Sign in to follow this  
thirdlion

Simon Lappin

Sorry don''t agree.

You say he goes inside a lot - you talking about last season? If you were then it would be because we had three in the middle and sometimes he had to come inside to find one of our players.

There was no left flank appart from Drury - so exposing it wasn''t so much him as the formation.

For me its all going to come down to the formation next season and how well players play in it. At the moment it does look a lot like Lambert will be going with the diamond midfield or 4-3-3, whichever way you want to look at it and to an extent that worries me a bit at the moment more than whether Lappin will be in the starting 11 or not.

This is mainly because against better opposition last season we were chasing shadows in the middle of the park as the three ran from side to side trying to catch up. Carlisle, although they were obviously not up for it, displayed what could be done if the ball is switched quickly, its almost like playing with 9 men at times because that 4th midfielder just in behind the front two sucks away the width in both defensive and attacking play.

I absolutely agree it depends on what system we decide to play - I''m basing this simply on the belief we''ll stick with the diamond because Lambert doesn''t seem to be indicating otherwise. His signings certainly don''t suggest so.

I can''t believe Lappin will be a first team regular in the Championship, but if Lambert can get that level of performance out of him then fair play to our manager.

I''m not so sure. Ideally you do need someone left footed for the left hand side of the three.

I think he will be given a chance. He can and has played at Champ level before and proved he can do it. Not the worlds best winger but you know what you are going to get from him and he is consistant.

This Russell thing seems to be going on a long time so if he doesn''t sign it will be three from Crofts, Lappin, Hughes, Smith, Fox, Gill, T-J. It may be that Lambert think Smith needs another season at League 1 before he can make the step up on a long term basis. Or maybe not. However if you say that Crofts and Gill are the holding types that really only leaves you with Smith, Hughes, Lappin, Fox and T-J.

For arguments sake Lappin was ahead of both Hughes and T-J last season. These are the rough facts of what we know. So perhaps Lappin being a regular starter at this point in time with the players we have right now, wouldn''t be so strange.

[quote user="chicken"]

I''m not so sure. Ideally you do need someone left footed for the left hand side of the three.

I think he will be given a chance. He can and has played at Champ level before and proved he can do it. Not the worlds best winger but you know what you are going to get from him and he is consistant.

This Russell thing seems to be going on a long time so if he doesn''t sign it will be three from Crofts, Lappin, Hughes, Smith, Fox, Gill, T-J. It may be that Lambert think Smith needs another season at League 1 before he can make the step up on a long term basis. Or maybe not. However if you say that Crofts and Gill are the holding types that really only leaves you with Smith, Hughes, Lappin, Fox and T-J.

For arguments sake Lappin was ahead of both Hughes and T-J last season. These are the rough facts of what we know. So perhaps Lappin being a regular starter at this point in time with the players we have right now, wouldn''t be so strange.

[/quote]You''re pretty much right - he''s ahead at the moment and, as a friend said last night - he has the shirt. There''s no reason he''d be dropped as yet, I guess. What I find more interesting is whether he''s the right player going forward - whether he deserves to keep the shirt.

I very much suspect that by the time the season kicks off lambert will have brought in a right winger and hope that we may also be succesful in our quest to sign Bailey.

Lappin seems a good bloke, he is to be commended for his attitude over the last two seasons and his effort and commitment can''t be faulted. However, if he is in our starting line up regularly next season then i will be very worried indeed about how things are going to pan out. There is a role for him as a squad player but he should not be starting as he is not mobile enough and is one of the slowest players i have ever seen.

As a brief comment on that line up shown on the blog page I also very much hope that spillane will be starting ahead of R. Martin as the latter is not good enough if we want to be challenging at the right end of the table.

A Swedish singer songwriter very Dylan esq, called The Tallest Man On Earth check out his new album The wild hunt there is a track called The King Of Spain. Has to be sang on the terraces next season!!! Check it out it''s on spotify.

Lappin''s strength is his consistency. All out wingers are often hit and miss in their play and crossing from game to game (eg. Croft and McNamee of late), but Lappin is well balanced in both going forward and getting back to help the LB. Fox will provide a new option, but I''m a bit concerned about his defensive abilities. Another option that hasn''t been mentioned here is S. Smith, who started his career in MF and could play on the left of the diamond or as a wing-back. It''s going to be interesting anyway!

Everyone always bangs on about Lappins defensive abilities but for most of the second half of the season he just ran about not tackling anyone and having hissy fits at the referee and linesman when he lost the ball. if he was being given the runaround by the opposition midfielders at League 1 level then i just can''t see him managing at champ level. Obviously i will give him a chance if he plays but I will remain concerned if he starts on 7th August.

I fear he found his level in League 1 and will be no different in the Championship to what he was last time. A good squad player but not a regular starter for me next season.

**Shouts HOUSE**I was playing stock football phrase bingo and all I was waiting on was "He''s found his level"[:)]

Oh great, we get the he isn''t mobile and the defensive abilities - he can''t tackle comments.

Goes to show how some people lack in knowledge when it comes to football. You would expect most players to be able to tackle, especially defenders and most midfielders.

