Sign in to follow this  
Squire

Calamity James

"Neither of them are genuinely world class"

You''d never see either of them play for Slovenia, New Zealand or the likes...

I agree Hart has the potential to be the best but would have loved to see Green number 1 this campaign.

It will be matter of time until James balls up and we are knocked out.

If the numbers 1-11 in the squad turn out to be our exact starting line-up I would be surprised. Just because he has the numero uno shirt doesnt mean James is guaranteed to start, although I guess it now looks likely.For me Green is the safe choice (Consistently good). James is the risk (World class at times, shocking at others). Hart is the future.

David James is a world class keeper and has cut out many of his errors over the past couple of seasons, David James is up there as the best keeper in the world when mistakes aren''t made and this season I don''t think he has made too many, no more than Green or Hart anyway although Hart has been really exceptional at Birmingham.I think Robert Green is a very good keeper but if we''re to win the world cup we''re going to need a truly brilliant keeper and James without the mistakes is just that.

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]David James is a world class keeper and has cut out many of his errors over the past couple of seasons, David James is up there as the best keeper in the world when mistakes aren''t made and this season I don''t think he has made too many, no more than Green or Hart anyway although Hart has been really exceptional at Birmingham.I think Robert Green is a very good keeper but if we''re to win the world cup we''re going to need a truly brilliant keeper and James without the mistakes is just that.

[/quote]Yeah id go along with that. As much as I like Green his best isnt as good as James''s best. I was at the FA cup final and James was quality that day, and thats the sort of performance we are gonna need if we stand a chance of winning the whole thing.

[quote user="Trent Canary"][quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]David James is a world class keeper and has cut out many of his errors over the past couple of seasons, David James is up there as the best keeper in the world when mistakes aren''t made and this season I don''t think he has made too many, no more than Green or Hart anyway although Hart has been really exceptional at Birmingham.I think Robert Green is a very good keeper but if we''re to win the world cup we''re going to need a truly brilliant keeper and James without the mistakes is just that.

[/quote]Yeah id go along with that. As much as I like Green his best isnt as good as James''s best. I was at the FA cup final and James was quality that day, and thats the sort of performance we are gonna need if we stand a chance of winning the whole thing.[/quote]No but green isn''t as bad as James at his worst!!!

Joe Hart is David James without the mistakes. Capello won''t play him though, his negative Italian instincts are coming through.

If Capello had managed Brazil in ''58 and ''62 he wouldn''t have played Pele because he was too young.

Sometimes you have to take a risk, and that means playing Hart in goal and taking the twenty-two year old Adam Johnson.

Pele had two World Cups to his name at Johnson''s age.

[quote user="Canaries Utd"][quote user="Trent Canary"][quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]David James is a world class keeper and has cut out many of his errors over the past couple of seasons, David James is up there as the best keeper in the world when mistakes aren''t made and this season I don''t think he has made too many, no more than Green or Hart anyway although Hart has been really exceptional at Birmingham.I think Robert Green is a very good keeper but if we''re to win the world cup we''re going to need a truly brilliant keeper and James without the mistakes is just that.

[/quote]Yeah id go along with that. As much as I like Green his best isnt as good as James''s best. I was at the FA cup final and James was quality that day, and thats the sort of performance we are gonna need if we stand a chance of winning the whole thing.[/quote]No but green isn''t as bad as James at his worst!!![/quote]In which case it doesnt matter, as either way we wont win. I just cant see Green being a part of a world cup winning side, and thats surely the aim.Although to be honest theres not much in it with all three; and the very fact that no one seems to know who our number 1 is cant be a good thing.

I''m a fan of all 3 ''keepers so I''m happy to see any of them in goal.

For all people say about David James in a negative way there is a reason why he has been playing top flight football for the best part of 20 years.

Although how Fabio picks his players seems a little up for debate, it''s become fairly obvious from the World Cup squad selection that what he has said about players playing regularly/playing well doesn''t necessarily have all that much influence on his decisions.

One thing that scares me is how many ancient players he was trying to get into the England squad!

Scholes - come on, he was good but not better than Lampard or Gerrard anymore.

And whoever says that James is world class needs only to look at the first half of the match against Japan. He could have saved that and had it had been Green or Hart who have faster reflexes then it would not have gone in.

As much as James has been a good shot stopper in the past he still struggles to command anything in the air and still approaches crosses with his windmil-flailing arms technique which scares the b-jesus out of his own defenders let alone the opposition strikers. I really don''t think the back four are as settled with him as say Green who also appears to communicate better with them.

The other surprise for me was to see Upson given the nod over Dawson who I think has been playing well for a couple of seasons now and deserved a chance. Now we have three centre backs who are arguably out of form or recovering from injury. Is that a good idea?

Capeelo said some about a year  ago that he knew who his world Cup keeper was, and I always assumed it to be James. Much as I love Greeno, he simply doesn''t have the physical presence that James has, and, while he''s an exceptional shot stopper he is highly suspect on crosses. Yes James makes some howlers, but he also stops the unstoppable.

[quote user="Trent Canary"][quote user="Canaries Utd"][quote user="Trent Canary"][quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]David James is a world class keeper and has cut out many of his errors over the past couple of seasons, David James is up there as the best keeper in the world when mistakes aren''t made and this season I don''t think he has made too many, no more than Green or Hart anyway although Hart has been really exceptional at Birmingham.I think Robert Green is a very good keeper but if we''re to win the world cup we''re going to need a truly brilliant keeper and James without the mistakes is just that.

