Sign in to follow this  
I am a Banana

First Few Games next Season.

Would you prefer us to play 3 lower quality teams (going to be fighting for relegation), or 3 high quality team (pushing for promo?)

I personally think that we would be better to play weaker teams to build up confidence, and then take this into games vs the big boys!

On the other hand we could be better to play the better teams 1st see what we get from them and then have a really good run in mid season?!

''discuss''

exactly

the poor old paupers were fired up believeing it would all be over by Xmas

would you have put Leicester that high, Middlesboro that bad or even us to walk the League so we''ll play ''em as they come

Don''t matter who we get. It''s cliched but anyone can beat anybody on their day in this league. As long as we don''t have a situation like in 2005/6 where we had 3 home games in a row to start the season, anything is fine by me.

Too early to say whos gonna be up there, nobody seems to be signing anyone apart from us. Whoever we play, i would like to start the season with 2 of the 3 games at home. Preferrably, something like Watford home, then Scunthorpe away and Portsmouth home. I''d fancy at least 7 if not 9 points from that. Knowing are luck, will probably be Forrest away first then Burnley Home, QPR away and then Reading home.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

[quote user="ſilly ſauſage"]How do we know which clubs are which at the beginning?
[/quote]

going on last season.

[/quote]

Forest struggled the year we went down, but the year after they finished 3rd! I can''t really see this thread causing much debate to be honest Nana!

[quote user="Darren Lamb"][quote user="I am a Banana"]

[quote user="ſilly ſauſage"]How do we know which clubs are which at the beginning?
[/quote]

going on last season.

[/quote]

Forest struggled the year we went down, but the year after they finished 3rd! I can''t really see this thread causing much debate to be honest Nana!

[/quote]

Forest had a very good season last season because they used their youngsters instead of loanees so had a team set for the next season, unlike us!!

[quote user="I am a Banana"][quote user="Darren Lamb"][quote user="I am a Banana"]

[/quote]

going on last season.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Forest had a very good season last season because they used their youngsters instead of loanees so had a team set for the next season, unlike us!!

[/quote]

They did also spend big, however I can see this being the most even Championship for years. It was good we were out of it really with the likes of Newcastle and WBA down there.

[quote user="Darren Lamb"][quote user="I am a Banana"][quote user="Darren Lamb"][quote user="I am a Banana"]

[/quote]

going on last season.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

They did also spend big, however I can see this being the most even Championship for years. It was good we were out of it really with the likes of Newcastle and WBA down there.

[/quote]

yeah true, those 2 treams were a cut above the rest

[quote user="Darren Lamb"][quote user="I am a Banana"]

[/quote]

going on last season.

[/quote]

[/quote]

In defence of Nana this is all about the hopes of next season – how do we “hit the ground running”?

Its also probably the most open Championship for years – possibly since the year we went up.  The three relegated teams are on a pronounced slide – Burnley possibly aside – and are unlikely to run away with the league.  Likewise the 3 promoted teams – we have the momentum, Leeds will either bottle it or storm away (and theyre capable of doing either – indeed capable of doing both in the course of the season) and Millwall will be difficult to beat at the Den

Assuming the ‘Strongest clubs’ would be say Leeds, Forest and Burnley with the ‘Weakest clubs’ being say Scunthorpe, Doncaster and Barnsley, who would I prefer to face 1st?  Having seen us struggle repeatedly against lesser sides (and Norwich have done this for many years, since the mid 70s at least) and having had numerous seasons with “easy” starts going wrong (anyone remember the season we started with 3 games at home because we ‘swapped’ with Coventry on the opening day?  98/99 ish?) I’m convinced its better to start against the ‘top’ teams (you’re expected to lose and any points gained are a bonus) rather than starting against easy teams and then being gutted because you only have 4 or 5 points.  You always get at least one unfancied team getting off to a flier

Opening 3 fixtures of Burnley at Carrow Rd followed by Leeds and Forest Away would do me.

