Sign in to follow this  
ur just a man in a jacket

Derby Day Saturday

How nice would it be if we could have it back on a Saturday. I know we have talked about it on here before but we have a new chief constable who said on the radio he will listen to any views of policing. I will be emailing him!

If you look at col who away in January - that was a superb day with no trouble even though tensions were running high.

Views??

It would be great to have the Derby game on a Saturday.

I have email the police in the passed and they say for safety reasons it has to be on a Sunday at 12pm.

Lets hope they have a rethink and at least have it on Saturday and not Sunday.

I don''t really remember playing them on Boxing Day - but that would be good again. I do remember some occasions when it was an evening game, but can''t see that happening!

If Cardiff and Swansea can play each other on a saturday afternoon I don''t see why we can''t.

Cardiff v Swansea

I think you will find that all tickets are sold to season ticket holders with travel they are not given the tickets until they are on the coach and therefore are forced to travel on the coach they are then herded straight into the stadium and after the game then put straight back on buses. I guess under those circumstances there would not be a problem, but I guess there could be a few screams on here

In the late 90s most of the home games against Ipswich were played in the evenings. It was always a cracking atmosphere and I''d much prefer that to Sunday lunchtime. Sadly I suspect the police will insist on Sunday once again.

What exactly are the "safety" reasons for having the kick-off on a Sunday lunchtime?

It surely cannot be, and please Plod, don''t even try to argue that it is, down to alcohol, pubs not being open for so long or at all, etc etc?

If people want a drink, they''ll have a drink. Sunday lunchtime, Saturday 3pm. Not a jot of difference in anyway, shape, or form as concerns peoples routine and behavious before, during, and after.

More Police on Duty, more overtime, more money for them and an opportunity to exercise their powers by pissing as many people off as possible? Ah yes, thats it...

I think you also need to realise that it is generally on TV aswell.. So if the saturday lunchtime slot isn''t available, they will have it sunday lunchtime.

[quote user="KeelansGlove"]Honestly I really dont care. I hate local derbies the football is awful and there is always more to lose than gain.[/quote][:|][:|][:|]Clearly you don''t go to any.. And havn''t experience being there whilst winning one then? Or you are just a binner.

[quote user="KeelansGlove"]Honestly I really dont care. I hate local derbies the football is awful and there is always more to lose than gain.[/quote]

How exactly? Its as euphoric when you win as it is gutting when you lose

[quote user="The Walking Man "]

I remember the Derby on a Saturday...

Just last week in fact, great race by Workforce!

[/quote]It used to be much more fun on a Wednesday........Being shoe-horned onto Epsom Downs for the 200th race a few years ago was pretty cosy. They estimated there was 750,000 people there that dayProbably a few too many to squeeze into Carrow Road even with the new seats........

Saturday would be much better in my view.Dont think Colchester 5-0 is a valid comparison though. Trouble rarely happens at those sorts of games. Last minute winners/equalisers on the other hand...

[quote user="wrathsajoke"]no trouble at col u? u must have been at a different game then[/quote]

you call that trouble?? i am not talking handbags or some guy getting wet with policeman by the corner flag - i mean trouble i.e. a big kick off like years ago.

In my opinion any game on a Sunday is not as good cause that day should not be for footy games. Hence I think the Derby games have been ruined by being on a Sunday even the ones we''ve won!

Nowadays theirs very little trouble and indeed most of us will be friends with S cummers. The only hassles I''ve had in recent years is a gang of 14YO''s at S cum train station telling us we were c rap and on that occasion they were correct so I agreed and the Cops keeping us at the station so long that its a struggle to get in for kick off!

The reasons given for moving to a Sunday is the reduction of drinking opportunites and not being able to mingle with shoppers. Well in this day and age shops are open on Sundays and pubs and clubs open longer and supermarkets sell dirt cheap booze!

If the same security measures used for Sunday Derby games were applied on a Saturday then they''d be no more trouble!

Another reason given for Sunday games is that the coppers get overtime, a copper has told me this!

If the old firm Derby games can be played ona Saturday as well as the South Wales Derby and ArsenalVSpurs then theirs no reason why our Derby can''t be played on a Saturday!

I have been a season ticket holder since the early eighties and been to most derbies home and many away.

I stand by my statement its my opinion so dont be a prat and respect that.

[quote user="the unit"]How nice would it be if we could have it back on a Saturday. I know we have talked about it on here before but we have a new chief constable who said on the radio he will listen to any views of policing. I will be emailing him! If you look at col who away in January - that was a superb day with no trouble even though tensions were running high. Views??[/quote]

Would love a derby game on a Saturday. One of my first memories as a young child was my father taking me down to Carrow Road for a derby game on a Saturday against Ipswich. It was the one where Ipswich had that penalty disallowed. The look on John Wark''s face was priceless! The other alternative was the Friday night derby games they did around 1996/7 I think. That was an absolutely banging atmosphere because night games always have a special atmosphere too. Unfortunately a really early start on a Sunday morning just takes the edge of it completely (which I guess sadly is what the police want).

[quote user="Good Touch For A Big Man"]

[quote user="the unit"]How nice would it be if we could have it back on a Saturday. I know we have talked about it on here before but we have a new chief constable who said on the radio he will listen to any views of policing. I will be emailing him! If you look at col who away in January - that was a superb day with no trouble even though tensions were running high. Views??[/quote]

Would love a derby game on a Saturday. One of my first memories as a young child was my father taking me down to Carrow Road for a derby game on a Saturday against Ipswich. It was the one where Ipswich had that penalty disallowed. The look on John Wark''s face was priceless!

[/quote]that was on a sunday... it was televised on Anglia Soccer Sunday!