Sign in to follow this  
chrisr1606

Scum squad comparison

I have seen a lot of posts about what players we still need to sign and get rid of.  As nobody really knows who Lambert is looking at I thought it might be a good idea to compare our squad with another. I decided it might as well be Ipswich as they finished mid-table-ish last season and let''s face it, if we finished above them then I think most would consider that an achievement.  I''ve tried to leave youngsters that won''t feature out of the lists, but may have included some of Ipswichs as they don''t seem to have too many defenders.  Players in bold are who I currently think would start the first game of next season going by the squads as they are, players underlined are those I think have uncertain futures.GoalkeepersRudd, SteerMurphy, Lee-BarrattDefendersR. Martin, Spillane, Drury, Wiggins, Ward, Whitbread, Nelson, AskouDelaney, McAuley, Bruce, Smith, O''Connor, Ainsley, Brown, EastmanMidfieldersSmith, Daley, McNamee, Hughes, Russell, Hoolahan, OTJ, Gill, Lappin, Adeyemi, CroftsLeadbitter, Garvan, Martin, Norris, Peters, Civelli, Healey, Edwards, QuinnStrikersHolt, Martin, McDonald, JohnsonCounago, Lisbie, Stead, Priskin, Walters, Wickham

Obviously neither squad will stay as it currently is but I think it will be interesting to keep an eye on the development of each throughout the close season.  At the moment I think we aren''t too far away because I think our squad would score more goals than theirs and they don''t seem to have much cover in defence, although I could be wrong as I haven''t kept too close a look at their team during the last season.

I would expect us to still strengthen at LB, on the wings and up front.  Any comments from lurking Scummers would be welcome, as you will know more about any rumours with your squad than we will (and if I have got the team correct), but lets try and keep all banter friendly![:D]

[quote user="Docs Big Nose that was at the Heart of the Defence"]

Nelson doesn''t have an uncertain future, he WILL be back-up CB.

[/quote]I don''t think from a fans perspective we can say he definitely will be part of the squad next season.  He''s done brilliantly for us but I would say he is the worst of the 4 CBs.

Nelson after the release of the Doc is my opinion the best CB we''ve got. Wards not played for us yet, Askous done les than Nelson and despite Whitbread being the best thing since sliced bread in many peoples eyes did not do enough to get in the team!

This Whitbread myth p isses me off, I look for end product!

I think all 3 promoted teams Norwich, Leeds and Millwall with a litle tweaking can all do well next season. The Championships not that great! 

[quote user="chrisr1606"][quote user="Docs Big Nose that was at the Heart of the Defence"]

Nelson doesn''t have an uncertain future, he WILL be back-up CB.

[/quote]

I don''t think from a fans perspective we can say he definitely will be part of the squad next season.  He''s done brilliantly for us but I would say he is the worst of the 4 CBs.
[/quote]

Spot on, he did well in League 1 but will really struggle at Championship standard

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

Nelson after the release of the Doc is my opinion the best CB we''ve got. Wards not played for us yet, Askous done les than Nelson and despite Whitbread being the best thing since sliced bread in many peoples eyes did not do enough to get in the team!

I think all 3 promoted teams Norwich, Leeds and Millwall with a litle tweaking can all do well next season. The Championships not that great! 

[/quote]

seriously the blokes been injured all season not that he wasnt good enough, if you cant notice in the breif spells he has played that he a player of quality and at least potential you couldnt pick rooney out of a under 12 girls sunday team. Askou was rock before he got injured to.

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

[/quote]

Whitbread played one game.  A bit harsh to judge him like that after one game in which he hadn''t played for ages before then.

Also you say Nelson done more than Askou and that would be because Askou got injured.  Before Askou got that lengthy injury Nelson was no where near the side.

"might as well be Ipswich as they finished mid-table-ish last season and let''s face it, if we finished above them then I think most would consider that an achievement"

You have to be kidding. A team that struggled all season and barely wheezed above the relegation places. A team whose top scorer struggled to beat Docherty''s total and will now be cut back even further.

Remind us who is having to sell players to balance the books and whose manager has talked of bringing in out of contract players.

If we finish outside of the playoffs we will have failed. how many places above relegation the paupers finish matters little to us. The are relegation fodder and should not feature in any realistic comparison.

[quote user="Ralph Wright"]"

If we finish outside of the playoffs we will have failed. how many places above relegation the paupers finish matters little to us. The are relegation fodder and should not feature in any realistic comparison.[/quote]What a silly comment!

"What a silly comment!" (quote)

What is silly about that comment?

Our Chairman has clearly stated we are aiming for a top 6 place.

If you are not like-minded you should go and watch another team!

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]"What a silly comment!" (quote)

If you are not like-minded you should go and watch another team![/quote]I understand all that and I really hope we get a top 6 place next year however we will by no means have failed if we dont get a top 6 place.

