Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

1 Million Pound Compo Over Lambert!!

At the end of the day Cowling is bound to claim anything as a victory. Clearly we are having to pay up (which we expected) but there is no points deduction ( also as expected) . No doubt the amount will come out at some point but I would be surprised if it''s as high as a million. Cowling''s comment could just mean the tribunal gave them more than we''d offered, which would be enough to get the nasty little chav puffing his chest out.

I can''t get worked up over this spat. The objective last August was to get promoted. McNally & Co decided to go for it at all costs and we got Lambert. The rest is history. We got out of the league and will benefit from being in a wealthier Championship, while Colchester are back where they started with a diminshed chance of progress. Boothroyd confirmed Lamberts decision by bailing out at the first opportunity as well.

Mr Cowling may be pleased with himself for winning a moral victory, but 95 points and promotion were all that really mattered. The league table will be there forever - this little ruck should be forgotten for what it was - a spat over Mr Cowlings ego taking a kicking when he was dumped.

How long did Lambert have left on his contract? Besides a lot of the time the compensation thing is worked out pretty easily. Seems like lil'' robbie stamped his feet too hard and hurt his lil'' toes. Fact is Lambert was a league 1 manager so compensation of a million pounds is quite frankly absurd. Besides it seems that Colchester have given up on signing good players and are just going to make money by getting compensation for their managers leaving.

[quote user="Good Touch For A Big Man"]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/colchester_united/8714614.stm

Listen to last 30 seconds of the interview. Sounds like Cowling has got a shedload of money, probably an embargo on us signing players or something to that effect but possibly no points deduction. I know I am guessing and jumping to conclusion but it seems to fit.

[/quote]

Can''t be an embargo as we have already signed players

[quote user="Heresyourfathersgun"]

I can''t get worked up over this spat. The objective last August was to get promoted. McNally & Co decided to go for it at all costs and we got Lambert. The rest is history. We got out of the league and will benefit from being in a wealthier Championship, while Colchester are back where they started with a diminshed chance of progress. Boothroyd confirmed Lamberts decision by bailing out at the first opportunity as well.

Mr Cowling may be pleased with himself for winning a moral victory, but 95 points and promotion were all that really mattered. The league table will be there forever - this little ruck should be forgotten for what it was - a spat over Mr Cowlings ego taking a kicking when he was dumped.

[/quote]

Very well said

[quote user="Beauseant"]At the end of the day Cowling is bound to claim anything as a victory. Clearly we are having to pay up (which we expected) but there is no points deduction ( also as expected) . No doubt the amount will come out at some point but I would be surprised if it''s as high as a million. Cowling''s comment could just mean the tribunal gave them more than we''d offered, which would be enough to get the nasty little chav puffing his chest out.[/quote]

Even if things hadn''t gone quite all his way I don''t think he would have come out and admitted he was angry and unhappy.

We are now in the CCC and his team is still a division 1 tinpot club, nowt has changed, for us it''s onwards and upwards, for them, who gives a damn lol

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[quote user="Beauseant"]At the end of the day Cowling is bound to claim anything as a victory. Clearly we are having to pay up (which we expected) but there is no points deduction ( also as expected) . No doubt the amount will come out at some point but I would be surprised if it''s as high as a million. Cowling''s comment could just mean the tribunal gave them more than we''d offered, which would be enough to get the nasty little chav puffing his chest out.[/quote]

Even if things hadn''t gone quite all his way I don''t think he would have come out and admitted he was angry and unhappy.

We are now in the CCC and his team is still a division 1 tinpot club, nowt has changed, for us it''s onwards and upwards, for them, who gives a damn lol

[/quote]Actually that is what he''s done - admitted he wasn''t entirely happy with the outcome. I understand some of the vitriol directed against Cowling but when you strip away the rhetoric all he has been doing is standing up for his club. I think that''s what someone in his position is meant to do. When Aston Villa (or whoever) poach Lambert and we''re the tinpot club then fans will be wanting Bowkett to be equally foreceful.And IF the tribunal has found that we broke the rules (and did so in such an incompetent way that we got found out) then Cowling - loudmouth or not - will have been vindicated.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[/quote]

Actually that is what he''s done - admitted he wasn''t entirely happy with the outcome. I understand some of the vitriol directed against Cowling but when you strip away the rhetoric all he has been doing is standing up for his club. I think that''s what someone in his position is meant to do. When Aston Villa (or whoever) poach Lambert and we''re the tinpot club then fans will be wanting Bowkett to be equally foreceful.