However if you do your job well enough you shouldn''t need to tackle - slide tackle or fully committed tackle, very often. I say that because often the reason it is deployed is because a player has just got past you or they have put the ball just out of normal reach - its a risky thing because it could leave them free if it doesnt come off.

What Lappin does is ''jocky'' he pushes players wide or into places where they will be less effective, his sense of positioning is pretty good and he is not that slow. Sure he is not lightening quick but then neither is Fox, Ward, R. Martin . . . . I mean even Holt isn''t lightening quick.

In football there is different sorts of pace anyway, players can be quick running onto a ball but not as quick with it at their feet, some are just as quick with the ball at their feet, some players have better acceleration than others.

I would not be overly concerned if Lappin was in the side because when he came back in at the end of the previous season he did well, he also has as much as anyone to prove at this level. I am sure if called upon he wont be half as bad as some people on here make out he is.

Obviously on paper Fox, Hughes and Crofts/Russell would look like our stongest midfield do you have enough graft in their to make up for the lack of width which Lappin did very well at at times.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

I very much suspect that by the time the season kicks off lambert will have brought in a right winger and hope that we may also be succesful in our quest to sign Bailey.

Lappin seems a good bloke, he is to be commended for his attitude over the last two seasons and his effort and commitment can''t be faulted. However, if he is in our starting line up regularly next season then i will be very worried indeed about how things are going to pan out. There is a role for him as a squad player but he should not be starting as he is not mobile enough and is one of the slowest players i have ever seen.

As a brief comment on that line up shown on the blog page I also very much hope that spillane will be starting ahead of R. Martin as the latter is not good enough if we want to be challenging at the right end of the table.

[/quote]

To be fair to Simon Lappin - he''s plenty mobile enough. He coveres a lot of ground. He doesn''t have a turn of pace though.

And are you suggesting that Spillane has the quality required to challenge at the top end of the table?

I think potentially yes Spillane may be good enough although would be a bit of a punt. Better option than R. Martin though as far as i am concerned. Before he got injured last season I thought Spillane was starting to look excellent.

Chicken - as for your comments about my supposed lack of footballing knowledge and the fact lappin is "jockeying" opponants if thats what you think then fair enough but i think ive been watching the game long enough to know what i''m talking about and to know the difference between when a player is channelling another player away from danger or simply having rings run around him. In most of the games i watched in the second half of last season lappin was ineffective both defensively and going forward. I guess we will therefore just have to agree to disagree. I will support him if he''s in the side, i just hope that we will be strong enough that he is not a starter next season.

[quote user="Pboro_Canary"]I fear he found his level in League 1 and will be no different in the Championship to what he was last time. A good squad player but not a regular starter for me next season.[/quote]Yawn! Same could be said about half our team. Lappin did alright under Grant as I recall - and was MoM in that draw v Ipswich at home under Roeder (when he cleared off the line near the end). He''s certainly taken pressure off Drury too this season.Lappin isn''t quick and doesn''t catch the eye - but he never tired and covered more than his share of the pitch. Lambert played him more often than any other player this last season - so he at least must have been reasonably comfortable with him. Lappin was also one of our top players for "assists". I have no doubt that he can cut it in the Championship - but whether he is a regular will depend on the preferred formation and whether the new arrivals are any better. I sincerely hope they are (as much as like Lappin) but if they are not, Lappin will not let us down.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

I think potentially yes Spillane may be good enough although would be a bit of a punt. Better option than R. Martin though as far as i am concerned. Before he got injured last season I thought Spillane was starting to look excellent.

Chicken - as for your comments about my supposed lack of footballing knowledge and the fact lappin is "jockeying" opponants if thats what you think then fair enough but i think ive been watching the game long enough to know what i''m talking about and to know the difference between when a player is channelling another player away from danger or simply having rings run around him. In most of the games i watched in the second half of last season lappin was ineffective both defensively and going forward. I guess we will therefore just have to agree to disagree. I will support him if he''s in the side, i just hope that we will be strong enough that he is not a starter next season.

[/quote]

I would love to see what your opinion of Hoolahan is because to be honest in most of the games I watched all THREE of our central midfielders were chasing shadows to a certain extent due to the opposition nearly always having more width than us.

People talk of the diamond midfield but it seemed more and more like a 4-3-3 as the season went on with even Lambert calling them the attacking three. Hoolahan tended to do very little tracking back and hence leaving our midfield normaly outnumbered.

As for finding his level - he has already proved that he is capable of championship football. And I don''t think Lambert would have stuck by him for the entire season if he thought he was a rubbish player that had found his level. I say that because he kept Hughes out of the team who is highly regarded.

Lets just see what Mr. Lambert thinks but I very much doubt that Lappin will spend the entire season in the reserves just being some old ''squad'' player.

Well, no, he''s not - yet. He could be, as someone pointed out in the comments on my blog, but he needs work yet. He may well be yet, though.

Lappins been capable at Championship level before, performed solidly last season, is hungry to do well and always gives his all!

If Lappin does the same things next season then he''ll be a good squad player at worst!