[quote user="Ralph Wright"]"might as well be Ipswich as they finished mid-table-ish last season and let''s face it, if we finished above them then I think most would consider that an achievement"

You have to be kidding. A team that struggled all season and barely wheezed above the relegation places. A team whose top scorer struggled to beat Docherty''s total and will now be cut back even further.

Remind us who is having to sell players to balance the books and whose manager has talked of bringing in out of contract players.

If we finish outside of the playoffs we will have failed. how many places above relegation the paupers finish matters little to us. The are relegation fodder and should not feature in any realistic comparison.[/quote]You do realise the reason we ''wheezed above the relegation places'' was because of our terrible start, don''t you? Our form from November onwards was virtually top six form...Who are these players we are selling to balance the books then? It makes me laugh when you mock us for letting deadwood such as Alex Bruce and Alan Quinn go - it''s like that because we have money we are supposed to have a bloated squad! Why should we?Yes, Keane has talked about 1 or 2 out of contract targets in mind but he has also placed a 3.5m bid for Michael Chopra and is also very keen on Gary Hooper - two players Norwich would be very keen to have.Potentially, Chopra and Wickham Vs Holt and Martin - and you say we''ll be the relegation fodder?Just remember, we may have had our worst season in many years, but we have still finished above you guys for the last five years and have a squad packed full of Championship experience that we will add to for next season.

[quote user="portmanking"][quote user="Ralph Wright"]"might as well be Ipswich as they finished mid-table-ish last season and let''s face it, if we finished above them then I think most would consider that an achievement" You have to be kidding. A team that struggled all season and barely wheezed above the relegation places. A team whose top scorer struggled to beat Docherty''s total and will now be cut back even further. Remind us who is having to sell players to balance the books and whose manager has talked of bringing in out of contract players. If we finish outside of the playoffs we will have failed. how many places above relegation the paupers finish matters little to us. The are relegation fodder and should not feature in any realistic comparison.[/quote]

You do realise the reason we ''wheezed above the relegation places'' was because of our terrible start, don''t you? Our form from November onwards was virtually top six form...

Who are these players we are selling to balance the books then? It makes me laugh when you mock us for letting deadwood such as Alex Bruce and Alan Quinn go - it''s like that because we have money we are supposed to have a bloated squad! Why should we?

Yes, Keane has talked about 1 or 2 out of contract targets in mind but he has also placed a 3.5m bid for Michael Chopra and is also very keen on Gary Hooper - two players Norwich would be very keen to have.

Potentially, Chopra and Wickham Vs Holt and Martin - and you say we''ll be the relegation fodder?

Just remember, we may have had our worst season in many years, but we have still finished above you guys for the last five years and have a squad packed full of Championship experience that we will add to for next season.
[/quote]

Your squad packed full of Championship experience will continue playing at this level even based on your assertion "Our form from November onwards was virtually top six form...".

This statement doesn''t quite stack up. From the last 28 league games last season you earned 40 points at an average of 1.42 per game. Assuming this form from the start of the season, you would''ve achieved 65 points - enough to finish 8th or 9th...

[quote user=" CT "][quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]"What a silly comment!" (quote)

If you are not like-minded you should go and watch another team![/quote]I understand all that and I really hope we get a top 6 place next year however we will by no means have failed if we dont get a top 6 place.[/quote]Spot on CT

[quote user="Drazen Muzinic"]

Your squad packed full of Championship experience will continue playing at this level even based on your assertion "Our form from November onwards was virtually top six form...".

This statement doesn''t quite stack up. From the last 28 league games last season you earned 40 points at an average of 1.42 per game. Assuming this form from the start of the season, you would''ve achieved 65 points - enough to finish 8th or 9th...

[/quote]Alternatively, 65 points would be 5 points off the playoffs (meaning you could have gone into the last game of the season in with a shout of making them) which I would say is indeed "just missing out". It pains me to say anything positive about the binners but, had they turned a few more of those draws into wins last season they would have been well in the mix. They lost the same number of league games as Cardiff but what crippled them was 20 draws. Their squad is a good indication of what you need to be a middle to top half Championship set up, but I don''t think we look far off that now and with a few more good signings likely still to come I think we should measure up favourably by the start of the season.

The difference between us and them is we''ve got a great manager. Regardless of our players, our team is better than their''s by a full Lambert and half a Keane.

[quote user="First Jedi"]The difference between us and them is we''ve got a great manager. Regardless of our players, our team is better than their''s by a full Lambert and half a Keane.[/quote]Time will tell if Lambert really is a great manager. I find it interesting that you''re quite happy to label Lambert a great manager after one promotion but Keane, who took Sunderland from 22nd to 1st in the Championship and then comfortably kept them in the top flight, is only half as good... From afar it would seem that many of Lambert''s own signings last season were decidedly average - lets see how he gets on with the bigger boys.