And IF the tribunal has found that we broke the rules (and did so in such an incompetent way that we got found out) then Cowling - loudmouth or not - will have been vindicated.
[/quote]

Hmmmm I don''t like the bloke or his tinpot club.

Rather leave seats empty than hand more to the NCFC fans?  He''s done himself no favours in what he''s said in the past.

No one will actually find out totally what''s gone on and what he did or did not get, unless both clubs make statements.

We''ve had managers leave before and I don''t remember our club ever spewing so much crap as Cowling has done.

Besides which, Cowling got the better manager didn''t he? [:^)]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[/quote]

Actually that is what he''s done - admitted he wasn''t entirely happy with the outcome. I understand some of the vitriol directed against Cowling but when you strip away the rhetoric all he has been doing is standing up for his club. I think that''s what someone in his position is meant to do. When Aston Villa (or whoever) poach Lambert and we''re the tinpot club then fans will be wanting Bowkett to be equally foreceful.

And IF the tribunal has found that we broke the rules (and did so in such an incompetent way that we got found out) then Cowling - loudmouth or not - will have been vindicated.
[/quote]

But Purple Canary you aren''t suggesting that McNally could have been incompetent .... are you.... surely not ... ? How very dare you ! I''m led to believe (by read messages on this MB anyway) that the sun shines our of his mc''arras. TBH I thought we were bang to rights at the time and nothing has been said since to have changed my mind. Having said that, how Cowling can have expected 7 figure compensation when only days after Lambert''s departure he was trumpeting that in Boothroyd he had found a better manager defies logic. But then, there doesn''t seem to be much place for logic anywhere these days.

[quote user="Alf Tupper"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[/quote]Actually that is what he''s done - admitted he wasn''t entirely happy with the outcome. I understand some of the vitriol directed against Cowling but when you strip away the rhetoric all he has been doing is standing up for his club. I think that''s what someone in his position is meant to do. When Aston Villa (or whoever) poach Lambert and we''re the tinpot club then fans will be wanting Bowkett to be equally foreceful.And IF the tribunal has found that we broke the rules (and did so in such an incompetent way that we got found out) then Cowling - loudmouth or not - will have been vindicated.[/quote]

But Purple Canary you aren''t suggesting that McNally could have been incompetent .... are you.... surely not ... ? How very dare you ! I''m led to believe (by read messages on this MB anyway) that the sun shines our of his mc''arras. TBH I thought we were bang to rights at the time and nothing has been said since to have changed my mind. Having said that, how Cowling can have expected 7 figure compensation when only days after Lambert''s departure he was trumpeting that in Boothroyd he had found a better manager defies logic. But then, there doesn''t seem to be much place for logic anywhere these days.

[/quote]Alf, in such matters the crime has never been the crime itself but being found out! Whether that applies in our case I have no idea. We shall soon see.

[quote user="Alf Tupper"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

If this is anyone''s fault it is probably Lambert''s. He should never of quit from Colchester whilst Norwich were still in negotiations as it meant Norwich''s position was totally compromised.

Wouldn''t be surprised if the pay-out ended up being a million pounds, the Football League are very big on the seemingly larger clubs flexing their muscles over the smaller ones.

The compensation is to reflect a punishment on Norwich rather than a true reflection of the value of Lambert, Culverhouse and Karsa. Although it is probably worth the money we could''ve had him for much cheaper if everyone at Norwich and Lambert himself had done things by the book.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Alf Tupper"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Alf, in such matters the crime has never been the crime itself but being found out! Whether that applies in our case I have no idea. We shall soon see.
[/quote]

but "It''s not what you know it''s what you can prove" ! But then in a civil court it''s not what you can prove it''s "the balance of probabilities" - but in a football league tribunal probably anything goes !

Speed was of the essence if we were to secure promotion.  By "doing it by the book" we could have been messing about for weeks, especially as Cowling doesn''t strike me as the type to accept there''s no point trying to hang on to someone who doesn''t want to stay. 

If the same thing happens to us, ie. PL being poached by a bigger club, you won''t find me complaining.  He got us out of a huge hole last season, he owes us nothing.  And I won''t be sorry either if it knocks us off our "holier than thou" pedestal, welcome to the real world.

