looking forward to seeing what Whitbread''s capable of alongside Askou - and also think Micky Nelson will be on the bench.

I certainly wish the Doc well for the rest of his career. Although, if his new team (if he finds one) are to play us next season in any competitive (or cup-games for that matter)....I do hope that the Doc plays really absolute stinkers.

[quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]

Shades of grey Mello.

[/quote]

No maybes or shades of grey in my opinion.

It''s a common and known fact that Doherty wasn''t a first choice selection centre-back for Lambert when he took the reins last season, and it was after all the injuries to players that allowed Doherty an opportunity to be in the side. If Lambert''s first choice 3 central defenders had remained fit and injury free....I actually think the Doc would have been bench-warming and probably gone in the January transfer window on loan - or maybe sold.

If Lambert thought Doherty was a valuable asset, and also a essential piece of vertebrae in the NCFC defence backbone - he''d have made a real effort to retain his services....He didn''t, and I don''t just think it was down to finances.

I''m not a Doc detester by the way, I liked his spirit and effort....and some of his other average qualities. 

But I certainly wasn''t that disappointed when he was shown the door....I won''t miss him, and I don''t think the new side will....(neither will Lambert for that matter in my personal opinion). I''m actually, quite looking forward to seeing what Whitbread''s capable of alongside Askou - and also think Micky Nelson will be on the bench.

I certainly wish the Doc well for the rest of his career. Although, if his new team (if he finds one) are to play us next season in any competitive (or cup-games for that matter)....I do hope that the Doc plays really absolute stinkers.

[/quote]I would imagine Whitbread and Ward will be our first choice centre back pairing next season.