Sign in to follow this  
Mister Chops

Your favourite moment in sport...

1966 - Still the greatest thrill ever

the 1970 Brazilians, beautiful football with a real smile.

The 1974 Dutch.  Probably the greatest team ever.  The 1970 and indeed the 1982 Brazilians were great players who played together but the Dutch were great players who played as a team and made each other stronger.  Their Total Football took the tactical game to a peak that no team has reached since.   Their arrogance and hatred for the Germans was their only weakness.

Ali beating Foreman.  the greatest individual sporting achievement ever.   It is hard after the event to understand just how fearsome Foreman was.  He had destroyed Joe Frazier.

And yes, 2003 and the marvellous team effort to set up Jonny''s drop goal

Induvidual moments for me, are things like getting promoted to the Premireship, Beating Man.U, coming back from 4-1 down, to 4-4 in 10 minuites.....

Am I the only one who really enjoyed Tiger Woods''s chip in for a birdie on the par 3 16th hole at Augusta in the 2005 Masters? It was 20 yards or so downhill, with a tremendous amount of borrow. The guy was on fire that day and went on to win the tournament. Whether he will ever recapture that form is another matter.

[quote user="Sports Desk Pete"]

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]And, something a little more outre: ''And where were the Germans? But frankly, who cares?'' Does anyone else remember that?[/quote]

Indeed, GB''s triumph in the men''s hockey final at the 1988 Olympics. Barry Davies.

[/quote]

It was a fantastic sporting moment when Imran Shewani scored that goal. Dad always used to refer to him as "my mate Imran" as he claimed to Imran quite well. The whole family watched the Olympic final, and there was a few tears in our eyes as the final whistle went.

I played with a few of the team in the England junior indoor hockey squad in 1983 and the two that stood out were Jonny Potter and Martyn Grimley, who even at that early stage were outstanding players and it was obvious they were destined for great things such as Olympic gold medals.

As a post script to that Olympic moment, my club Harrow were drawn to play Jonny Potter’s club Hounslow in the Middlesex County hockey cup early in the season after GB had won the gold medal. We played really well but lost 3-4 to a team containing Jonny Potter and a few other very good players. I scored our three equalising goals and it was one of the best games I ever played. We were gutted to lose but as we had played very well against a team several leagues higher than ourselves no-one was down-hearted for too long.

After the game we were in the changing room just about to shower and my brother Matt, who played in the same team as me, stood up to make a short speech. It was a real Winston Churchill effort about the game and at the end he reminded us as to why Jonny Potter really played for England.

“Lads”, he started, “Today’s game was great, Harrow HC played well against a tough team and we were not intimidated in any way. But you are about to be intimidated and find out the real reason Jonny Potter plays for England. When you are in the shower and he’s in there you’ll see it in all its glory. It will be a foot longer than yours. Don’t be scared lads. When you see it just remember international selection is based on size and nothing else”

What Matt didn’t realise was that the partitioned wall of our changing room didn’t go up to the ceiling and Hounslow were in the room right next to us.

"enry''s Ammer" flooring Ali at Wembley.... Ali has gone on to say that the only time he felt scared in his career was when he heard the raw of the Wembley crowd, the cheering and chanting all fight for Cooper as well.

I take no more than a passing interest in rugby, but when Jonny Wilkinson dropped a goal in the dying seconds to win the Rugby World Cup, I cried.

Ditto golf, and Paul McGinley sinking a putt to win the Ryder Cup for Europe.

Moments I remember (or that have been subsequently planted) from TV as a kid :Botham vs the Aussies, McGuigan winning the World Title, staying up late to watch Bruno vs Tyson, and that moment where you think he stood a chance, England vs Germany at Italia 90, watching it at a party.Moments following Norwich gave me :Milk Cup Semi and Final (I had a picture of me holding the cup, they let you lift it in those days)All of the promotions (never mind the relegations)Malkys'' header to get us into the play-offs.

Gordon Bank''s save against Pele in the 1970 World Cup.

City in Munich.

(BTW with all the attention WITS is getting on here, how much am I bid for my season ticket seat immediately behind her in the Lower Barclay????)

AP finally winning the National this year was pretty special, I was up on my feet, tears in my eyes whilst punching the air. Won a few quid on it too.....

Carl Lewis taking the baton as last leg in the 4x100m, and accelarating into full stride. Incredible.Courtney Walsh and Curtly Ambrose scaring seven shades of **** out of batting partnerships.The Oslo Dream Mile.One of those Wimbledon rallies that has the crowd cheering and gasping before the point has ended.

[quote user="Dan Druff"]

Am I the only one who really enjoyed Tiger Woods''s chip in for a birdie on the par 3 16th hole at Augusta in the 2005 Masters? It was 20 yards or so downhill, with a tremendous amount of borrow. The guy was on fire that day and went on to win the tournament. Whether he will ever recapture that form is another matter.

[/quote]

Difficult to hear the phrase "Tiger''s chipped in for a birdie" with a straight face these days.

Another cricket one - Atherton vs Donald at Trent Bridge in 1998. Worth watching on YouTube if you''re too young. Fabulous contest, Athers'' mental strength was never more obvious, and it set England on the road that eventually led to reclaiming the Ashes seven years later. The contest probably only lasted about half an hour, but I think it was about the most intense sport I''ve ever seen. Atherton''s account of it in his brilliant autobiography is well worth reading if you''re interested in the mental side of sport.

[quote user="Lord Horn"]

Gordon Bank''s save against Pele in the 1970 World Cup.

City in Munich.

(BTW with all the attention WITS is getting on here, how much am I bid for my season ticket seat immediately behind her in the Lower Barclay????)

[/quote]Why wouldn''t you want to stay there Lord Hord? I love having you behind me [;)]

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]Another cricket one - Atherton vs Donald at Trent Bridge in 1998. Worth watching on YouTube if you''re too young. Fabulous contest, Athers'' mental strength was never more obvious, and it set England on the road that eventually led to reclaiming the Ashes seven years later. The contest probably only lasted about half an hour, but I think it was about the most intense sport I''ve ever seen. Atherton''s account of it in his brilliant autobiography is well worth reading if you''re interested in the mental side of sport.[/quote]Yes, this was awesome.  I watched this live on BBC when we still had domestic TV coverage.  Donald got him out, I think, but Atherton didn''t walk and for the next 30 minutes he was subjected to the ultimate barrage of fast bowling.There are some obscure cricketing ones I remember fondly... Kapil Dev hitting Eddie Hemmings for four straight sixes to avoid the follow on (if memory serves me correctly), Simon Jones bowling Kasprowicz with the ultimate away swinger at 90mph, Gooch scoring 333 against India, Shane Warne''s first ball in test cricket to Mike Gatting...

"Shane Warne''s first ball in test cricket to Mike Gatting..."

It was jiggery pokery......best musical summing up of a great moment in sport

The whole Ashes series in 81 is still my favourite extended moment. Excitement, skill, endeavour, twists and turns...it really had it all

It started with 3 sidesteps from the great Phil Bennet and ended with a dive from the great Gareth Edwards.  Pure blissful magic, and still the greatest try ever scored!

And of course,  Jonny Wilkinson bisecting the posts in the last minute against the Aussies (yes, there were tears[:$])

[quote user="Sports Desk Pete"]A dog running onto a football pitch.[/quote]

Spurs had a habit of letting a live cockerel on the pitch.Amusing watching someone try to catch the little blighter!

A personal ''highlight''.Sitting with the Ultras at Ferencvaros.Good fun,until the Nazi salutes[:|]