Sign in to follow this  
Cantley

Darl Sutch in yesterday's Observer

If you missed it, there was an affectionate piece in yesterday''s Observer about Daryl Sutch, "The Man For All Seasons", by novelist DJ Taylor. Well worth a read:
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/osm/story/0,6903,1140794,00.html

I read that of course and of course, I still follow him! At this moment he was very unfortunate to miss out again for the third division side Boston United, he was out for 3 or 4 months now with his bad ankle injury, not sure he will be back but just good luck to Daryl, hope he can make a comeback as soon as possible as he need to fight for his playing contract next season!!!

I was pleased in the article, the author was prasied his contribution to the club, finally I got someone who was good to him. Thanks DJ!

I was totally baffled by this article and I was unsure if it was a joke or not!!! Had he been watching the same Daryl Sutch as me all those years??

I always thought Sutchy was a mediocre player that wasn''t superb in any position. He was just ok in many.

I''m also curious why XXL16 is such a fan.

If they were talking about Ian Crook or Robert Fleck I can understand, but the only reason he never left was because no one else would have him.

or am i being too harsh???

I was totally baffled by this article and I was unsure if it was a joke or not!!! Had he been watching the same Daryl Sutch as me all those years??

I always thought Sutchy was a mediocre player that wasn''t superb in any position. He was just ok in many.

I''m also curious why XXL16 is such a fan?

If they were talking about Ian Crook or Robert Fleck I can understand, but the only reason he never left was because no one else would have him.

or am i being too harsh???

Don''t dis the Sutchmeister.

Personally, I liked Sutchy because you knew he was just glad to be there. He wasn''t a pretentious prima donna. He was one of us - a local lad and a fan. He would have paid the club to play.

Sure, he knew he wasn''t the most skillful player on the pitch, but he was honest and a tryer, and gave great service to the club.

I''ll remember him as fondly as players such as Jerry Goss - City through and through.

Sutchy was used extensively as a utility player and played in every position on the pitch for City. Who can forget his spell in goal away at Huddersfield when Marshall was sent off after 10 minutes? Sutchy was brilliant that day. Englands Number One, Englands, Englands Number One!

Thanks Disco, reading your Nickname has triggered great memories, and reading your post did the same. I always got on Sutch''s case, basically because he wasn''t very good at football, but I forgot those things that you just mentioned. His spell at the club was unfortunately mainly due "the bad old days" of the mid to late nineties, so that always left a bitter taste in the mouth. But he was a good guy, always game, and he did his best for us.

I liked Sutchy because of his loyalty and versatility for us, you don''t need to remind and yes it already passed it anyway, but 16 years with a club, with highs and lows with us, it''s not an easy to do! You have to know how many different managers he had worked for, if he wasn''t that good then any one of the manager will sail him out of the club!

Maybe you said no other clubs want to get him (Blackburn Rovers for half a million) but what he has to do is making himself become a first team regular in Norwich, I don''t know what''s wrong with him and Nigel Worthington but you can feel when he missed the spot-kick in Cardiff, he was the player I recall never scored a penalty for us but he had the guts to take the kick, sadly failed but showed his despair and commitment to the club! See how Phil Mulyrne reacted when his PK was saved: OK, nevermine, it''s just a penalty miss.

"He is Norwich!" as Peter Drury said!

Hi Disco Dale, it was very nice to see your appreciation to Sutchy and you did remember his heroic goalkeeping performance at Huddersfield, I saw the game''s highlights as I recall Andy Marshall sent off quite early in the game after fouling Marcus Stewart, Sutchy had the gloves on and made several of great saves, he was in full strectch to make flying saves to deny them. I recall he conceded the goal late in the game but he said someone (the away team) said "keeper", he didn''t move as the ball deflected Paul Hughes and in.

Sutchy scored some great goals too! Away at Villa Park, home at Nottingham Forest and of course his last goals for the Canaries -- away at Blackburn Rovers, the club want to sign me ages ago!!!

I am sorry, but I fail to see why there are so many mails regarding Daryl Sutch, a player who was average when he played for City and has been long gone. It totally baffles me, there must be hundreds of other former City players who have had much more significance than him

Honestly I think I am the man who need to response of Daryl Sutch''s postings. I am from Hong Kong and perhaps everyone will find I am very special or never understand why my favourite players wouldn''t be Roberts, Eadie, Bellamy, Marshall, Fleming or Mulyrne! It''s hard to explain but I am quite sure because of me, there are many fans in there or even in WOTB discuss more about Daryl Sutch.

Daryl maybe an average and not a superstar in anywhere, but perhaps this is the most I liked about him.