Sign in to follow this  
I am a Banana

The Cost Of a Quality Championship Striker?

[quote user="CDMullins"]I''d love to see Holt and Lita together. Despite him coming on loan and the theory that loan players dont care about the club they are loaned to, he put some real effort in for us, his workrate was relentless. Not the decisive finisher he used to be but i bet he hasnt started 10 games on the bouce since he left us.[/quote]

but he was out of contract at the end of the season so was looking at the chance of a contract!

I will trust in lambert to pick someone who will be on the cheap / on a free who will fit the striking role that we are after.Talking about FM2010, John Sutton did wonders for my Norwich side.

[quote user="TheNewBoy"]

Holty will bang in 20 next year I am sure of it. All we need is somebody to chip in with another 12-15, which I am not convinced Chris Martin can achieve just yet. Maybe Martin is capable of that, who knows.

[/quote]

20? Are you really sure?  I really think Holt is going to struggle next season.  He got all his goals from sheer hard work, determination, the odd cross and the odd touch of magic last season.  The touches of magic next year from him are going to be few and far between and in the Championship you just don''t get goals through hard work and determination.  That just leaves goals from crosses and good deliveries which is where we really need to buy a winger.  In the Championship you need to be very talented and you need to be a pocher.  Grant is talented but not quite to a Championship level and also we all know standing still and being a pocher isn''t his game.  I like Grant Holt and I love the fact he really cares about the club and always gives 100% but I think we might just have to face he won''t score that many next season.

I think a good season for Grant Holt next season is 15 goals.  Anymore then he has over achieved.  As for Chris Martin I think he will score more than Holt in the Championship.  This is because he has got the talent and natural ability to play in the championship and make a goal from nothing and he is more of a pocher.  People will disagree I know but I honestly think that this will be the case.  If I were to predict I would say Holt to get 13 goals and martin to get 16/17.

People will disagree I know but I honestly think that this will be the case. If I were to predict I would say Holt to get 13 goals and martin to get 16/17.

If that''s all you think our two front players will score, we definately need some new additions!

[quote user="I am a Banana"]We need a proven striker at the champ level to do well! - Simples[/quote] Blackpool didn''t, neither did Burnley really cause Paterson was hardly proven. And think of Reading with Shane Long and Simon Church upfront for the second half of this season- neither of them are experienced, or proven...

Sorry boyo you can''t throw out someone else''s opinion by spouting that sort of stuff.

The championship, if anything, has proven that the one thing you have to have first and formoast is a desire to work really hard and have determination. We got to the play off finals on precious little else. Yes that was a while ago now but look at Blackpool:

Omerod has 33 league appearances and 11 goals to his name this season. And you cant tell me that a lot of his goals arnt from working hard. Working hard is all about putting defenders under pressure, defending from the front and by being at the right place at the right time. All things that Grant Holt does.

Yes working hard alone doesn''t get you goals but then I don''t think predicting that Holt will score in the region of 15-20 goals is unfair nor saying he isn''t good enough for the championship. Iwan Roberts top tally of league goals in a season was 19.

I guess what I am saying is that 20 goals is not a bad tally for a striker. Really you want your strikers to get around 40-50 between them, the entirety of midfield to equal that and your defence to get around 10-20 a season.

I am not arguing that Holt is a sure bet, I am just arguing that there really isn''t such a thing as a sure bet. Look at Lita - scored 7 in 16 for us, thats almost 1 in 2. But he hasn''t been able to get that sort of form together since. He may have already peaked. People slag off Cureton but if he had scored the same amount of goals for us as he did for Colchester then we would have been laughing for the money we paid for him, problem was that will probably go down as his best ever season and we signed him on his decline.

The only ''sure bet'' strikers will be over priced and normally overated. Most strikers from the lower leagues will be a gamble and in reality in some ways less so than if you signed Lita and he only scored 4/5 goals.

I think Holt is not the one to wonder about in terms of ability, its if he suffers an injury that will make it an issue, Martin on ther other hand is a bit of an unknown quantity as we know he can do it in leagues 1 and 2 and has shown us glimpses of ability in the championship before now. The real fact of the matter is that they will ''need a hand'' in that should one of them loose some form or get an injury - niggling or otherwise, we will need someone capable of offering competition and stepping into the breach.

I would love to welcome back Leroy. He was fantastic the season we wen''t down for us, and seemed to enjoy it? Yep, his wages would be high, but we managed it before, and if he''s free, i''m sure we could live. Rhodes, Garner, Austin and others named also sound very good to me. Any striker signed by our god of a manager has to be an epic one in my eyes.

[quote user="Brendo "]I would love to welcome back Leroy. He was fantastic the season we wen''t down for us, and seemed to enjoy it? Yep, his wages would be high, but we managed it before, and if he''s free, i''m sure we could live.

Rhodes, Garner, Austin and others named also sound very good to me. Any striker signed by our god of a manager has to be an epic one in my eyes.
[/quote]

but being paid £25k a week and not even playing in the top league your going to enjoy it!

le fondre for me all day long...realistically achievable and would definately make the step up

[quote user="LocalDerbys"]It looks like we could be chucking 4m at Chopra.:O[/quote]Chopra is good, but not 4 million good to be honest.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="LocalDerbys"]It looks like we could be chucking 4m at Chopra.:O[/quote]Chopra is good, but not 4 million good to be honest.[/quote]I think I''d probably agree with you there. Would be an exciting signing nevertheless. He might even flop like Priskin!

[quote user="LocalDerbys"][quote user="morty"][quote user="LocalDerbys"]It looks like we could be chucking 4m at Chopra.:O[/quote]Chopra is good, but not 4 million good to be honest.[/quote]I think I''d probably agree with you there. Would be an exciting signing nevertheless. He might even flop like Priskin![/quote]I doubt it, I rate him as a good Championship player, but I reckon you could be pipped to the post by a lower Prem club, I''m sure one of them would take a punt on him.I guess a lot also depends on whether or not Cardiff''s golden goose arrives, if it doesn''t they will be forced to sell him I reckon.

Chopra''s the new Earnshaw. Good at this level but not quite good enough for the prem.

Would he want to play for the rabid raver again? Signed from Cardiff for £5M(?) by the RR when at Sunderland and didn''t tear up any trees there before being sold back to Cardiff.

Lita has not been released, I don''t know where you all got that idea from..

[quote user="chicken"]Chopra''s the new Earnshaw. Good at this level but not quite good enough for the prem.[/quote]

does he score hat tricks like earnie though?!

Cheers for that LD-saw a Ceefax snippet including him as one of the players released by Middlesbrough at the end of the season and just "took it as read" without checking the facts-their error and me being lazy!

The strikers we had last season scored over 50 goals between them. Martin is young and still improving, and really don''t see us spending enough money to buy in better than Holt or Hoolihan.

For someone with a proven track record in the championship, your looking at probably £2m, though we just let one go on a free, and that is exactly why I think we''ll stick with what we have. By the time Cureton had a track record he couldn''t hit a cows arse with a banjo.

[quote user="Europe_93"]The strikers we had last season scored over 50 goals between them. Martin is young and still improving, and really don''t see us spending enough money to buy in better than Holt or Hoolihan. For someone with a proven track record in the championship, your looking at probably £2m, though we just let one go on a free, and that is exactly why I think we''ll stick with what we have. By the time Cureton had a track record he couldn''t hit a cows arse with a banjo.[/quote]

but put them against better quailty etc then its going to drop to 35! so we need that proven striker imo!