Sign in to follow this  
CanaryJames

Competition for Wes...

It''s possible to argue that we currently lack a direct replacement for Hoolahan - as in a goalscoring/goal-making attacking midfielder who can add a bit of spark to matches.

Andy Dorman (St. Mirren) is available on a free transfer. Very, very good player who won''t be on gargantuan wages at his current club.

Scored 12 times last season & we could definitely do alot worse than look at him...

Macnamee and Hughes are not exact substitutes, but both have played the "behind the front two" role. Do we need an expensive bench warmer?

"Macnamee and Hughes are not exact substitutes, but both have played the "behind the front two" role. Do we need an expensive bench warmer? "

Yes. Whenever we didn''t have Wes, we pretty much were a shadow of the team we were with him.

McNamee is a winger and not really suited to the central role, and Hughes is a million miles from Wes in terms of the skills Wes brings to the hole-role - much as I rate Hughes as a straight central midfielder, he is no hole-role player!

Moreover, while this chap is a native of the hole-role, from his description he is versatile and therefore deployable elsewhere.

However one player that can play in that role is Chris Martin.

Did it a couple of times last season and was arguably better in some ways than Hoolahan in that role in that he tackles and challenges more. Maybe not as twisty-turny as Hoolahan but very capable of picking out passes etc.

[quote user="Salopian"]Macnamee and Hughes are not exact substitutes, but both have played the "behind the front two" role. Do we need an expensive bench warmer?[/quote]

macnamee is carp!

Wes Hoolahan is a unique player and it is he who makes the diamond work, to get somebody in who could play in the free role and make it work would cost a small fortune, so rather than like for like cover/competition we need to be looking at bringing in a right sided player with a bit of pace/trickery and another striker to compete with Holt and Martin.

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]Wes Hoolahan is a unique player and it is he who makes the diamond work, to get somebody in who could play in the free role and make it work would cost a small fortune, so rather than like for like cover/competition we need to be looking at bringing in a right sided player with a bit of pace/trickery and another striker to compete with Holt and Martin.

[/quote]Complete agree. The system suits Wes perfectly and he makes it tick very well. When we tried to put people like Oli Johnson in that role at Leyton Orient (something I thought would work I will admit) it simply didn''t work and just looked very contrived. In reality I would prefer us to buy players who suit a simple 4-4-2 which includes wingers so that we have a genuine plan B for when Wes is injured or being negated like he was by Abdou at Millwall.

He would be a good signing is we are to play the diamond next season, lambert may try the 4-4-2 and wes may not have a chance at the tip of the diamond.

Surely having a genuine replacement (of similar quality in my eyes) on a free transfer & fairly reasonable wages would make perfect sense?

I still think we need at least 1 (preferably 2) wingers, but by getting someone like Dorman in, it''d show serious ambition for the season. I''d say Hoolahan''s role is perhaps the 1 position where we don''t have genuine cover, and it''s definitely needed for me.

I''d like another defender (Wright/Keogh/Broadfoot), but if we got Dorman, a couple of wingers and a striker, as well as Fraser, we''d be very well set.

[quote user="CanaryJames"]Surely having a genuine replacement (of similar quality in my eyes) on a free transfer & fairly reasonable wages would make perfect sense?

I still think we need at least 1 (preferably 2) wingers, but by getting someone like Dorman in, it''d show serious ambition for the season. I''d say Hoolahan''s role is perhaps the 1 position where we don''t have genuine cover, and it''s definitely needed for me.

I''d like another defender (Wright/Keogh/Broadfoot), but if we got Dorman, a couple of wingers and a striker, as well as Fraser, we''d be very well set.[/quote]Dorman is more of a conventional midfield player who likes to get forward rather than a Hoolahan type player who thrives in the free role.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

[quote user="Salopian"]Macnamee and Hughes are not exact substitutes, but both have played the "behind the front two" role. Do we need an expensive bench warmer?[/quote]

macnamee is carp!

[/quote]rubbish goldfish?