Sign in to follow this  
norfolkbroadslim

Nick Bailey on his way -

"Skysports.com understands Norwich and Southampton have made moves to sign Charlton''s Nicky Bailey."Sorry, but I dont see how that makes him ''On his way''..

[quote user="Salahuddin"]Another midfielder.....[/quote]

My thoughts exactly....

Although I rate Bailey quite highly. Rusty is surely off if there is anything to this one isn''t he?

Erm not exactly saying he''s "on his way" is it? Is saying we''ve made a bid as have Southampton. Also saying other clubs interested at least one of which (West Brom) we would struggle to compete with. Saints will probably be able to offer him more money than us to be honest.

This story smacks of Charlton trying to start a bidding war as none of our other transfers so far have been leaked in the press ahead of the player signing (unless Taiwo signs).

If we get him will be a very good signing.

[quote user="Trent Canary"]"Skysports.com understands Norwich and Southampton have made moves to sign Charlton''s Nicky Bailey."

Sorry, but I dont see how that makes him ''On his way''..
[/quote]

I have amended the title for you [:)]

An attacking midfielder so not Russell''s direct replacement but the fact we''ve already brought in 2 midfielders and have been linked with Bailey & Taiwo as well does suggest Russell is off.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

[quote user="Trent Canary"]"Skysports.com understands Norwich and Southampton have made moves to sign Charlton''s Nicky Bailey."Sorry, but I dont see how that makes him ''On his way''..[/quote]

[/quote][:)]Didnt wanna be all forum police, but a lot of people read these threads without actually clicking on the link to check!Ill add to an earlier point, all of our signings thus far (With the potential exception of Taiwo) have not been on any of these sites. Probably an agent stirring things up. He would be a great signing mind you!

Would be an awesome signing, been hoping we would sign him since Charlton lost in the playoffs. You would think he would choose us ahead of southampton as we are in a higher league although I think he worked with Pardew at Charlton so maybe that may make him want to go to southampton

[quote user="Trent Canary"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

[quote user="Trent Canary"]"Skysports.com understands Norwich and Southampton have made moves to sign Charlton''s Nicky Bailey."

[/quote]

[/quote]

[:)]

Didnt wanna be all forum police, but a lot of people read these threads without actually clicking on the link to check!

Ill add to an earlier point, all of our signings thus far (With the potential exception of Taiwo) have not been on any of these sites. Probably an agent stirring things up. He would be a great signing mind you!

[/quote]WOULD BE A GREAT SIGNING...opps soz about shouting....a winger and another striker and that would be us done i would think

I think this is defenitely signalling the end of Tudor-Jones and Gill more than anything else. That would leave us with Crofts, Hughes, Fox and Smith as the midfield players.

I may be wrong but I think Taiwo can play right wing which may be one of the reasons we may be in for him. And Baily can play left if needs be.

For me though this signals more of an intent to play the diamond formation again and I am not entirely sure how I feel about that because although it gets the best out of Hoolahan, it can leave us weak in width and allow teams to throw their full backs forward to outnumber our own full backs.

We shall see though. Perhaps Lambert thinks Smith is good but still needs more time to become a regular champ player and young Adeyemi looks like he will be going out on loan to get some experience.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Didnt wanna be all forum police, but a lot of people read these threads without actually clicking on the link to check!

Ill add to an earlier point, all of our signings thus far (With the potential exception of Taiwo) have not been on any of these sites. Probably an agent stirring things up. He would be a great signing mind you!

[/quote]

I agree he would be a good signing, along with Forster or another quality keeper and a quality striker and we would be there or there abouts in terms of having a competitivie squad.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I do think we are after him (based on something i was told by someone a while back which is consistent with this) but the fact that the bids have been made public like this suggests to me they (probably Charlton) are trying to provoke other bids for him.

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="Trent Canary"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

[quote user="Trent Canary"]"Skysports.com understands Norwich and Southampton have made moves to sign Charlton''s Nicky Bailey."Sorry, but I dont see how that makes him ''On his way''..[/quote]

[/quote][:)]Didnt wanna be all forum police, but a lot of people read these threads without actually clicking on the link to check!Ill add to an earlier point, all of our signings thus far (With the potential exception of Taiwo) have not been on any of these sites. Probably an agent stirring things up. He would be a great signing mind you![/quote]

I do think we are after him (based on something i was told by someone a while back which is consistent with this) but the fact that the bids have been made public like this suggests to me they (probably Charlton) are trying to provoke other bids for him.

[/quote]Sounds about right. I dont we will end up being the only Championship team after him. Id be very surprised to see him in a Norwich shirt, but fingers crossed!

[quote user="Trent Canary"][quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="Trent Canary"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Sounds about right. I dont we will end up being the only Championship team after him. Id be very surprised to see him in a Norwich shirt, but fingers crossed!
[/quote]

I think Middlesborough may also come in for him. Personally i don''t regard a move to Middlesbrough as being better than a move to us but then i''m biased and the fact is they will probably be able to offer him more money. Balanced against that however moving your whole family to Middlesborugh is a major upheaval and given he was at Southend previously I would assume he lives somewhere in the vicinity of London/Essex.

Why are people moaning about the amount of midfielders we''re signing. Towards the end of the season you could clearly see how poor our midfield was, and the lack of creativity in it. Only Hoolahan i would say is good enough to start in midfield next season for us. Lappin isn''t good enough going forward, Russell is too slow, clumsy, and never passes forward, and Smith is still too inconsistent.

Moving to Middlesbrough would certainly be a backward step.  Boro are on a downward spiral and in a year or two may end up where we were this season.  Lots of people up here not happy with the way things are at Boro atm.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]I cannot agree that Smith is inconsistent. For a very young player his consistency is outstanding.[/quote]Some games he''s outstanding, others the game by passes him.

Now THIS would be a cut above our current type of signing or those others players we are linked with - Bailey is class and would easily negate the loss of Russell, the signing of Fox or the possible acquisition of the really dodgy Taiwo.

Soton would be able to offer more cash but you''d have to hope he''d be keen to get back to Championship football. West Brom and the prem may be a step up too far, so if we can meet Charlton''s asking price (big if), it may not be so outlandish.

All round, the summer so far makes me think Lambert simply doesn''t think we have a midfield able to cope and it needs root and branch reform, even allowing for the numbers of midfielders we already have.

I personally think football matches are won in the midfield. Being able to create a chance, win the ball, get up and score a goal aswell. In midfield you have all 3 jobs. Attack, create, defend. Midfield is the key part of a successful team, and I''m glad we''re looking to strengthen that up. Bailey would be a class signing. [:)]

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="Trent Canary"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Jim, I think you have got this right.  I suspect we are negotiating over price and Charlton are drumming up further interest as they aren''t able to engineer the money they want so far.  Hopefully losing the play-offs will not have blown his mind, that''s my only reservation.

Yes please. Looks like a top player and with a Lambert coaching team behind him I think he''s going to be more than capable of producing at Championship level.

Bailey is shit, I have mates who are Charlton season tickets holders who can''t stand him, when I was in with the Charlton fans they were all saying the same thing, so no he is not class.

Also he''s ginger