Sign in to follow this  
norfolkbroadslim

Steven Smith has signed!!!!!!!!!!!

We''ve got him on a bosman from rangers...

You''ve gotta feel sorry for Rose, but lets be honest he didnt knock down walls did he?

Plus, its only cover for Drury anyway. Or am I wrong?

Can''t say i know much about him but looks a good signing.

Excellent news.

Bit of an unknown quantity. But appears to play for Rangers on a regular basis so must be half descent and anyone who has played in the champions league must have something about them. Good so see we have made 3 signings already (probably will be four today or tomorrow) and were only into the start of june

Much like most of us on here, I don''t know of this bloke from Adam.  However, on the website.. :"He forced his way into regular first team contention at Ibrox and in

2005-06 won the club''s Young Player of the Year award."Adam Drury is going to have his work cut out to get into the team, probably.

Seems like a good signing on a free transfer.

Another player with the same surname as a player we already have, haha.

A player who has worked his way into the first team at Rangers (yes, I know, it''s not a proper team), won''t be happy sitting on the bench waiting for Drury to pick up a knock.

I''m sure he will have his critics as people will have not heard of him.

But his pedigree is good, if not, with all those injuries, his recent career. But a Bosman, so, if it doesn''t work out, then the loss is minimal, however, if it does, and he becomes a superstar and moves on for several million quid, then an inspired signing!

Neither scenario likely, probably something in the middle, but, never-the-less, like the ''type'' of player we are signing at moment-all with something to prove, also good that cover and competition for Drury is not Lappin!

Signals the end for Wiggins too, I would guess.

I read that Rangers did try to retain him with an offer of a one year contract, but he rejected it.

Fans on 606 have also speaken highly of him, in that if it hadn''t of been for his injuries

he could of very well as good as Alan Hutton.Should be rather good.

very good signing, my uncle is a gers fan and said he was a average player but has always showed promise before he went through a bit of an injury spell. I expect will push drury all the way.

[quote user="spencer 1970"] its only cover for Drury anyway. [/quote]

Interesting, may be that it is Drury who will be cover for him though. I really rate Drury but he is not getting any younger and he has had his share of injuries so maybe this is a signing with an eye to the future,

[quote user="Big Bad John at the top of League One"]I read that Rangers did try to retain him with an offer of a one year contract, but he rejected it.

Fans on 606 have also spoken highly of him, in that if it hadn''t of been for his injuries

he could of very well as good as Alan Hutton.Should be rather good.[/quote]

from my Rangers pal...

...he was having a great run of form years then got injured for nearly two years but he played quite a lot of games last season. he can give you goals and can play in left midfield too...

...so maybe its lappin that could have his place up for grabs too?

i just posted on the other S.Smith thread (how accommodating of me)

from my rangers pal…

he was having a great run of form years then got injured for nearly two years but he played quite a lot of games last season. he can give you goals and can play in left midfield too

Some maybe lappin should be worried?

This is a very good signing as long as he''s over his injuries. I was in Glasgow last week when his name was first mentioned in connection with us so did a bit of asking around and the feedback was all positive.

[quote user="spencer 1970"]i just posted on the other S.Smith thread (how accommodating of me) [/quote]

Indeed but norfolkbroadslim beat you to it by a minute...

Basically whoever has the best pre-season will start the first league game in August. Drury at his age and with his recent record with injuries would have been lucky to play 30 games next season so it was important we got in a player who was more than just cover for Drury.

Good signing. We should all know by now that Lambert picks players on how well they are playing and reputations and past form count for nothing so it''s up the Drury to keep him out of the team and for Smith to force his way in.

As a Rangers season ticket holder, I feel more qualified to speak of him than most.

I''m very pleased at this signing. As others have intimated, he was a tremendous prospect the season he won young player of the year but unfortunately he suffered a horrendous injury which kept him out for well over a year. When at his pomp, Smith up the left side and Hutton on the right was just terrific to watch. He very easily settled into the left-back position that was vacated when Artur Numan retired, which says a lot about him back then because Numan was a class act.

Since then, he has been unfortunate that the consistently good form of Sasa Papac has kept him out of the team but whenever he came in, he always performed very solidly and I recall one old firm game in particular when he played very well indeed and made a few crunching tackles which got the fans roaring.

Contrary to what some naysayers have suggested, I wouldn''t say he was injury prone, simply that he has had one long term injury but other than that, he has been average in terms of injuries. Nothing to worry about in that department as far as I know.

The Rangers financial situation is such that we couldn''t really afford to keep him otherwise he''d have been 2nd choice left-back behind Papac.

Recent history suggests that Rangers ''rejects'' have done rather well in the Championship - Chris Burke, Charlie Adam, Gavin Rae, Ross McCormack - so there''s no reason Stevie Smith (note STEVIE Smith, not STEVE Smith) can''t be another success.

OTBC

P.S. One poster suggested that Rangers are ''not a proper team''. I think the run to the UEFA Cup final of a couple of years ago would suggest that they''re not that bad really...

[quote user="Mustachio Furioso"]

[quote user="spencer 1970"]i just posted on the other S.Smith thread (how accommodating of me) [/quote]

[/quote]

[quote user="Mustachio Furioso"]

[/quote][Y]I''m very pleased for you both....now back to the stevie smith debate.

Just saw this on the BBC site so copied and pasted just in case some of you haven''t see it yet.

Norwich City swoop for Rangers'' Steven Smith

Steven Smith

Smith will challenge Adam Drury for the left-back position

Norwich City have signed left-back Steven Smith on a two-year contract after he was released by Rangers.

The 24-year-old will be free to join the Canaries on 1 July after making 74 appearances for the Scottish club.

"He''s come from a massive club in Rangers and he''ll fit in well here. I''m looking forward to him joining us," said manager Paul Lambert.

"He''s a left-back with a terrific engine and he''ll be part of a squad that will hopefully do well."

The Scot has played twice in the Champions League and five times in the Uefa Cup for Rangers.

Smith fought back from a groin problem that sidelined him for 16 months in 2006 to feature regularly in the Scottish Premier League title-winning side of 2009.

He becomes former Celtic midfielder Lambert''s third close season signing after midfielder Andrew Crofts and defender Elliott Ward.