"Time will tell if Lambert really is a great manager. I find it interesting that you''re quite happy to label Lambert a great manager after one promotion but Keane, who took Sunderland from 22nd to 1st in the Championship and then comfortably kept them in the top flight, is only half as good... "

So far, Lambert hasn''t failed to have a successful season, whatever team he has managed. Don''t pretend for a second that the same could be said of Keane.

Lambert was the difference this season, between being mid-table and utterly kicking arse. I think he''ll be the difference this season between relegation battle and play-off challengers.

My confidence might, in your opinion, be misplaced - but honestly - don''t you wish you had as much confidence in Keane, as I do in Lambert?

Sorry;

Lambert was the difference LAST season, between being mid-table and utterly kicking arse. I think he''ll be the difference this season between relegation battle and play-off challengers.

[quote user="First Jedi"]"Time will tell if Lambert really is a great manager. I find it interesting that you''re quite happy to label Lambert a great manager after one promotion but Keane, who took Sunderland from 22nd to 1st in the Championship and then comfortably kept them in the top flight, is only half as good... "

So far, Lambert hasn''t failed to have a successful season, whatever team he has managed. Don''t pretend for a second that the same could be said of Keane.

Lambert was the difference this season, between being mid-table and utterly kicking arse. I think he''ll be the difference this season between relegation battle and play-off challengers.

My confidence might, in your opinion, be misplaced - but honestly - don''t you wish you had as much confidence in Keane, as I do in Lambert?[/quote]I''m not pretending anything - it was a difficult season for all concerned there''s no hiding away from that. But progress has been made, we are harder to beat than we have been for a decade - as one of the previous posters said, if we had turned just 3-4 draws into wins we would have been well in the mix.I do think you are putting Lambert on a worryingly high pedestal - what if he isn''t the difference between Norwich being in a relegation battle and playoff challengers? What would your opinion be if you hovered above the drop zone all season? He would be as good as Keane going by your measurements.

"I do think you are putting Lambert on a worryingly high pedestal"

I''m inclined to agree. But Lambert has done nothing to shake my confidence in him. And, for the first time since seemly forever, I''ve a manager I''ve 100% confidence in... and I''m enjoying the implications of that. Sorry, if you can''t remember what''s that is like...

"what if he isn''t the difference between Norwich being in a relegation battle and playoff challengers? What would your opinion be if you hovered above the drop zone all season? He would be as good as Keane going by your measurements."

Yep he would be... and if he sprouts wings and flies over Carrow Road, I''ll be convinced he''s really is the messiah... have you got a point? :)

[quote user="First Jedi"]"I do think you are putting Lambert on a worryingly high pedestal"

I''m inclined to agree. But Lambert has done nothing to shake my confidence in him. And, for the first time since seemly forever, I''ve a manager I''ve 100% confidence in... and I''m enjoying the implications of that. Sorry, if you can''t remember what''s that is like...

"what if he isn''t the difference between Norwich being in a relegation battle and playoff challengers? What would your opinion be if you hovered above the drop zone all season? He would be as good as Keane going by your measurements."

Yep he would be... and if he sprouts wings and flies over Carrow Road, I''ll be convinced he''s really is the messiah... have you got a point? :)[/quote]Well funnily enough many of us do have faith in Keane as we have seen a change in attitude in the squad and club as a whole since the turn of the year. Have I got a point? Well yes I believe I do as there is more chance of you being in a relegation battle than being playoff challengers IMO. I would be interested to see how people react to Lambert if City are in the bottom six by October/November...

"Well funnily enough many of us do have faith in Keane as we have seen a change in attitude in the squad and club as a whole since the turn of the year. "

Fair nuff - but you have faith in Keane after a (self-admitted) poor season, but still question my faith Lambert after a stupidly successful season that was far beyond my wildest dreams.... well... I think that sums it up nicely! :)

"Have I got a point? Well yes I believe I do as there is more chance of you being in a relegation battle than being playoff challengers IMO. I would be interested to see how people react to Lambert if City are in the bottom six by October/November..."

You opinion is fair enough, again. It shouldn''t be a problem coming up with excuses, we could just check an Ipswich forum and copy all the excuses you''ve been trotting out for Keane since he arrived...

[quote user="First Jedi"]"Well funnily enough many of us do have faith in Keane as we have seen a change in attitude in the squad and club as a whole since the turn of the year. "

Fair nuff - but you have faith in Keane after a (self-admitted) poor season, but still question my faith Lambert after a stupidly successful season that was far beyond my wildest dreams.... well... I think that sums it up nicely! :)

"Have I got a point? Well yes I believe I do as there is more chance of you being in a relegation battle than being playoff challengers IMO. I would be interested to see how people react to Lambert if City are in the bottom six by October/November..."

