Sign in to follow this  
TheGoogler

Defence sorted?

RB:Martin, Spillane

CB: Ward, Askou, Nelson, Whitbread

LB:Drury, Smith

What do you think? Personally I like the look of it. Will reserve full judgement until I see us in action, but I''d be fairly confident in playing any combination of that above against most, if not all in this league. Very encouraging stuff.

Looks good, although for some reason I still feel a bit nervous about the RB position

[quote user="Thunderbirds are go"]Looks good, although for some reason I still feel a bit nervous about the RB position[/quote]so do i. The question is, who''s available?

I''m not convinced by the right back slot. I think Spillane has the potential to be good there and may have been more confident if he''d played a full season last season but I don''t think R. Martin is good enough defensively for this level. I therefore hope to see a right back brought in and then i think the defence is looking ok given that sillane can also fill in at CB if needed and in a real emergency Lappin could play left back.

It looks good, but one more signing in this area would round it off perfectly for me.

A few people have said that we''re a bit weak at RB, so someone who can play there would be ideal.

David Wright, Richard Keogh & Kirk Broadfoot can all play across the defence (RB, LB, CB) & are all available on free transfers. I''d take any of them, then look at improving the midfield/attack/etc.

Rusty can play right back if needed?But yes I agree with the OP that the defence is near enough sorted- Super FF coming back would only strengthen that claim.As for the rest of the squad I would be looking for:one new striker as back up for Holtya right midfielder and a left midfielder super FF

Russell can not play RB. If we EVER get to the point where he is playing RB it''s a clear indication we didn''t do enough this summer.

Smith is a far more realistic choice as an emergency RB, but even then I''d rather have a genuine defender playing there.

Looks much as last season. Two players for each place. I can''t remember when we had four centre backs (last season, actually), five if you count Spillane. But we normally have a couple of regular centre backs with someone who can move from rightback or midfield when needed.

What this policy suggests is that Lambert has targeted those he wants and has moved as quickly as possible - rather than having to wait like others and see how much they have to spend once they''ve cleared out the unwanted players.

Far better to have the squad sorted as early as possible so as to be able to get working together rather than bringing players in at the last moment. I would we will get another midfield player and a striker and that''ll be it.

Also possibly a couple from Gill, Tudor Jones, Rose, MacDonald, Wiggins leaving permanently or on loan.

It''s looking better by the day

[quote user="CanaryJames"]Russell can not play RB. If we EVER get to the point where he is playing RB it''s a clear indication we didn''t do enough this summer.

Smith is a far more realistic choice as an emergency RB, but even then I''d rather have a genuine defender playing there.[/quote]Hence the question mark next to it.Cheers for clearing that up for me [Y]

Ideally we still need:

Forster

Right Back

Right winger (with a bit of pace)

Back up target man to cover for Holty.

I am not at all sure why we are spending money on this Taiwo bloke unless one or more of our midfielders are leaving. If any go would expect it to be OTJ and maybe Gill.

[quote user="Thunderbirds are go"]Looks good, although for some reason I still feel a bit nervous about the RB position[/quote]Don''t forget we also have Francomb. I won''t be suprised if he will be our first choice right back.

[quote user="Ole"][quote user="Thunderbirds are go"]Looks good, although for some reason I still feel a bit nervous about the RB position[/quote]

Don''t forget we also have Francomb. I won''t be suprised if he will be our first choice right back.
[/quote]

I would. I would be very surprised. Looks a decent prospect but nowhere near strong enough to start in the champ yet.

[quote user="knockout nick"]have we signed martin i thought it was just a loan[/quote]Became a perm transfer in January.As we''ve pretty much agreed a consensus that we need a gk, rb, rm and a striker who would people like in those positions?Keep it realistic[:P]

GK - Forster

RB - Don''t know. Brentford right back supposed to be very good.

RM. - Adomah/Green/Phillips/Bailey

CF - ??

For me the priorities are:

GK - Fraser Forster (Season Loan) or Basso.

CF - Nile Ranger (Season Loan) or similar.

Otherwise I''m not *that* concerned. I would like a wide right player and a left sided central player to challenge Lappin.

David Wright would be nice to have as a right-back with Nicky Bailey as a right midfielder and i would like us to splash a bit cash out on a quality championship striker.

as it stands the biggest question mark for me is still at centre back.   The first choice players (Ward & Whitbread) have dubious fitness records while askou and nelson are solid stoppers at league one level and good back up.

a couple of midfielders and a striker also needed for me

There is absolutely no way he is ready for Championship.  I thought he was suspect at League 1 level.  All about giving youngsters a chance, but not for a couple of seasons Georgy boy.  Send him out on loan to a League 1/2 club

[quote user="lordyfan"][quote user="Thunderbirds are go"]Looks good, although for some reason I still feel a bit nervous about the RB position[/quote]so do i. The question is, who''s available?[/quote]I hear Gary Doherty is looking for a club

I share the view that RB still has a question mark. Didn''t we get Martin from a team subsequently relegated? He was not even playing for them on a regular basis.

Martin or Spillane may come good, but we just don''t know. (Francomb has good prospects, but he too has no experience at this level.)

The other major concern is goalkeeper. Forster would cope, I think, but if he doesn''t come......

[quote user="Salopian"]I share the view that RB still has a question mark. Didn''t we get Martin from a team subsequently relegated? He was not even playing for them on a regular basis.

Martin or Spillane may come good, but we just don''t know. (Francomb has good prospects, but he too has no experience at this level.)

The other major concern is goalkeeper. Forster would cope, I think, but if he doesn''t come......[/quote]Martin was captain for Peterborough when they got promoted to Championship, and he was a regular for their team before he came to Norwich (he played 14 or 15 games for Peterborough this season). But yes (as I am obviously the only one who think Francomb can do a job), we need more cover at right back!