Sign in to follow this  
DEB (never forgotten)

City's Jackson bid rejected!

Interesting if we have actually bid that much. I don''t think he is worth much more than that though as he opnly has a year left on contract and no track record at a higher level.

Would be very happy with this signing, saw him play against Aston Villa a couple of years back and certainley did not look out of place against a prem club. I think offering Cody on a one year loan plus about 700k would be a good deal for both clubs.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]we have money to chuck another 250k at them if we want[/quote]

That would have to be the absolute maximum though.

i have to say holt and jackson would compliment each other perfectly. Hotl the big target man who will win ball in the air, hold it up and over power defences. Jackson has incredible pace and plays on the shoulder, somthing that we dont really have, apart from cody. I can just see hoolahan ripping through the midfield and threading through balls through the defences for jackson to spirnt onto! Then we have martin on the bench who could do equally as good job but perhaps not as strong in one area as holt or jackson. But probably the best finisher. We are building a top 6 team.

Would be a good signing if we can get him. 600k -700k is not a bad price, he knows where the net is if he can get the service. When playing in a confident team, didn''t he get a hat-trick on the opening day of last season? After that the gills struggled, but with Surman, Fox, Smith, Wes and Holty all providing the chances, hes the sort of player who could get 20 goals at championship level.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]He got 14 in the league last year, 5 were pens.Would he be a good signing?[/quote]In a relegated side though CUSDP? Plus he would get far better service in our side than he got in that Gillingham side. There''s no doubt he can finish and has pace, something we don''t have at the moment.

[quote user="scrimmage"][quote user="can u sit down please"]He got 14 in the league last year, 5 were pens.Would he be a good signing?[/quote]In a relegated side though CUSDP? Plus he would get far better service in our side than he got in that Gillingham side. There''s no doubt he can finish and has pace, something we don''t have at the moment.[/quote]Im not saying he wont be, and goals in a relegated side is impressive....cant see him getting in front of our current 2 though. But i wouldnt be unhappy if he did sign.....

[quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="scrimmage"][quote user="can u sit down please"]He got 14 in the league last year, 5 were pens.Would he be a good signing?[/quote]In a relegated side though CUSDP? Plus he would get far better service in our side than he got in that Gillingham side. There''s no doubt he can finish and has pace, something we don''t have at the moment.[/quote]Im not saying he wont be, and goals in a relegated side is impressive....cant see him getting in front of our current 2 though. But i wouldnt be unhappy if he did sign.....[/quote]Really? Because personally I think Martin will struggle next season due to his lack of pace.... an even if he cant displace the front 2 at the end of the day thats only a good thing right as it would suggest they are doing a good job!

[quote user="birchfest"][quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="scrimmage"][quote user="can u sit down please"]He got 14 in the league last year, 5 were pens.Would he be a good signing?[/quote]In a relegated side though CUSDP? Plus he would get far better service in our side than he got in that Gillingham side. There''s no doubt he can finish and has pace, something we don''t have at the moment.[/quote]Im not saying he wont be, and goals in a relegated side is impressive....cant see him getting in front of our current 2 though. But i wouldnt be unhappy if he did sign.....[/quote]Really? Because personally I think Martin will struggle next season due to his lack of pace.... an even if he cant displace the front 2 at the end of the day thats only a good thing right as it would suggest they are doing a good job![/quote]I think Martin will be our top dog next yr, pace or not, the guy is a finisher......

Think Jackson would be a quality addition if we could get him, would compliment Holt well and would finally give us that bit of pace upfront that we have been missing for a while. Supprised Gillingham have turned down and offer of 500k. I know ofcorse they have all the cards to play but can a league 2 team afford to turn down 500k on a player with 1 year on his contract remaining? Maby they are confident there will be plenty of interest but surely a player only proven at league 1 level with 1 year left on his contract cant be worth much more than 750k tops. How much was Nicky Maynard when he went from Crewe to Bristol City? 2,000,000 apparenly but Jacksons not as good as Maynard.

Have to agree about Martin being our top finisher. I think Lambert will keep the faith and start the season with Holt starting, but I fear you may see him more on the bench as the season progresses and especially if we do sign Jackson.

Martin is the best finisher, but I cant help but feel that against the better defences in this league he will be out muscled and wont get much of a chance to make use of his finishing. Strength in the form of Holt and pace with Jackson would be a good attack.... though if its martin who can get the job done then lets stick with it.

The bid will upset the player, too good for lge2 come on down, he will be here soon unless someone elso comes in £500k a good price.

I hope he does come here, he would offer something different to the others, Holt, busy and big and strong, Martin, composed and a quality finisher, Oli, trickery, Cody, the unknown really, but still like him.

Knew about this last month, its great news, exactly what we are looking for, something different, another option. In Lambert we trust. Exciting times!

[quote user="birchfest"]Martin is the best finisher, but I cant help but feel that against the better defences in this league he will be out muscled and wont get much of a chance to make use of his finishing. Strength in the form of Holt and pace with Jackson would be a good attack.... though if its martin who can get the job done then lets stick with it.
[/quote]

Now I thought Martins first start and genuine goal scoring for us was in the Championship before his head got rather large.

