Sign in to follow this  
William Darby

Interesting Greeno article

OK it''s Green again but a little made was of interesthttp://www.kentonline.co.uk/kentonline/news/2010/june/16/rob_green.aspx"During the interview he made an interesting observation, saying

there was no real friendship or loyalty at top club level, and that

was a personal disappointment to him."

[quote user="ſilly ſauſage"]OK it''s Green again but a little made was of interesthttp://www.kentonline.co.uk/kentonline/news/2010/june/16/rob_green.aspx"During the interview he made an interesting observation, saying

there was no real friendship or loyalty at top club level, and that

was a personal disappointment to him."[/quote]Yeah, I heard that.  He also said that sometimes when he entered the dressing room the other players suddenly stopped talking, and that his team-mates always said they were busy when he asked them to come to the pub, but that when he turned up they were all sitting together in the corner and pretended not to notice him.

I was told (it was gossip at the ground) that shortly after Greeno left.  He wasn''t a happy bunny because after he moved to his new pad he was struggling to bond with his new pals.Having said that, I remember an interview of a City player a few years back when Green was here.  He reckoned that Green didn''t mix the other players much as he had his own mates which he had from when he first came to the club when he was a youngster.

If that''s true it''s all a bit sad.

There was also something one of the England players (can''t remember who) said about Green the morning after THAT match.

It went something along the lines of:

Interviewer: How was Robert Green this morning?

England player: I waved at him (at breakfast) and he seemed to be alright, yeah.

So sort of galvanises what''s been said.

When i lived in the south of Norwich i would bump into him from time to time.

Always pleasant low key kind of guy.

But then again you tend to think of goalkeepers as a bit nutty....I guess you need to be like teflon to put up with the mistakes that happen if your too sensitive it must be terrible.

Without trying to make a massive swooping generalisation, Green is a different breed of footballer.

He is pretty intelligent and also appears to be quite philosophical. I think what he is relating to is that the turn over of the top clubs is quite high and that a lot of players don''t tend to bond greatly as they know they wont be around for very long. Look at West Ham, Greeno must be one of the longest surving players there now and yet they are not bothered about keeping him.

I think some of the players we have had here have been pretty simple. For example Damien Francis, great footballer, but does not come across as someone with great intelligence. I mean cheating with a woman who is married to a guy who can box and who you see on a daily basis is not exactly clever is it?

I think Greeno liked it here because he had good honest down to earth players who he could relate to, Fleming, Iwan, Malky, Drury etc. And he was managed by Worthy for most of his time here and he is another pretty down to earth person.

You look at the premiership, you have complete idiots like Ashly Cole who has more money than sense, players who get paid mega bucks to sit on the bench or that are happy to languish in the reserves on good money.

You could almost say Greeno is perhaps one of a dying breed.

Sounds pretty good to me chicken. If I recall, wasn''t Greeno doing an OU degree or something whilst at Carrow Road?If we look to our own friendships, we all have different people with whom we do different things because of the different qualities they each have.

I think his personality is another reason why the national media has not endorsed him as the first choice keeper.  James is v matey with them and a is more typical media friendly footballer (although also putting himself out as more intellectual than most) so has most high profile backers.

He stayed with City when moving on earlier would have enhanced his career faster and demonstrated the very loyalty that he bemoans here.  He has a different mentality from most - we should celebrate that.

Greenos performances in the last 8/9 games for england have been v secure and capello put him ahead of james and hart then, so for the sake of one bloomer I would stick with him again now. 

[quote user="chicken"]

Without trying to make a massive swooping generalisation, Green is a different breed of footballer.

He is pretty intelligent and also appears to be quite philosophical. I think what he is relating to is that the turn over of the top clubs is quite high and that a lot of players don''t tend to bond greatly as they know they wont be around for very long. Look at West Ham, Greeno must be one of the longest surving players there now and yet they are not bothered about keeping him.

I think Greeno liked it here because he had good honest down to earth players who he could relate to, Fleming, Iwan, Malky, Drury etc. And he was managed by Worthy for most of his time here and he is another pretty down to earth person.

You look at the premiership, you have complete idiots like Ashly Cole who has more money than sense, players who get paid mega bucks to sit on the bench or that are happy to languish in the reserves on good money.

You could almost say Greeno is perhaps one of a dying breed.

[/quote]And Chicken, didn''t he set up his own charity some years back to collect old football shirts and unwanted replica strips to take out to Africa so kids could play "real" games? Most modern footballers are too preoccupied to even think about organising something like that.