Sign in to follow this  
Dobby

Spillane to Brentford

Not sure if this has been put on the board already. Have been told he is off to Brentford not sure if perm or loan. Have to say am suprised if this turns out to be the case..........

Would be very surprised but if it does happen must mean we are going to sign another right back.

If true then we can only assume Lambert has agreed terms or is currently agreeing terms with a proved right back... will be interesting to see if this develops

A loan would be a good idea if we have cover coming in.However is this another case of the "our boys" academy bollocks?The man is hardly Cafu or G.Neville.....Dependable just about at League One level.  Not proven anything higher up (not seeing he cant!!) so like the previous guy stated its not a great shock if he where to leave in some capacity.

Brentford have a very highly rated young right back called Ryan Dickson who has been linked with lots of clubs. Maybe lambo eying up a swap?

As usual, I can''t name the ketchup, but Spillane is discussing terms as he wants first team football, but he hasn''t yet made up his mind and may not accept the terms and could be encouraged to stay with us. IMO he is much better than Martin and would love to see him stay. He was in great form prior to his injury.

[quote user="Metal Militia"]As usual, I can''t name the ketchup, but Spillane is discussing terms as he wants first team football, but he hasn''t yet made up his mind and may not accept the terms and could be encouraged to stay with us. IMO he is much better than Martin and would love to see him stay. He was in great form prior to his injury.[/quote]Yes he did have a decent couple of games just before he got injured, however i was just relieved it wasnt Semmy playing! Since then Lambert obviously hasnt seen enough from him in training and could be going with other options.Without letting his fantastic goal cloud judgement, I never saw enough of him to form a proper opinion on whether he is good enough for next season and so am going to trust Lamberts decision if hes let go.Im also in the minority that thought R.Martin had a solid season. Did what he needed to do, defensively very dependable and looked good on the rare times he went forward. Nothing that stands out from the season - which is a good thing in as there were no major mistakes that spring to mind (unlike Doc''s backpass etc). Not saying I wouldnt want to see a new proven championship RB but just think comparing the 2, Spillane looked good in a couple of games, R.Martin looked good for about 25 (minus Orient away)

I wouldn''t want to lose him permanently without a good sell-on/buy-back clause, but a loan is a good idea.

He''s still some way off 22, so has time to improve.

Loaning him out and bringing our own loan (or permanent) right-back in would be sensible business.

[quote user="Persnickety squared"][quote user="Metal Militia"]As usual, I can''t name the ketchup, but Spillane is discussing terms as he wants first team football, but he hasn''t yet made up his mind and may not accept the terms and could be encouraged to stay with us. IMO he is much better than Martin and would love to see him stay. He was in great form prior to his injury.[/quote]Yes he did have a decent couple of games just before he got injured, however i was just relieved it wasnt Semmy playing! Since then Lambert obviously hasnt seen enough from him in training and could be going with other options.Without letting his fantastic goal cloud judgement, I never saw enough of him to form a proper opinion on whether he is good enough for next season and so am going to trust Lamberts decision if hes let go.Im also in the minority that thought R.Martin had a solid season. Did what he needed to do, defensively very dependable and looked good on the rare times he went forward. Nothing that stands out from the season - which is a good thing in as there were no major mistakes that spring to mind (unlike Doc''s backpass etc). Not saying I wouldnt want to see a new proven championship RB but just think comparing the 2, Spillane looked good in a couple of games, R.Martin looked good for about 25 (minus Orient away)[/quote]If I could find an even bigger hammer, I would hit the nail of this head even harder. Common sense posting breaks out on The Pink ''Un… hallelulah

[quote user="Andy Larkin"][quote user="Persnickety squared"][quote user="Metal Militia"]As usual, I can''t name the ketchup, but Spillane is discussing terms as he wants first team football, but he hasn''t yet made up his mind and may not accept the terms and could be encouraged to stay with us. IMO he is much better than Martin and would love to see him stay. He was in great form prior to his injury.[/quote]

Yes he did have a decent couple of games just before he got injured, however i was just relieved it wasnt Semmy playing! Since then Lambert obviously hasnt seen enough from him in training and could be going with other options.

Without letting his fantastic goal cloud judgement, I never saw enough of him to form a proper opinion on whether he is good enough for next season and so am going to trust Lamberts decision if hes let go.

