Sign in to follow this  
Mister Chops

Your favourite moment in sport...

For me, it has to be when Van Barneveld beat Taylor in the darts final, the whole match was absolutely awesome and for it to finish 7-6  after sudden death was pretty special, I remember actually sweating buckets watching it.

A GB 400m relay team of John Regis, Roger Black, Kriss Akabusi and Derek Redmond (genuine characters with real personalities) beating the invincible Americans in the World Championship final.

Mine range from realising you are watching something special like Usain Bolt as he jogs across the line to break the 100m world record to the comical like Bruce Grobbelaar and his "wobbly legs" or Allan Lamb walking about in his crease to put the bowler off.....

Gossy''s volley in Munich and the home leg were unforgetable, as was the ear splitting rendition of OTBC prior to kick off in Cardiff.

Non City related moments would be Gazza v Scotland at Euro 96, 5-1 in Germany, Jenson winning the F1 title last year and the Ashes series in 2005 & 2009.

Non specifically, you can''t beat the underdog winning!

[quote user="morty"]I will be specific.

When Ali stopped playing possum and knocked George Foreman down against all the odds.
[/quote]

Also one of the great sporting quotes.  Foreman had been pounding Ali for 6 or 7 rounds and eventually his arms dropped.  Ali caught him with a punch and Forman went into a clinch to get his breath back.  Ali whispered to him - "Hell of a time to get tired, George"

Being in Sydney when it was awarded the Olympics,and ditto in London[Y]

Watching that swimmer from some African country,Eric the Ell i think. do it in the worlds slowest time, Brilliant.

England 5 Germany 1 Unforgettable

Norwich in Munich - Classic

Red Sox winning the world series after a 70 year wait...

Germany 1 England 5 was awesome. I''ve lived in Germany and love the place, but there''s nothing quite like beating them at football.Norwich in Munich was unforgetable for the same reasons, and was even more unexpected (if not by us, then everyone else).Outside football, Kelly Holmes winning the first of her gold medals brought a tear to my eye. And I''m not really much of an athletics fan - or maybe that''s why...

oh - and I was at the Oval on the final day of the 2005 ashes series. That was brilliant. Bought my ticket before the series started - cost a tenner or something so a couple of us thought "why not - if it''s a dead rubber and looks like we''ll only get 10 overs play then we won''t bother, but imagine if the series goes to the wire?" I don''t think we ever really expected it to, but that turned out pretty well.Normally when I go to see my team play live they do badly, so I was so tense that whole day until the beers really kicked in. On that subject, I have never seen Norwich win when I''ve been at the match. How miserable is that? These days I live abroad, and I used to live in London, so I don''t get to go that often. Which is probably a good thing for everyone else...

Valentino Rossi being given a 10 second penalty in a Moto GP race, then going on to win the race by 15 seconds, eradicating the penalty and still having what in Moto GP terms is a massive winning margain. Also when he was put to the back of the grid for "sweeping" his grid slot... then proceeded to come through the entire field and win the race. For me Rossi is the greatest sportsman ever.

David Beckham''s free kick against Greece was also immense.

For non specific ones:

A defence splitting pass (e.g. Robinho''s to Elano in the Brazil V N Korea Match)

A crunching tackle in a 50/50 situation.

The moment the net bulges from a powerful strike

A keeper saving at full stretch.

A flowing running and passing try in Rugby.

As for something fairly specific  Norwich''s title winng season aside I would have to say my favourite sporting moments this year have been provided by the Philly Flyers in Ice Hockey. From their penatly shoot-out win against the New York Rangers to make the playoffs in the final game. The way Boucher (the GK) put his demon''s behind him to perform fantastically to beath the Devils in the 1st round of the playoffs. The shocking moment Ian Laperriere dived to block a shot and the puck hit him in the face (you would never see that kind of commitment to stopping a goal from a footballer).The way they came back from 3-0 down to take the best of 7 series 4-3 against the Boston Bruins. The way Jeff Carter continued to play in the series despite having a broken foot. Even the way they finally lost in the Stanley cup finals. It was a fantastic event by some true underdogs that very nearly won the day.

Davo

[quote user="Chalk"]England winning 2003 rugby world cup in against Australia in Australia.[/quote]Agreed[Y]Nothing sweeter than beating the Aussies in their own back yard thanks to a last minute drop goal, the 2005 Ashes was pretty special too.

Flintoff''s over to Langer and Ponting at Edgbaston in the 2005 Ashes series. Brutal, brilliant bowling which suggested that England could at last compete with the best in the world. The high-point of English sport in my watching lifetime, if you ask me.

On a World Cup theme, David Platt''s last-minute volley against Belgium was up there, too. Great moment.

And, something a little more outre:

''And where were the Germans? But frankly, who cares?'' Does anyone else remember that?

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]And, something a little more outre: ''And where were the Germans? But frankly, who cares?'' Does anyone else remember that?[/quote]

Indeed, GB''s triumph in the men''s hockey final at the 1988 Olympics. Barry Davies.

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]Flintoff''s over to Langer and Ponting at Edgbaston in the 2005 Ashes series. Brutal, brilliant bowling which suggested that England could at last compete with the best in the world. The high-point of English sport in my watching lifetime, if you ask me.

On a World Cup theme, David Platt''s last-minute volley against Belgium was up there, too. Great moment.

And, something a little more outre:

''And where were the Germans? But frankly, who cares?'' Does anyone else remember that?[/quote]Great shout with the Ashes. Id also add us winning with two runs to spare, together with Flintoffs sportsmanship towards Lee. Those moments are up there with Jonny for me. Also Arizona diamondbacks beating the Yankees in game 7 of the 2001 world series. That series was the first baseball I had ever watched, and it didnt get any better than that.Alsso agree with Davo - for non-specific footballing moments you cant beat a defence splitting pass. Give me one of those over a 30 yard screamer anyday of the week.

That moment when Iwan Roberts "accidentally on purpose" kicked Kevin Muscat near the snakepit/lower Barclay corner, grinning all over his face, to the delight of all of us.

Bergkamps goal against Argentina - never seen a better goal and probably never willFlintoffs over in the ashes 2005 taking the wickets of Langer and Ponting - the best over ive ever witnessed being bowled, had one of the greatest batsmen of all time s*****g himself and not having a clue what to do. Also the 2 run win at Edgbaston earlier in the series, won with one of the worst deliveries of the whole series and just love Richie Benauds commentary "Jones! Bowden!"Germany 1-5 England. Can Watch over and over againFavourite Norwich moment...Mulryne''s goal against Reading that virtually secured promotionUnspecifically...An off break that moves from leg, makes the batsman play but completely miss, and hit top of off. (Warne to Gatting, Giles to Martyn)

In footballing terms what makes a great goal??,

a last minute winner?, the winning goal in an important cup game? or maybe the winner over your local rivals?.............but what if it was ALL THREE of these in one goal??

Steve Bruce''s header v Ipswich Milk Cup.......a single moment unlikely to be bettered in my lifetime !?