Sign in to follow this  
Eagle_Canary

Could overconfidence come back to haunt us?

I don''t know why everyone seems so certain we''re going to do well in the Championship?!

Yes once we got going we steam rolled our way out of a division we shouldn''t have been in the first place, but even Leeds would''ve got out first time had it not been for a -15 deduction.

Lambert has never managed at Championship level before, so who''s to say he''s already taken us as far as he can?

If you sign predominantly League One players the danger is that you end up with a League One side. I''d like to see some proven Championship quality arriving before i''ll even entertain a finish outside of the bottom six.

I remember clearly Posh being tipped to do well last summer, with hot managerial property Darren Ferguson. They fell flat on their faces playing a very similar brand of football.

We are going to look like a bunch of right mugs, if we''re sat bottom at Christmas.

Beware overconfidence.

Come on, you do know a little about footy right OP??

Everyone knows there is a lot of cross-over in quality between the Championship and League One. Meaning the team who finished top in league one probably could have achieved something like mid-table in the Championship, hence you don''t see the same flip flopping like you do between the Premiership and the Championship as the quality difference is much smaller.

So if someone were to buy the better League One players, it would not be at all surprising if that team could make top 6.

People keep citing Blackpool as an example and its true. Look how many ex Prem players Ipswich had at their command, yet is was Blackpool with a bunch of rejects from League One etc that got promoted.

I really think you should wait and see before you start spouting!

Typical British Doomcaster!

Can''t resist your desire to give everyone a ''reality check'' eh?

''Perception is reality''; I''m glad I don''t share your outlook!...

On a practical level, I think the signings so far are good quality acquisitions to bolster the squad. Two or three higher profile signings and we''ll be as well equiped as any other team.

Then it comes down to coaching and management - with the current leadership team at Norwich we have every right to be confident.

Nothing wrong with a bit of realistic optimism!

The signings so far are good competition fir what we already have and in my opinion that''s at best an average championship team. I agree to an extent with the OP

well two out of the four signings have very good experience. Smith champions league and ward playing for top champ teams and shinning. While the other two seem to be good prospects. The gulf between league one and champs isnt that big, thats why it is so hard to get out of this league. As leeds, sheffield wednesday, charlton, man city have all found out.

[quote user="Downloads"]

Come on, you do know a little about footy right OP??

Everyone knows there is a lot of cross-over in quality between the Championship and League One. Meaning the team who finished top in league one probably could have achieved something like mid-table in the Championship, hence you don''t see the same flip flopping like you do between the Premiership and the Championship as the quality difference is much smaller.

So if someone were to buy the better League One players, it would not be at all surprising if that team could make top 6.

People keep citing Blackpool as an example and its true. Look how many ex Prem players Ipswich had at their command, yet is was Blackpool with a bunch of rejects from League One etc that got promoted.

I really think you should wait and see before you start spouting!

[/quote]

Spot on [Y]

[quote user="Eagle_Canary"]I don''t know why everyone seems so certain we''re going to do well in the Championship?! Yes once we got going we steam rolled our way out of a division we shouldn''t have been in the first place, but even Leeds would''ve got out first time had it not been for a -15 deduction. Lambert has never managed at Championship level before, so who''s to say he''s already taken us as far as he can? If you sign predominantly League One players the danger is that you end up with a League One side. I''d like to see some proven Championship quality arriving before i''ll even entertain a finish outside of the bottom six. I remember clearly Posh being tipped to do well last summer, with hot managerial property Darren Ferguson. They fell flat on their faces playing a very similar brand of football. We are going to look like a bunch of right mugs, if we''re sat bottom at Christmas. Beware overconfidence.[/quote]

"come back to haunt us"?

When have we ever been overconfident before?

I, for once, am enjoying that rare feeling of confidence in my teams (and the managers) ability.

This is after more years than I care to remember of not knowing which team is likely to turn up on match day.

Go and worry about something else.

[quote user="Eagle_Canary"]I don''t know why everyone seems so certain we''re going to do well in the Championship?! Yes once we got going we steam rolled our way out of a division we shouldn''t have been in the first place, but even Leeds would''ve got out first time had it not been for a -15 deduction. Lambert has never managed at Championship level before, so who''s to say he''s already taken us as far as he can? If you sign predominantly League One players the danger is that you end up with a League One side. I''d like to see some proven Championship quality arriving before i''ll even entertain a finish outside of the bottom six. I remember clearly Posh being tipped to do well last summer, with hot managerial property Darren Ferguson. They fell flat on their faces playing a very similar brand of football. We are going to look like a bunch of right mugs, if we''re sat bottom at Christmas. Beware overconfidence.[/quote]

"come back to haunt us"?

When have we ever been overconfident before?

I, for once, am enjoying that rare feeling of confidence in my teams (and the managers) ability.

This is after more years than I care to remember of not knowing which team is likely to turn up on match day.

Go and worry about something else.

While I dont think anyones particularly over-confident, the OP does make a very good point: -"I remember clearly Posh being tipped to do well last summer, with hot

managerial property Darren Ferguson. They fell flat on their faces

playing a very similar brand of football."My worry is that if we are down near the bottom at xmas, then all of a sudden the protests and the boo-boys will re-surface. Football players/managers go from hero to zero in no time, just ask Worthy.I personally think we will end up somewhere in mid-table, looking forward to finding out..

The comparison to Peterborough is apples to oranges. Our history is not based in League One. We are not a small club. We can certainly attract better quality players than they can.

As for doom and gloom types showing up if we are bottom at Xmas, they will be out in full force way before that if we are languishing near the bottom after a few games, so don''t worry about that.

Geez, when we were top of L1 by 9 points but lost a game, the doomy gloomies were out. I distinctly recall RuPhuck saying he''d rather be in Leeds''s or Swindon''s position since they were on a roll at the time. I ripped him a new one for that, explaining that we do not have a history of choking promotions and he fell silent for a good long time. We finished top weeks ahead of the end, while 2nd place was decided on the last day. Yah, I was VERY glad to be in Norwich''s position then. What kind of so called "supporter" thinks we are going to suddenly turn to sh!t that late in the season?

[quote user="wrathsajoke"]why is anyone who says we wont go up next season a binner? some people are just being realistic[/quote]

wrathsajoks is a joke.