Im also in the minority that thought R.Martin had a solid season. Did what he needed to do, defensively very dependable and looked good on the rare times he went forward. Nothing that stands out from the season - which is a good thing in as there were no major mistakes that spring to mind (unlike Doc''s backpass etc). Not saying I wouldnt want to see a new proven championship RB but just think comparing the 2, Spillane looked good in a couple of games, R.Martin looked good for about 25 (minus Orient away)
[/quote]

If I could find an even bigger hammer, I would hit the nail of this head even harder. Common sense posting breaks out on The Pink ''Un… hallelulah
[/quote]

Apart from the fact that R.Martin looked poor in a lot more games than just Orient away.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

[quote user="Andy Larkin"][quote user="Persnickety squared"][quote user="Metal Militia"]As usual, I can''t name the ketchup, but Spillane is discussing terms as he wants first team football, but he hasn''t yet made up his mind and may not accept the terms and could be encouraged to stay with us. IMO he is much better than Martin and would love to see him stay. He was in great form prior to his injury.[/quote]Yes he did have a decent couple of games just before he got injured, however i was just relieved it wasnt Semmy playing! Since then Lambert obviously hasnt seen enough from him in training and could be going with other options.Without letting his fantastic goal cloud judgement, I never saw enough of him to form a proper opinion on whether he is good enough for next season and so am going to trust Lamberts decision if hes let go.Im also in the minority that thought R.Martin had a solid season. Did what he needed to do, defensively very dependable and looked good on the rare times he went forward. Nothing that stands out from the season - which is a good thing in as there were no major mistakes that spring to mind (unlike Doc''s backpass etc). Not saying I wouldnt want to see a new proven championship RB but just think comparing the 2, Spillane looked good in a couple of games, R.Martin looked good for about 25 (minus Orient away)[/quote]If I could find an even bigger hammer, I would hit the nail of this head even harder. Common sense posting breaks out on The Pink ''Un… hallelulah[/quote]

Apart from the fact that R.Martin looked poor in a lot more games than just Orient away.

[/quote]Orient he was shocking. But Jim...can you tell me the other games? Huddersfield at home in the first half he wasnt geat but in the 2nd half, like the team, he got better.He''s a 7/10 player thats not spectacular. Maybe because he didnt slam one in against Orient like Spillane, he''s not as good.Well...i never saw Spillane whipping balls into the box like Martin did on a few occasions. I do like them both tho....

[quote user="Jim Smith"]Brentford have a very highly rated young right back called Ryan Dickson who has been linked with lots of clubs. Maybe lambo eying up a swap?[/quote]Maybe Lambert is, but why would they be? [^o)]

[quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="Jim Smith"]

[quote user="Andy Larkin"][quote user="Persnickety squared"][quote user="Metal Militia"]As usual, I can''t name the ketchup, but Spillane is discussing terms as he wants first team football, but he hasn''t yet made up his mind and may not accept the terms and could be encouraged to stay with us. IMO he is much better than Martin and would love to see him stay. He was in great form prior to his injury.[/quote]

Yes he did have a decent couple of games just before he got injured, however i was just relieved it wasnt Semmy playing! Since then Lambert obviously hasnt seen enough from him in training and could be going with other options.

Without letting his fantastic goal cloud judgement, I never saw enough of him to form a proper opinion on whether he is good enough for next season and so am going to trust Lamberts decision if hes let go.

Im also in the minority that thought R.Martin had a solid season. Did what he needed to do, defensively very dependable and looked good on the rare times he went forward. Nothing that stands out from the season - which is a good thing in as there were no major mistakes that spring to mind (unlike Doc''s backpass etc). Not saying I wouldnt want to see a new proven championship RB but just think comparing the 2, Spillane looked good in a couple of games, R.Martin looked good for about 25 (minus Orient away)
[/quote]

If I could find an even bigger hammer, I would hit the nail of this head even harder. Common sense posting breaks out on The Pink ''Un… hallelulah
[/quote]

[/quote]

Orient he was shocking. But Jim...can you tell me the other games? Huddersfield at home in the first half he wasnt geat but in the 2nd half, like the team, he got better.

He''s a 7/10 player thats not spectacular. Maybe because he didnt slam one in against Orient like Spillane, he''s not as good.

Well...i never saw Spillane whipping balls into the box like Martin did on a few occasions. I do like them both tho....
[/quote]

I can''t name specific games but i thought in most home games in the last two months of the season he was not great.Actually thought he looked best when he played at centreback a couple of times. He''s quite decent on the ball but i think he lacks a bit of pace and is defensively suspect. i am not sure either of them are good enough for the champ to be honest (hence have been saying for a while I hope we signa  right back) but if had to take a chance on one of them i would go for Spillane as i think he has the potential to make the step up.

