Sign in to follow this  
The Chirp

Paddy Davitt's feature on who we might sign...

As a fellow journalist I don''t want to take a dig... but... I opened the story hoping for an interesting look at who we could sign, hoping for the odd mention of a few names of players I knew very little about. Instead I am sorry to say, the list I found was full of obvious/former players and others who are unlikely to be on Lambert''s radar. (just watch as Lambert signs Sam, Warner, Finnan and Burgess...egg on my face or what?!)  Now I know that none of us can second guess who Lambo is after, (the signing''s so far have gone a long way in proving that) and I know it''s hard to find a Norwich news story in June... but I get the feeling the pinkun is getting somewhat lazy recently...perhaps it is the warm weather? Maybe it is because I am used to logging on to this site and reading excellent stories by the likes of Davitt and co that I have found a few stories on here lately rather lacking in detail/research.I really don''t mean to be harsh.All i am saying is... come on guys... there are always stories/features that can be found/written!(hissy fit over)

The crux of this is that no one really knows his targets. I can''t remember the last time someone accurately predicted a player that could maybe come here, and then he actually did!

You''re right Morty. I am being a little harsh... I just hoped for a more speculative insightful piece. Almost a.... This is who we, ''the Pinkun'' would target...It''s been a long day (already!) - I think I am just being crabby and jealous that i don''t get paid to write about Norwich City! I''ll pipe down and go back to my world of athletics... :)

[quote user="The Chirp"]You''re right Morty. I am being a little harsh... I just hoped for a more speculative insightful piece. Almost a.... This is who we, ''the Pinkun'' would target...It''s been a long day (already!) - I think I am just being crabby and jealous that i don''t get paid to write about Norwich City! I''ll pipe down and go back to my world of athletics... :) [/quote]No, I get where you''re coming from. I read it and thought "Oh right, okay", there really wasn''t anything of any real substance or interest there for me either. But its slow time, and they are having to make stories up based on very little actual info.

I agree Chirp. Read that thinking might be some inside info or breaking news but complete waste of time as a story. Guess is a slow news day. We are no more likely to sign some of those mentioned than we are to sign Lionel Messi!

Guess PD is a Liverpool man judging by the number of references to sh*t ex Liverpool players!

[quote user="Clipped Canary"]I''ll bet you''re polishing your Pulitzer prize while you''re reading that too........... [:|][/quote]I would but I thought I would leave it for you to do for me.It''ll give you something to do between thinking of catty one-liners.

[quote user="The Chirp"]You''re right Morty. I am being a little harsh... I just hoped for a more speculative insightful piece.

Almost a.... This is who we, ''the Pinkun'' would target...

It''s been a long day (already!) - I think I am just being crabby and jealous that i don''t get paid to write about Norwich City!

I''ll pipe down and go back to my world of athletics... :)
[/quote]

Chirp - you were not being harsh - what a load of tosh that article is.  Reconciling Lambert''s public statement to wanting hungry player''s not superannuated oldsters to what is available out there would have crossed half the players mentioned on that list straight away.  Cheapest of cheap journalism by PD - he really should do better.  We expect more.

After watching Chile today i would hope we would sign there number 4, 7 and i think 14 all looked more than capable if somewhat out of our price range!

[quote user="morty"]The crux of this is that no one really knows his targets. I can''t remember the last time someone accurately predicted a player that could maybe come here, and then he actually did!
[/quote]

Carl cort spotted in Asda was one prediction

I do regret starting this thread as I guess it''s a little harsh picking on Paddy but I just really hoped it was going to be a nice long read with lots of names to ponder whilst I had a coffee.I tried last season on my Chirp blog (i think about 26 people read it but ah well!) to go through potential targets as I think around this time of the year, fans like us are like little children dreaming of what Christmas presents might be under the tree... Part of the fun is guessing and speculating... I got nearly all mine wrong bar two (Holt and Nelson), but what the hell... at least there was perhaps a crumb of food for thought for those 26 people :) For me this pre season is exciting as with Ewan Chester we have an almost unknown quantity with lots of different contacts. There are of course also many players going on free transfers... Will Hoskins and Neil Mellor just two of many out there who are looking for a club. Although we have not had great luck before, there are also bargains to be had up in Scotland, James McArthur is/was one... there are a few more gems in the rubble I can assure you. Steven Smith being one of them.

You can tell that its a slow news day/week when one of the stories on Pink Un is about Matthew Upson, the tenuous link being he is from Norfolk!