[quote user="canary cherub "]

Speed was of the essence if we were to secure promotion.  By "doing it by the book" we could have been messing about for weeks, especially as Cowling doesn''t strike me as the type to accept there''s no point trying to hang on to someone who doesn''t want to stay. 

If the same thing happens to us, ie. PL being poached by a bigger club, you won''t find me complaining.  He got us out of a huge hole last season, he owes us nothing.  And I won''t be sorry either if it knocks us off our "holier than thou" pedestal, welcome to the real world.

[/quote]Thats pretty much as I see it.

IF it cost us a million in compensation in order to secure Paul Lambert and his sidekicks, it is nothing compared to the money and time wasted in employing Peter Grant, Glen Roeder and Bryan Gunn + their sidekicks and all the lousy players we bought or borrowed over the years since Nigel Worthington left.

I would be very surprised if compensation was over £400k, however, if it is, and if it hurts then I doubt it would hurt as much as another season in League One with our best players poached by promoted and Championship clubs and, in Colchester''s case, dropping out of the top six when it seemed harder not to.

In addition, I think our Board did well to string it out for so long so it wasn''t a distraction in the run in.

For Cowling, it is all about saving face, so he is going to spout off anyway. Tell you what, Robbie, when you need a reality check just take a look at the fixture lists when they come out.

[quote user="When Saturday Comes"]Absolute rubbish I imagine, but either way, Lambert is/was worth every penny. [/quote]

BINGO !!!!!!!!!!  WORTH  EVERY PENNY   DID  YOU  HEAR  THAT  COWLING ???Oh by the way  which league are  you in  again  LOL WE ARE  THE  CHAMPIONS  AND GUESS  WHO  DID IT FOR US  a  clue   every ones  doing this walk  down at carrow  road   LOL

[quote user="Yellow Rose of Texas"]"I would be very surprised if compensation was over £400k"

Good guess, and very close = $425K + $75 K fine apparently..[/quote]He''s still surprised though [:P]

[quote user="ſilly ſauſage"][quote user="Yellow Rose of Texas"]"I would be very surprised if compensation was over £400k" Good guess, and very close = $425K + $75 K fine apparently..[/quote]

He''s still surprised though [:P]
[/quote]

But not very[;)]

[/quote]Actually that is what he''s done - admitted he wasn''t entirely happy with the outcome. I understand some of the vitriol directed against Cowling but when you strip away the rhetoric all he has been doing is standing up for his club. I think that''s what someone in his position is meant to do. When Aston Villa (or whoever) poach Lambert and we''re the tinpot club then fans will be wanting Bowkett to be equally foreceful.And IF the tribunal has found that we broke the rules (and did so in such an incompetent way that we got found out) then Cowling - loudmouth or not - will have been vindicated.[/quote]

[/quote]---So now we know. We did commit the crime of being careless enough to be

found out. Leave aside that we have almost certainly ended up paying

more compensation than we offered. Instead of a nominal points penalty

that might have pleased a grandstanding Cowling but which wouldn''t have

affected anything we''ve had to cough up £75,000 of real money.

And from now on we are going to have to be extremely circumspect about

how we approach managerial and coaching targets and quite possibly even

playing targets. It doesn''t take a genius to work out that if we

transgress again not only will the extra £125,000 be imposed (a

certainty if still applicable) but - as serial offenders - a points

penalty might well come into the equation.

So, all round an absolute triumph.

Content enough with that, as I''m sure are the board so the bravado of Cowling is rather amusing now that he''s claiming some kind of moral victory from this! What a t0sser.

We coulda been in financial trouble hanging around League One like others have. £500k is a bargain, it really is.

If someone would have offered us a manager for £500k that would have got us promoted, we would have taken it, so i am well chuffed with the result. Well done McNally.

First Wiz in ''the sky is falling in'' incident! What a shocker!

[quote user="Pboro_Canary"]Proof once again that you should not take as gospel what you see on message boards [;)]
[/quote]Especially if it''s a thread started by that Wizard bloke.............

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Pboro_Canary"]Proof once again that you should not take as gospel what you see on message boards [;)]
[/quote]Especially if it''s a thread started by that Wizard bloke.............[/quote]Eh, check my first post on this thread, I was merely the messenger, not the author and I clearly stated that I doubted its validiity.

Still, well chuffed with the outcome, Compo Utd fans must be spitting blood tonight.