Sign in to follow this  
birchfest

Norwich to sign Simeon Jackson?

[quote user="dezmondo18"]Hy does it always happen on this board someone has a valid point and all you do is attack them in a war of words , at the end of the day we all bleed yellow , personally would love to see the lad join city[/quote]No one has been abusive or slagged the OP, its just a bit of fun...no harm ment[:D]

Wasn''t he the cheating diving scumbag that got Fraser sent off??........ Or was that the other guy [*-)]?

He is clearly a good player. However did anyone else notice he was on the bench at Gillingham towards the end of the season. Whether that was because of injury or personality clash with Stimson I have no idea but I think its a valid concern if we do sign him.

McDonald, Martin, Holt, Johnson, possibly Jackson and they all seem to have potential. Loans for McDonald and Johnson?

Jackson would be a quality signing im sure.Not sure how our front three would shape up if we do sign him though.  Im sure he wouldnt want to come here just to sit on our bench.....I reckon Martin will have a very good season in the Champ and although Holty wont score as many, im sure hell do fine too. Cody definitely needs to get out on loan and with Jackson coming in we will have a striker as quick (if not even quicker) yet a far more all round player too. Id personally keep Johnson as i reckon hed be a good Hoolahan replacement for when the little man is tired, injured or kicked out the game.

Jackson would be a good signing, wasn''t that long ago that he was being looked at by Premiership clubs, this lead to his dip in form according to Gills fans.

[quote user="Scooby"]Wasn''t he the cheating diving scumbag that got Fraser sent off??........ Or was that the other guy [*-)]?[/quote]

That was cutis weston(scum), however Jackson made himself somewhat unpopular by doing a little happy dance in front of the away support, not a great idea considering the controversial circumstances of Forster''s sending off.

This would be a great signing, to score 18 goals in a team like Gillingham is extremely impressive, particularly if it''s true that he was benched for a number of games towards the end. Can''t see the scoreline at carra being 2-0 to us if he''d been on from the start, they played some decent football and we were awful for long periods during that game.

This story is starting to add up. Gills have just signed a former non-league "wonder kid" from Fulham. The cottagers signed him a years ago froim Sutton Utd but it hasnt worked out at the Prem team. Pretty much in the same mould as Jackson.  mmm?

Stefan Payne [Fulham - Gillingham] Free

Attitude wise I think there would not be a probelm as Lambert would keep any ego under controll, I hope its true would certainly fit the quick striker role that we are missing and if you can finish in league 1 im fairly certain you can do it in the championship fairly well too!

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

Not jumping for joy at this.

I think it is obvious that we are trying to get the best that we can out of the limited budget that we have.  I think our budget is less than was originally hinted at, perhaps some money that was due to come in hasn''t, or Lambo compo coupled with one or two other things has taken away a proportion of the budget?

Obviously, being sensible you have to work within the budget you have because if you don''t it could all go t1ts up.  All of the new signings aren''t going to turn out to be gems, I just hope that there is 1 or 2 gems amongst them.

[/quote]How much do you think that Gillingham will want for him then?I don''t know if any of you remember but I was banging on about us signing him last summer and the back end of the previous season.  I think that Leicester''s Nigel pearson was rumoured to be sniffing around Simeon Jackson this time last year and was put off by an asking price of around £1.5 million.I think with a years experience now in the 3rd tier he would of held his price.  However, I also think he probably only has a year tops left to run on his contract now and I can''t imagine that he was too happy with how the season ended at Gillingham and relegation.I reckon the Gills may be willing to look at offers of around the £700k mark.  Especially if we can offer them a player or two thrown in to the deal.  There would be no point in them trying to keep an unhappy player with just a year to run on his contract if a club two leagues higher turn his head.

[quote user="Scooby"]Wasn''t he the cheating diving scumbag that got Fraser sent off??........ Or was that the other guy [*-)]?[/quote]That was Curtis Weston who took the tumble for the Gills at their place last season.  Jackson scored from the spot and did rub it in a bit in front of our fans to be fair.  But he was getting a lot of stick from the fans at our end of the ground prior to taking it and wouldn''t you just love Jackson, Chris Martin or Holty doing exactly the same to the opposition fans if they had been getting a bit of banter and just netted in front of them???