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="Jim Smith"]

[quote user="Andy Larkin"][quote user="Persnickety squared"][quote user="Metal Militia"]As usual, I can''t name the ketchup, but Spillane is discussing terms as he wants first team football, but he hasn''t yet made up his mind and may not accept the terms and could be encouraged to stay with us. IMO he is much better than Martin and would love to see him stay. He was in great form prior to his injury.[/quote]Yes he did have a decent couple of games just before he got injured, however i was just relieved it wasnt Semmy playing! Since then Lambert obviously hasnt seen enough from him in training and could be going with other options.Without letting his fantastic goal cloud judgement, I never saw enough of him to form a proper opinion on whether he is good enough for next season and so am going to trust Lamberts decision if hes let go.Im also in the minority that thought R.Martin had a solid season. Did what he needed to do, defensively very dependable and looked good on the rare times he went forward. Nothing that stands out from the season - which is a good thing in as there were no major mistakes that spring to mind (unlike Doc''s backpass etc). Not saying I wouldnt want to see a new proven championship RB but just think comparing the 2, Spillane looked good in a couple of games, R.Martin looked good for about 25 (minus Orient away)[/quote]If I could find an even bigger hammer, I would hit the nail of this head even harder. Common sense posting breaks out on The Pink ''Un… hallelulah[/quote]

[/quote]Orient he was shocking. But Jim...can you tell me the other games? Huddersfield at home in the first half he wasnt geat but in the 2nd half, like the team, he got better.He''s a 7/10 player thats not spectacular. Maybe because he didnt slam one in against Orient like Spillane, he''s not as good.Well...i never saw Spillane whipping balls into the box like Martin did on a few occasions. I do like them both tho....[/quote]

I can''t name specific games but i thought in most home games in the last two months of the season he was not great.Actually thought he looked best when he played at centreback a couple of times. He''s quite decent on the ball but i think he lacks a bit of pace and is defensively suspect. i am not sure either of them are good enough for the champ to be honest (hence have been saying for a while I hope we signa  right back) but if had to take a chance on one of them i would go for Spillane as i think he has the potential to make the step up.

[/quote]When he played centre back i actually think he looked quicker. A few times he swept up when opposing players were through.Id be happy going into th eseason with these 2 vying for the rb spot.Get Forster in and a forward and im happy!

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

. He''s quite decent on the ball but i think he lacks a bit of pace

[/quote]

I''d say it was pretty obvious that Russell Martin has got a good turn of pace. Unlike Spillane, who hasn''t.

CUSDP you seemed convinced about Forster re-signing, has anything changed the way you feel?As far as Spillane, first team football is what he needs and he probably wont get that here, out of the two Martin does seem a better defender, but I wouldn''t be surprised if another one turned up.

It''s NOT a loan. He is discussing terms tonight before deciding whether to go. He may prefer to stay if he has a chance of playing. As mentioned, I really rate him and he can also cover CB if required.

I am not a R.Martin fan at all so I would be very dissapointed to see this.  Spillane defiantely looked in the games he played.  But we can only judge him on those games so we have to say he done well.  I think he has a lot of potential and could become a very solid right back all be it not an attacking threat.

R.Martin to me looked very shakey all season.  He seemed to not be able to cope with pace or any one half decent for that matter.  He got forward well I will give him that but, he didn''t really impress me at all with his defensive displays.  As for the person who said 25 good games I think they are completely wrong.  He had a couple of good games.  A few OK ones and the rest were very shakey, not disasturous like Orient but just shakey.  He would definately be a weak spot in the Championship.

I just wonder where the Martin haters sit?

If it is the Snakepit or the Lower Barclay then you will have a good view of him for half a game and no view for the other half.   That would explain the lack of appreciation.

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

I just wonder where the Martin haters sit?

If it is the Snakepit or the Lower Barclay then you will have a good view of him for half a game and no view for the other half.   That would explain the lack of appreciation.

[/quote]

Erm why? Is he magnificent for the half of the game that we can''t see then?

[quote user="Jim Smith"]Brentford have a very highly rated young right back called Ryan Dickson who has been linked with lots of clubs. Maybe lambo eying up a swap?[/quote]

He signed for Southampton last week.

[quote user="Docs Big Nose that was at the Heart of the Defence"]

[quote user="Salahuddin"]Have read that he may be replaced with Kerrea Gilbert....[/quote]

Where?

[/quote]

On the Vital Norwich forum