[/quote]Yeah id go along with that. As much as I like Green his best isnt as good as James''s best. I was at the FA cup final and James was quality that day, and thats the sort of performance we are gonna need if we stand a chance of winning the whole thing.[/quote]No but green isn''t as bad as James at his worst!!![/quote]In which case it doesnt matter, as either way we wont win. I just cant see Green being a part of a world cup winning side, and thats surely the aim.Although to be honest theres not much in it with all three; and the very fact that no one seems to know who our number 1 is cant be a good thing.[/quote]I will never support James as an indivdual, he is prone to calamities (as per post title), he publically slagged off the England set up and fans 6 years ago, only to appologise and say he was not himself.I will not be suprised if he makes a f**k up of all f**k ups in this World Cup, hopefully it wont cost England a place furthering the countries ambition and we can say goodbye to this clown forever.Yep, i guess i''m not a fan of Mr James.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]Green played all through the quallys etc, thats like us playing forster up until the FA cup final and then playing rudd instead![/quote]It isn''t though, James is Englands best keeper so he should play, is Rudd better than Forster?

Green is a better all-round keeper and is far better in the air than James.

The other thing to consider is consistancy. James is now 40 and he has just had probably two of the most consistant seasons he has ever had, mayber because in a way he is playing on borowed time in the sense that he is lucky he didn''t go the same way Carson did and that he hasn''t been forced to retire yet.

Green for me has much more to prove in goal and so in a way is much more focused for it. This will be James'' last tournament I should think and the problem with him has been his focus.

He has not had the best of years at Pompey with a few howlers but you just never know with James what version is going to turn up. You know with Green 100%.

However if I was really honest I think Hart should have been given more of an oppertunity. I didn''t see the point of playing James in either friendly really.

[quote user="First Jedi"]"Neither of them are genuinely world class"

You''d never see either of them play for Slovenia, New Zealand or the likes...[/quote]Good point. They are both English.

[quote user="Big Bad John"][quote user="First Jedi"]"Neither of them are genuinely world class"

You''d never see either of them play for Slovenia, New Zealand or the likes...[/quote]Good point. They are both English.[/quote]

Haha brilliant John!! I actually lol''ed...

On topic, Much as I love Greeno and think Hart shows a lot of promise, James has been in phenomenal form this season. I used to think the guy was a tw*t but saw an interview with him the other day and it really changed my perception of the guy. Seems like a nice bloke to be honest, and it''s his last chance at glory so he deserves a shot.

[quote user="kick it off"][quote user="Big Bad John"][quote user="First Jedi"]"Neither of them are genuinely world class" You''d never see either of them play for Slovenia, New Zealand or the likes...[/quote]

Good point. They are both English.
[/quote] Haha brilliant John!! I actually lol''ed... On topic, Much as I love Greeno and think Hart shows a lot of promise, James has been in phenomenal form this season. I used to think the guy was a tw*t but saw an interview with him the other day and it really changed my perception of the guy. Seems like a nice bloke to be honest, and it''s his last chance at glory so he deserves a shot.[/quote]#

No he hasn''t been in phenominal form this season!!!

I hate the media in this country for building up players to be hero''s only to knock them down like skittles. James has only looked good because his flaps havn''t cost Portsmouth anything. He is simlpy not a top 6 premiership goal keeper where as I think Hart and Green are. Hence the reason Arsenal are linked with Green and Man City are perhaps realising its not a good idea to let Hart go.

Gerrard has supposedly had a great season - my arse has he, its probably been his worse. Not his fault mind you as he has been played out of position as a striker. When will people realise he is a great central midfielder and not a winger or a floating player or a second striker. His best England performances were when he played alongside Scholes and sat back and played the range of passes he can play and then got onto balls on the edge of the box to strike.

Green technically isnt as good as James, but he''s far more dependable. James also struggles to organise his wall properly,and takes up bad positions and at this level has cost us before when freekicks are given against us, which they utlimately will be given against us with centre backs like Terry and Rio, not to mention the cockups he''ll make. James hasnt performed well in many of the games i''ve seen for England over the last four years, so why should he be englands no 1?. Let''s just hope we aren''t sitting here once again after a major tournament going why did we pick him when we knew he''d do something stupid.

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]

1GKPaul Robinson15 October 1979 (aged 26)21England Tottenham Hotspur

13GKDavid James1 August 1970 (aged 35)34England Manchester City

[/quote]

I am surprised Paul Robinson was not considered. Our only goalkeeper with world cup experience. He has done well for Blackburn this season and I think he was unfairly criticised for a moment of genuine misfortune against Croatia. I think if he had played instead of Scott Carson at Wembley we would have scraped into Euro 2008. I don''t think there is any difference between Robinson and the other keepers but he played really well at the last world cup and got 4 clean sheets in 5 games. That is a fine record by anybody''s standards and surely experience can only be a positive thing.

For me Robert Green is the safe option, he might not pull a geuinely world class save but he is competent and is unlikely to make major mistakes. James as other shave said can make an absolute corker of a save but under pressure some of the old frailties might return. Joe Hart for me is the most complete of all the keepers but playing him is a massive risk given that he only has a handful of caps. I wouldn''t want another Scott Carson situation.