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

Not jumping for joy at this.

I think it is obvious that we are trying to get the best that we can out of the limited budget that we have.  I think our budget is less than was originally hinted at, perhaps some money that was due to come in hasn''t, or Lambo compo coupled with one or two other things has taken away a proportion of the budget?

Obviously, being sensible you have to work within the budget you have because if you don''t it could all go t1ts up.  All of the new signings aren''t going to turn out to be gems, I just hope that there is 1 or 2 gems amongst them.

[/quote]

How much do you think that Gillingham will want for him then?

I don''t know if any of you remember but I was banging on about us signing him last summer and the back end of the previous season.  I think that Leicester''s Nigel pearson was rumoured to be sniffing around Simeon Jackson this time last year and was put off by an asking price of around £1.5 million.

I think with a years experience now in the 3rd tier he would of held his price.  However, I also think he probably only has a year tops left to run on his contract now and I can''t imagine that he was too happy with how the season ended at Gillingham and relegation.

I reckon the Gills may be willing to look at offers of around the £700k mark.  Especially if we can offer them a player or two thrown in to the deal.  There would be no point in them trying to keep an unhappy player with just a year to run on his contract if a club two leagues higher turn his head.
[/quote]

It''s the eternal paradox. Sign a young striker with potential and some pedigree or an experienced player possibly past his best, with all the usual injury baggage that seems to come with older players. Jackson fits Lambert''s pattern, is fast, prolific (18 for a poor side is a good shift in anyone''s book) and has time to develop. As Smudge has said, he championed him a while ago and I still think he''s right.I''d be very happy with him here.

Would be very good. We need a striker who can play a full 90 as I dont think Johnson or McDonald can at the moment. Puts extra pressure on Chrissy to perform too.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

I think our budget is less than was originally hinted at, perhaps some money that was due to come in hasn''t, or Lambo compo coupled with one or two other things has taken away a proportion of the budget?

[/quote]

What was the "hinted at" budget? Because, for the life of me, I have no idea what sum Lambert has at his disposal. The compensation package to Colchester was always budgeted for and had no affect on the transfer budget.

Jackson is a goalscorer, definitely a good one to try and sign, especially if Holt gets injured.

[url=http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12874_6221347,00.html?]Gills shun Jackson bid[/url]

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12874_6221347,00.html?

We''ve had a bid of 500k rejected.

Im not sure 500k for someone who could potentially get a lot of goals for us next year would be a bargin. Of course the key word is potentially. Budget depending i would be tempted to go up to 1 million if we can because i really cant see cody or oli scoring enough next year if they get a chance. Although Gillingham are in league two next year we shud be able to tie up a deal for less than that with hopefully Cody going the other way on loan.

LOL rejecting 500k for a league one/two player whose contract ends next season. Gillingham are crazy to turn it down. Hopefully, the deal will probably be done when they realise they won''t be able to get much more for him.

[quote user="birchfest"]Would be a good signing if we pull it off!

http://gillingham.clubfans.co.uk/2010/06/18/norwich-linked-with-simeon-jackson/[/quote]  Well spotted Birchfest,[Y] (even if it doesn''t happen.)

So, the Daily Mirror are saying Jackson will sign for us "next week".

Any thoughts?

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-Norwich-set-to-sign-Gillingham-goal-machine-Simeon-Jackson-article494317.html

Decent signing imo if we get him, he''ll add a bit of pace which for me is the one thing we lack. Still think we need another big striker in case Holt struggles or gets injured, we looked poor without him last season.

[quote user="TheGoogler"]So, the Daily Mirror are saying Jackson will sign for us "next week". Any thoughts? http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-Norwich-set-to-sign-Gillingham-goal-machine-Simeon-Jackson-article494317.html[/quote]

Sorry, don''t know what happened there!

I think he''d be good for us. Hessenthaler''s statement was a pretty blatant attempt to start a bidding war and drive up the price, so I guess the only issue is how far we''ll go.