Sign in to follow this  
Cantley

Could history repeat itself?

Some of the older denizens of this board may remember a previous time we were promoted to the top flight, and found it heavy going at the higher level. That season (72/73) it came down to the last game, against fellow strugglers Crystal Palace - whoever won would stay up and send the other team down. What an incredible scenario.

I came across this photo taken just after Dave Stringer had scored his injury time winner. The crowd (I was one of them) were going nuts, and doesn''t this photo just capture the atmosphere of delirium!

It couldn''t happen again - could it?

PS- for our younger members - yes, that is Doug Livermore.

yesssssssssss fool, I remember that clearly as a raw 19 year old I sat crying in the barclay..when the tension wore off......and palace are with us again......

[quote]yesssssssssss fool, I remember that clearly as a raw 19 year old I sat crying in the barclay..when the tension wore off......and palace are with us again......[/quote]

I didn''t have time to cry - as I recall it was straight home to bed, school next day, ''O'' levels just a few frantic weeks away. Happy days!

Fool:

Let''s hope we stay up... and if need be, in similar fashion...

But I hope the "fashion" sense doesn''t return... did you seriously look like that too??

Ha ha.............................. priceless

[quote]Could well happen. Would a draw have sent us both down?[/quote]

Good point. A draw would have sent City down, so Stringers''s goal really pulled it out of the fire for us.

[quote]Fool: Let''s hope we stay up... and if need be, in similar fashion... But I hope the "fashion" sense doesn''t return... did you seriously look like that too?? Ha ha.............................. pric...[/quote]

Maybe I''m just getting old - but what is it about the appearance of those players which tickles you so much? I would have said that - with the possible exception of Livermore''s sidies - they look rather timeless. Which, I grant you, is quite an achievement for a photo taken in 1973 (the year that style forgot)