Sign in to follow this  
Row D Seat 7

McNally: Previous management team wanted L1 Consolidation

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/norwich/8717491.stm

Laughable. Gunn really set his expectations as high as to consolidate in L1. Glad we got shot of him when we did. What an utter disaster he was.

[quote user="kiwiNCFC"]Yeh saw this! This is awful if were true![/quote]He wouldn''t be telling the press about it if it wasn''t true!!Quite scarey nonetheless!

The other thing that is scary is that the previous board must have also been happy with that as they appointed said management team. Thank g*d for Bowkett and Mcnally!

Consolidation was surely never an option - more than one season in League 1 and attendances would have nose dived and we would have ended up in administration.

Thank God we got some brains in to sort the mess out.

[quote user="In Dubious Battle "]Reading that I feel like Norwich City had a near death experience! That is truly shocking, thank god for McNally & Lambert!
[/quote]What a terrible indikement on the Smiths regime..............they have to go imo.

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="In Dubious Battle "]Reading that I feel like Norwich City had a near death experience! That is truly shocking, thank god for McNally & Lambert![/quote]What a terrible indikement on the Smiths regime..............they have to go imo.[/quote]I have sympathy with your views, but feel the time for them to have stepped aside was upon relegation. At the moment with McNally & Lambert on board and the forward momentum we have I think it would be foolish to rock the boat too much.

Yes Singing Canary, an utter disaster. Gunn wasn''t the one who brought Holt in. Someone I know that used to work for the club, but left five or so years ago (but still has friends there) told me that Holt and Gill were bought in by a member of Gunn''s background team, or at least they put these players names forward.

It was also said (by my same source) that Gunn wanted Michael Bridges, but Ian Crook + others, didn''t think it would be a good signing, therefore they didn''t get him in.

So yes i stick by it and trust my source totally. Gunn was a disaster.

michael bridges is not a bad player.

so what you saying is good job gunny listened in regards to holt .

80 percent of the player who won that division were retained or purchased by gunn.

look the end of the day , i agree lambert is the main man but i wont slag off gunny as i feel he did do this club some good.

we did not have a team after loan ranger finshed with us ,gunn had a small budget to work with ,

if everyone think gunns signings were poor then maybe ..just maybe give the bloke some credit for the players he brought in who did cut the mustard and won us the title .nelson,askou,holt,

I know this debate has been had time and time again, but for your Holt/Askou/Nelson we also had Maric/Theo/Waley/Tudor-Jones/Gill (not bad but not good enough).

That''s 5-3 in poor players. Actually, I don''t think 80% of the team that won us the league was Gunn''s players. I think you''re miles out on that one. If we''re talking BG players who won us the league: Holt/Nelson - Askou to a point.

gunny really wanted martin to play and to keep hold of wes .

i don''t think for one minute Roeder would have given martin another chance.

lambert only brought a few players with and generally went with the squad we had before he came in.

i have to admit gunny was not cut out for tactics ,but saying that i feel his heart was in the right place and put together a squad that could get us out of this division .

lambert is a good manager but it was the players on the pitch who won us promotion .

[quote user="morty"][quote user="kiwiNCFC"]Yeh saw this! This is awful if were true![/quote]He wouldn''t be telling the press about it if it wasn''t true!!Quite scarey nonetheless![/quote]I spoke to this so called terrible man a couple of weeks ago and I can

tell you that Gunn was not hoping for League One consolidation.

This might be a shock to some of you but just because McNally says it in the press it doesn''t mean he''s telling the truth.

It might have been his opinion that Gunn was leading Norwich no further than  L1 consolidation but that was NEVER Gunn''s aim.

Re £££ I would say spending £500K on a striker who scored 30 goals this season was not blowing your money.

Brighton plus one other offered Holt more money to join them - It was

Gunn who took the time to make sure Holt signed for us not elsewhere.It didn''t work out for Gunn as a manager which is very disappointing to him and most of us (I say most as there are some pathetic people on here who are well out of line about Gunn and Delia) but he''s a genuine honest guy who has served Norwich and Norfolk as a whole very well. 

i was being sarcastic regarding holt .gunny was a top bloke , and a fans favorite whilst a player .its sad so many people have turned on him .

[quote user="The Chirp"][quote user="morty"][quote user="kiwiNCFC"]Yeh saw this! This is awful if were true![/quote]

He wouldn''t be telling the press about it if it wasn''t true!!

Quite scarey nonetheless!
[/quote]

I spoke to this so called terrible man a couple of weeks ago and I can tell you that Gunn was not hoping for League One consolidation.

This might be a shock to some of you but just because McNally says it in the press it doesn''t mean he''s telling the truth.

It might have been his opinion that Gunn was leading Norwich no further than  L1 consolidation but that was NEVER Gunn''s aim.

Re £££ I would say spending £500K on a striker who scored 30 goals this season was not blowing your money.

Brighton plus one other offered Holt more money to join them - It was Gunn who took the time to make sure Holt signed for us not elsewhere.