He managed OK then and now more mature will more than manage now

It says a bid of over £500k.

How much over?  I posted on here the other week that I thought it would take an offer or at least £700k plus the option of sending either Gill or Tudor Jones to them on a free for keeps and possibly Cody for a season long loan also to tempt the Gills to the table.

That offer should be in the region of being worth £1 million plus to the Gills and I don''t think that Simeon Jackson fancies another season in the 4th tier, so by hanging on to him they will risk losing him for nothing at the end of the season.

If they want any more than that though then I would be tempted to look elsewhere and would be asking Sheff Utd how much they wanted for Billy Sharp.

So glad that Lambert declined to go as high as £1.5 million for Nicky Bailey and opted for the cheaper, younger and better Surman instead. 

Excellent point about Sharp Smudge. For the sake of around 300k surely it would be better to get someone who has proven at Doncaster that when used properly he can score a lot of goals at this level. I think it is also very possible he would come because he is very unhappy at Sheffield United despite being a self confessed Blades fan.

I have a friend who worked on the Sheffield United training ground during the summer as part of his sports qualification and he said that Blackwell had tried to completely change Sharp''s game. Instead of letting him play on the shoulder he was asked to become a more rounded player which completely blunted his goalscoring edge. Furthermore my friend added that the fact Blackwell used to be a goalkeeper shone through in his coaching as most of his offensive ideas concerned set piece situations rather than open play. Something not conducive to how Sharp plays. Put him alongside Holt and with Hoolahan feeding him and you could see some excellent results I think.

[quote user="Good Touch For A Big Man"]

Excellent point about Sharp Smudge. For the sake of around 300k surely it would be better to get someone who has proven at Doncaster that when used properly he can score a lot of goals at this level. I think it is also very possible he would come because he is very unhappy at Sheffield United despite being a self confessed Blades fan.

I have a friend who worked on the Sheffield United training ground during the summer as part of his sports qualification and he said that Blackwell had tried to completely change Sharp''s game. Instead of letting him play on the shoulder he was asked to become a more rounded player which completely blunted his goalscoring edge. Furthermore my friend added that the fact Blackwell used to be a goalkeeper shone through in his coaching as most of his offensive ideas concerned set piece situations rather than open play. Something not conducive to how Sharp plays. Put him alongside Holt and with Hoolahan feeding him and you could see some excellent results I think.

[/quote]

The worry I have with us signing Sharp is that maybe he is too similar to what we already have in the Striker department.

I think the two qualities we are lacking upfront are somebody with pace who knows where the back of the net is (sorry but Cody is not good enough at the moment for me) and when Holt is sidelined we struggle to hold the ball up and win enough in the air.

While I think Sharp is a fantastic goalscorer and finisher, I worry whether he can bring enough of one of those two qualities to the table.  But in the abscence of being able to sign Simeon Jackson then bringing in a player on a free or short term loan to cover the games that Holty will inevitably miss, I think that taking a gamble on the all round game of somebody like Sharp would be our best option.  There is obviously a limit to this budget of ours and once we spend some money on a striker, I would be surprised to see a fairly big fee spent anywhere else on the team.

I guess that Sharp is more similar to Chris Martin than any of our other strikers or anybody that we have talked about signing possibly?

I concur with this Sharp is good but SJ is a pace man.

We need pace as another option and SJ is the type of player we can by for 500k and then xx goals later could be worth 2-3 million.

I think the offer made is fair but you can see how desperate they are to get the max price.

If SJ is a serious footballer her has to move now

[quote user="Good Touch For A Big Man"]

[/quote]

What did your friend say about Ched Evans?

[quote user="Smudger"]

How much over?  I posted on here the other week that I thought it would take an offer or at least £700k plus the option of sending either Gill or Tudor Jones to them on a free for keeps and possibly Cody for a season long loan also to tempt the Gills to the table.

That offer should be in the region of being worth £1 million plus to the Gills and I don''t think that Simeon Jackson fancies another season in the 4th tier, so by hanging on to him they will risk losing him for nothing at the end of the season.

If they want any more than that though then I would be tempted to look elsewhere and would be asking Sheff Utd how much they wanted for Billy Sharp.

So glad that Lambert declined to go as high as £1.5 million for Nicky Bailey and opted for the cheaper, younger and better Surman instead. 

[/quote]

But elsewhere they deny our bid, so is someone telling porkies in hope to get more for him ? 

[quote user="pete_norw"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

But elsewhere they deny our bid, so is someone telling porkies in hope to get more for him ? 

[/quote]

It sounds like Hessenthaler is trying to start a bidding war. He doesn''t say they won''t sell, nor that they haven''t received an offer (just that his chairman hasn''t notified him of one). I think it''s just a question of how high we''re prepared to go.

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="pete_norw"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It sounds like Hessenthaler is trying to start a bidding war. He doesn''t say they won''t sell, nor that they haven''t received an offer (just that his chairman hasn''t notified him of one). I think it''s just a question of how high we''re prepared to go.

[/quote]No more than £700k with a player who has only 1 year left on his contract and isanproven at CC level...Dont get me wrong the lad has pace to burn(just what we need) but lets no held to ransom[Y] im 100% sure PL wont be either