Wasn''t it about 2003 we swapped with Coventry? Remember singing "your supposed to be at home" to them. I personally don'' think Burnley will be one of the stronger clubs, and as things stand I think Leeds might struggle, teams to look out for in my opinion are Donny, Sheff Utd & even Barnsley who have vastly improved since Robins took over. Under Laws I don''t think Burnley will be a threat, probably the most even championship in a few years, this is probably our best opportunity to get back to the Premiership as the teams coming down are probably weaker than the 3 teams going up!

[quote user="ellis206"]Wasn''t it about 2003 we swapped with Coventry? Remember singing "your supposed to be at home" to them. I personally don'' think Burnley will be one of the stronger clubs, and as things stand I think Leeds might struggle, teams to look out for in my opinion are Donny, Sheff Utd & even Barnsley who have vastly improved since Robins took over. Under Laws I don''t think Burnley will be a threat, probably the most even championship in a few years, this is probably our best opportunity to get back to the Premiership as the teams coming down are probably weaker than the 3 teams going up!
[/quote]

I''m sure it was the start if the 2005/6 season. We started with Coventry at home (the one that should have been away), and then had Walsall and (from memory), Palace. All 1-1 home draws.

It was 2005/06.  We didn''t play Walsall - they were relegated the same year we won the title and haven''t been back to the second tier since.  We had Coventry, Crewe and Crystal Palace, and of course, we drew them all 1-1 when many fans were expecting at least seven points, and the rest is history.

You want to start with 1 or 2 of the better quality teams in August I reckon - gives our lot an idea of the tempo, pace off the ball, closing down and distribution  required in the league.One season we played Fulham three times in about a month, I think it was September / October time.  It was the season they ran away with it, we got thrashed 4-0 the first game, but by the third game we were giving them a run for their money.

[quote user="ellis206"]Wasn''t it about 2003 we swapped with Coventry? Remember singing "your supposed to be at home" to them. I personally don'' think Burnley will be one of the stronger clubs, and as things stand I think Leeds might struggle, teams to look out for in my opinion are Donny, Sheff Utd & even Barnsley who have vastly improved since Robins took over. Under Laws I don''t think Burnley will be a threat, probably the most even championship in a few years, this is probably our best opportunity to get back to the Premiership as the teams coming down are probably weaker than the 3 teams going up!
[/quote]

they have lose daniel bogdanovic to sheff utd though so are not going to be a threat infornt of goal unless they get in a proven striker!

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]It was 2005/06.  We didn''t play Walsall - they were relegated the same year we won the title and haven''t been back to the second tier since.  We had Coventry, Crewe and Crystal Palace, and of course, we drew them all 1-1 when many fans were expecting at least seven points, and the rest is history.
[/quote]

Cheers Graham - at least I got the colour of the shirt right!

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

[/quote]

they have lost daniel bogdanovic to sheff utd though so are not going to be a threat infornt of goal unless they get in a proven striker!

[/quote]

Decided today that I want to have leicester 1st game of the season, home or away im not fussed!!

I think having watford away early would also be a good help as they wont be doing much in the way of promotion next year so will not be to high of a hurdle to help us hit the ground on a role!

I always like to get the hardest teams early on to get them out of the way but in the Championship which has got to be one of the most competitive, open, even, professional sports Leagues on the planet  - which is which? 

I would like to get the Scum away, then that little annoying problem will be out of the way.

We will win of course

[quote user="Northern Canary"]One of the relegated teams may suffer from that "adjustment" period at the start of the season, so maybe one of them.[/quote]

hull becasue they wont have bullard who was their wes hoolahan!

I would like Swansea at home for the first game.  This is because they are a passing side like us and we can play them at our own game.  This game would be ideal to see how well we pass it and how good some of the new signings are.  Also we would be able to go all out attack without a worry of their goal threat at the other end because last season they were something like the second lowest scorers.

I then agree with Nana that a good first away game agaisn''t some like Watford would be ideal because it would be a great chance to get that all important first away win.  I would then like to play a few of the so called harder teams away so we don''t have to face the potential promotion chasing teams at the end of the season in their own back yard.  Whilst we are having tough away trips I would like a few average/poor teams at home to get us going.