Martin

Johnson

McDonald

Daley

Possibles:

Forster

Still not sure:

Russell

So, looking at this what else do we need, well assume we get Fraser I still think we need one more keeper so that Rudd and Steer can go out on loan. I would also like to see another full back that could play either right back or left back, although budget restraint I would say Right Back. Midfield seems covered if Russell signs again and I think we need more firepower to help out. By my reckonings that 2 keepers (one of which will be Fraser), one more full back, one more centre mid if Rusty goes and another striker, hopefully with a bit of size to him.

What does everyone else think??

I think we for sure need one more striker, and may be better cover for Drury (I think Wiggins will leave soon). And of course - we need a goalkeeper, and I really hope that will be Forster.This is to get a 12th place next season. If we should target a play-off finish, I think we need at least 4 or 5 new "almost" premier league standard players.Remember that we got relegated with Russell and Clingan in central midfield, so it''s not important for me if Russell signs a new contract or not. But if he don''t, I hope we get one more quality player in that position.

[quote user="Docs Big Nose that was at the Heart of the Defence"]I think we need Forster, RB, LB (Rose), creative midfield, winger, target mann[/quote]I think we have good enough right backs in Martin, Spillane and Francomb. I haven''t seen much of Francomb myself, but I have heard and read that he should be very promising.

Keeper - hopefully Fraser

Keep Russell

Sign a lef sided midfielder - to keep Lappin on his toes

A forward to back up Holt

Otherwise we are kinda ok

[quote user="Docs Big Nose that was at the Heart of the Defence"]I think we need Forster, RB, LB (Rose), creative midfield, winger, target mann[/quote]

I would go a long with that but maybe swap the creative midfielder for a proven Championship scorer as well as target man competition for Holt. 

Is Crofts supposed to be our creative midfielder, a bit in the Nicky Bailey mould?

I think we are a long, long way off getting what we need to be competitive at the higher end of the table.

We definitely need a LB, and someone who can play across the defence would also be useful. Two from David Wright, Tom Kennedy & Richard Keogh (all of whom are free) would be fantastic.

With Tudor-Jones presumably leaving, Russel''s future uncertain & Gill''s position unknown, an extra CM is required. Stephen Dawson on a free from Bury would be my pick.

Definitely need at least 1 striker. Get Billy Paynter in on a free, then see how we look there.

Plus two wingers - Phillips & Green perhaps?

& Forster of course.

I rate alot of our current squad, but get all the above in & I wouldn''t be disappointed to see Tudor-Jones, McDonald, Russel, Wiggins or Gill leave. Having said that still think Wiggins has potential & Gill massively impressed me against Bristol Rovers so I''d be tempted to move Russel on and use Gill as back-up...

[quote user="City1st"]"This is to get a 12th place next season"

eh ?[/quote]I think we will get a 12th place, that''s why I wrote that.

[quote user="RichT - The Biscuit"]

...well assume we get Fraser I still think we need one more keeper so that Rudd and Steer can go out on loan... 

...By my reckonings that 2 keepers (one of which will be Fraser)...

...What does everyone else think??[/quote]

I think you need to read the pinkun from a few weeks back where Lambert said the plan was to send Rudd and Steer out on loan for half a season each, not at the same time.

[quote user="Ole"]I think we for sure need one more striker, and may be better cover for Drury (I think Wiggins will leave soon).
And of course - we need a goalkeeper, and I really hope that will be Forster.

This is to get a 12th place next season. If we should target a play-off finish, I think we need at least 4 or 5 new "almost" premier league standard players.

Remember that we got relegated with Russell and Clingan in central midfield, so it''s not important for me if Russell signs a new contract or not. But if he don''t, I hope we get one more quality player in that position.
[/quote]

does that rule out league 1 and 2 players?!

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

[quote user="Ole"]I think we for sure need one more striker, and may be better cover for Drury (I think Wiggins will leave soon). And of course - we need a goalkeeper, and I really hope that will be Forster.This is to get a 12th place next season. If we should target a play-off finish, I think we need at least 4 or 5 new "almost" premier league standard players.Remember that we got relegated with Russell and Clingan in central midfield, so it''s not important for me if Russell signs a new contract or not. But if he don''t, I hope we get one more quality player in that position.[/quote]

does that rule out league 1 and 2 players?!

[/quote]Why should it rule out players from L1 and L2? Example: Grant Holt is - according to me - "almost premier league standard".

On the full list of players under contract, plus Russell, two things strike me as worth comment:

1) Apart from Martin and Holt we are short of effective strikers. Joohnson may come good, but I have my doubts about Cody and even more about Daley.

2) In the list there are seven youngsters, some of who may prove themselves at Championship, or fill in adequately from the bench in the event of injury, and there are one or two more experienced players who have been rather unemployed. In the latter category I would include Gill, OTJ, Cody, Wiggins. Do these latter players have a future - could they be relied upon for an extended run in the side? These together amount to 11 out of 28 mentioned.

So unless we are going to rely on these relatively unproven players, and certainly if Russell or any of them leave, we probably need another three or four experienced signings at least, quite apart from two goalkeepers.

I think that we need:

- LB cover

- creative midfielder

- big striker

- two goalkeepers (if Rudd and Steer go out on loan) - one could be on loan perhaps, or both if Forster returns.

- one defensive midfielder if Russell leaves.

There are signs that PL is interested in finding a fast and direct winger - neither Lappin nor Macnamee being able to play in this role. If so, we have to add this to the list.

The conclusion is that PL still has to sign a number of players. As I have said before, one or two could be "major" purchases, like Holt last year and the others bargains.