Sign in to follow this  
TheNewBoy

The First XI So Far?

Based on the players which look like playing for us next season, with Rusty left out on the basis that this is looking increasingly unlikely, is this perhaps an accurate representation of how our team could look assuming no additional signings?

Rudd

Martin    Ward     Whitbread   Drury/Smith

Crofts

K. Smith                      Fox

Hoolahan

Holt             C.  Martin 

For me this just emphasises how much we need a right back for next season, for me R. Martin is just not good enough for the Championship. Likewise Spillane, I would like to see Spillane go on loan to League One for a year - that seems to be the natural next step for his development.

I would much rather see Forster for another year, although Rudd would probably ''do''. We desperately need another quality striker, either a very pacey man or another big man to challenge and cover for Holt.

If Russell signed on for the year, I would swap out K.Smith for him. Our left side looks stronger on paper than our right side, that just doesn''t look too good for me. If we had a right back who could defend like Russell Martin and attack like Jon Otsemober, I would be a lot happier.

Goalkeeper, Right Back, Striker and hopefully Daryl Russell - Done. Three new players and one new contract.                             

[quote user="Big Slob"]Severe lack of pace in midfield/defence/upfront
[/quote]

Which would be solved by Daryl Russell signing a new deal and playing on that right side and a new pacy striker? I would like to see Daryl Russell return to an attacking role, where we know he can score goals... We do also have Oli Johnson to come off the bench, I am convinced that he is being groomed for that role behind the forwards to provide cover for Hoolohan....

[quote user="Big Slob"]Would prefer more of a wide man/winger to be honest such as Adomah/Green or Philips
[/quote]

What and go 4-4-2? 

A winger wouldn''t work in a diamond, although I agree that we need a right winger if we are intending to switch between a 4-4-2 and a diamond..... McNamee is a left winger, not a right winger, we certainly do need something similar on the right. Adomah would fit that bill.

I rate Michael Spillane and wouldn''t be at all surprised to see him as first choice right back. I''d still like to see a pacey right winger/midfielder and a couple of forwards to back up the Horse and Chrissy Martin. Leroy Lita is available having ben released by ''Boro although whether his wages expectation would fit is debatable. Could he do a job for us?

I''d certainly like Green or Adomah, maybe even both if we could.

But I don''t know if Green would leave this season after being promoted. He was apprently going to give football up last year and then everything sort of fell into place for him, and by the sounds of it is very happy (and thankful) where he is.

Adomah is on a free however and I''d hope we try and get him in.

We are desperate for someone with a bit of pace.

I think Spillane is good enough cover at right back, I think he was just showing what he had when he got injured, he has a nice turn of pace too. Not sure another year of loan would be good for him at this point. Its either he stays and pushes for a place or he isn''t good enough.

Personaly I think he is plenty good enough.