You opinion is fair enough, again. It shouldn''t be a problem coming up with excuses, we could just check an Ipswich forum and copy all the excuses you''ve been trotting out for Keane since he arrived...[/quote]Like I''ve said, there are no excuses for the start we made to the season. It can be said that it was somewhat of a transitional period in terms of new signings and a change of playing style/attitude, but there is no way we should have been scrapping around the foot of the table for that long. Keane knows he''s got to get it right this summer and has said it''s the most important period of his managerial career to date.

[quote user="portmanking"][quote user="First Jedi"]"I do think you are putting Lambert on a worryingly high pedestal" I''m inclined to agree. But Lambert has done nothing to shake my confidence in him. And, for the first time since seemly forever, I''ve a manager I''ve 100% confidence in... and I''m enjoying the implications of that. Sorry, if you can''t remember what''s that is like... "what if he isn''t the difference between Norwich being in a relegation battle and playoff challengers? What would your opinion be if you hovered above the drop zone all season? He would be as good as Keane going by your measurements." Yep he would be... and if he sprouts wings and flies over Carrow Road, I''ll be convinced he''s really is the messiah... have you got a point? :)[/quote]

Well funnily enough many of us do have faith in Keane as we have seen a change in attitude in the squad and club as a whole since the turn of the year.

Have I got a point? Well yes I believe I do as there is more chance of you being in a relegation battle than being playoff challengers IMO. I would be interested to see how people react to Lambert if City are in the bottom six by October/November...
[/quote]

We''ve come up from League 1, October is 2/3 months into the season, its a distinct possibility, now f*ck off...

[quote user="NCFC91"]

[quote user="portmanking"][quote user="First Jedi"]"I do think you are putting Lambert on a worryingly high pedestal" I''m inclined to agree. But Lambert has done nothing to shake my confidence in him. And, for the first time since seemly forever, I''ve a manager I''ve 100% confidence in... and I''m enjoying the implications of that. Sorry, if you can''t remember what''s that is like... "what if he isn''t the difference between Norwich being in a relegation battle and playoff challengers? What would your opinion be if you hovered above the drop zone all season? He would be as good as Keane going by your measurements." Yep he would be... and if he sprouts wings and flies over Carrow Road, I''ll be convinced he''s really is the messiah... have you got a point? :)[/quote]Well funnily enough many of us do have faith in Keane as we have seen a change in attitude in the squad and club as a whole since the turn of the year. Have I got a point? Well yes I believe I do as there is more chance of you being in a relegation battle than being playoff challengers IMO. I would be interested to see how people react to Lambert if City are in the bottom six by October/November...[/quote]

We''ve come up from League 1, October is 2/3 months into the season, its a distinct possibility, now f*ck off...

[/quote]Hahaha, I''m not going anywhere! If you''re too small-minded to join in with mature debate then that''s your problem...

[quote user="portmanking"][quote user="NCFC91"]

[quote user="portmanking"][quote user="First Jedi"]"I do think you are putting Lambert on a worryingly high pedestal" I''m inclined to agree. But Lambert has done nothing to shake my confidence in him. And, for the first time since seemly forever, I''ve a manager I''ve 100% confidence in... and I''m enjoying the implications of that. Sorry, if you can''t remember what''s that is like... "what if he isn''t the difference between Norwich being in a relegation battle and playoff challengers? What would your opinion be if you hovered above the drop zone all season? He would be as good as Keane going by your measurements." Yep he would be... and if he sprouts wings and flies over Carrow Road, I''ll be convinced he''s really is the messiah... have you got a point? :)[/quote]

Well funnily enough many of us do have faith in Keane as we have seen a change in attitude in the squad and club as a whole since the turn of the year.

Have I got a point? Well yes I believe I do as there is more chance of you being in a relegation battle than being playoff challengers IMO. I would be interested to see how people react to Lambert if City are in the bottom six by October/November...
[/quote]

[/quote]

Hahaha, I''m not going anywhere! If you''re too small-minded to join in with mature debate then that''s your problem...
[/quote]

[|-)]

"Like I''ve said, there are no excuses for the start we made to the season. It can be said that it was somewhat of a transitional period in terms of new signings and a change of playing style/attitude, but there is no way we should have been scrapping around the foot of the table for that long. Keane knows he''s got to get it right this summer and has said it''s the most important period of his managerial career to date."

Honestly, I reckon Keane''ll be gone after 10 games next season, after you make another poor start. Lambert should have had a "transitional period" with us this season, the previous manager having bought 12 new players and not really having much chance to buy any himself - eventually he brought in 5 or so. He did alright with those 17 new signings and a "change of playing style/attitude" during a "transitional season"... long may it continue!

I think that the Norwich faithful will have a lot of patience with Lambert, if indeed we are low in the table at the start...