It didn''t work out for Gunn as a manager which is very disappointing to him and most of us (I say most as there are some pathetic people on here who are well out of line about Gunn and Delia) but he''s a genuine honest guy who has served Norwich and Norfolk as a whole very well. 

[/quote]

He''s just not a very good football manager.....And Delia and the her previous cohorts are just not very good judges of proposed football managers.....Good judges of cheap options....though.

[quote user="The Chirp"][quote user="morty"][quote user="kiwiNCFC"]Yeh saw this! This is awful if were true![/quote]

He wouldn''t be telling the press about it if it wasn''t true!!

Quite scarey nonetheless!
[/quote]

I spoke to this so called terrible man a couple of weeks ago and I can tell you that Gunn was not hoping for League One consolidation.

Brighton plus one other offered Holt more money to join them - It was Gunn who took the time to make sure Holt signed for us not elsewhere.

It didn''t work out for Gunn as a manager which is very disappointing to him and most of us (I say most as there are some pathetic people on here who are well out of line about Gunn and Delia) but he''s a genuine honest guy who has served Norwich and Norfolk as a whole very well. 

[/quote]So you''re calling McNally a liar then, can you afford it?

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"]Yes Singing Canary, an utter disaster. Gunn wasn''t the one who brought Holt in. Someone I know that used to work for the club, but left five or so years ago (but still has friends there) told me that Holt and Gill were bought in by a member of Gunn''s background team, or at least they put these players names forward. It was also said (by my same source) that Gunn wanted Michael Bridges, but Ian Crook + others, didn''t think it would be a good signing, therefore they didn''t get him in. So yes i stick by it and trust my source totally. Gunn was a disaster.[/quote]

I also posted this ages ago that gunn didnt go for holt or nelson, but both were strongly recommended to him by others..And like you i heard this through a club source who i have relied on in the past..

And as for Askou,gunn didnt head hunt him,Askou put feelers out and came here...

The one thing i will say in gunns favour,he was quick to bring home both spillane and martin..Both imo will be a major hit for us next season,and both learning a lot in a short time..Spillane will get int cap within 2 years..Going to bump this up when it happens :)

I''ve defended Gunny in the past, but League One consolidation? Ay carumba.

I don''t remember him preaching about consolidation at the start of last season. Everything seemd to be geared towards getting straight back up. Certainly the players he brought in seemed to point towards this.

Alas, what a transformation in twelve months.

Of course BG will tell you now that he wasn''t going to settle for L1 consolidation. Why would he tell you that after the team had just won promotion? Really, think about it!!

Bg also sat on the Sky Sports panel and told the panel, presenter and viewers that he would have got Norwich promoted. How can he sit there and say that?

I know a Norwich player personally, and his exact words to me were simply "I don''t know why he took the job on. We were surprised".

because the players on the pitch clearly showed they were the best in the division .

hence winning it .

we had a handful of players left after last season ,one hell of a job rebuilding the mess that was left .

does it matter what player was recommended to gunny..?

the end of the day he made the final decision and hotly was brought in .

so clearly he made some good decisions as well as poor ones .

plus gunny really stuck his neck out to keep wes .people forget that.

yes the keeper was shocking, but most managers make mistakes but i would think crook had something to do with that knowing the Aussie league.

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="The Chirp"][quote user="morty"][quote user="kiwiNCFC"]Yeh saw this! This is awful if were true![/quote]He wouldn''t be telling the press about it if it wasn''t true!!Quite scarey nonetheless![/quote]I spoke to this so called terrible man a couple of weeks ago and I can tell you that Gunn was not hoping for League One consolidation. This might be a shock to some of you but just because McNally says it in the press it doesn''t mean he''s telling the truth. It might have been his opinion that Gunn was leading Norwich no further than  L1 consolidation but that was NEVER Gunn''s aim. Re £££ I would say spending £500K on a striker who scored 30 goals this season was not blowing your money. Brighton plus one other offered Holt more money to join them - It was Gunn who took the time to make sure Holt signed for us not elsewhere.It didn''t work out for Gunn as a manager which is very disappointing to him and most of us (I say most as there are some pathetic people on here who are well out of line about Gunn and Delia) but he''s a genuine honest guy who has served Norwich and Norfolk as a whole very well. 

[/quote]So you''re calling McNally a liar then, can you afford it?[/quote]haha - Very good Wiz!

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"]Of course BG will tell you now that he wasn''t going to settle for L1 consolidation. Why would he tell you that after the team had just won promotion? Really, think about it!!

[/quote]

I was under the impression he was saying we could get promoted before the whole Colchester thing.

[quote user="Barclaybred"]The one thing i will say in gunns favour,he was quick to bring home both spillane and martin.....[/quote]And there was me thinking that their loan deals at Luton had expired. You learn something new on this board every day. [:S]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Barclaybred"]The one thing i will say in gunns favour,he was quick to bring home both spillane and martin.....[/quote]And there was me thinking that their loan deals at Luton had expired. You learn something new on this board every day. [:S][/quote]

But loans deals can be extended (and there was me thinking we had a chance to get forster again..bujt damn his loan has expired)  :)