Sign in to follow this  
I am a Banana

The Cost Of a Quality Championship Striker?

Everyone knows that to do well in the champ you need to have a quality striker, but how much will this cost us and have we got the money to get that player?!

At the meeting last night some posters thought that we have been given money from somewhere but is this enough for a champ striker?

I only mention this as I  don''t feel that Martin, Hoolahan and Holt will be as effective as they were last season.

...?

Expect some League One unknown to be brought in to give the guys a hand , a good striker will cost the best part of £2 million and that only gets you somebody like Hooper from Scunthorpe .We should have bid for Billy Sharp but i believe he is Burnley bound now.

I think it will take something like 1m for someone like Charlie Austin, who hasn''t even played in the Championship, so unless it''s someone like Alan Lee or Jon Parkin near the end of their career, it will probably take 1 to 1.5m at least and sadly, I don''t think that is going to happen. Dean Ashton was a one-off, I fear. OTBC! 

Obviously Holt, Martin & Hoolahan aren''t going to be as destructive next season but they''re all more than capable of stepping up, they need some support though, i''m a fan of Oli & Cody but they''re no more than impact players at Championship level, Lambert knows this, he brought in Elliott in at League 1 level so it''s obvious he''ll bring in additional firepower at a higher level.Can''t see a million pound player coming in, the board are correctly trying to run a tight ship but they will back Lambert where possible, it''s up to him to identify somebody who is either surplus to requirements elsewhere at Prem or Champ level or to look in the lower leagues for a player he believes can make the step up.

[quote user="Ncfc"]Expect some League One unknown to be brought in to give the guys a hand , a good striker will cost the best part of £2 million and that only gets you somebody like Hooper from Scunthorpe .We should have bid for Billy Sharp but i believe he is Burnley bound now.[/quote]It doesn''t take £2m to bring in a good striker, it takes up to 2m to bring in a player currently doing the business at this level, the top players have to start somewhere and haven''t always been worth £2m, Kevin Doyle was brought in by Reading for £65k, Hooper cost Scunny peanuts. Its up to Lambert and Chester to find somebody they believe can do the job,

Depends on what you mean by quality. Most people here (me included) would say Ched Evans was quality. He cost Sheff Utd 3mill and yet only scored 4 league goals for them last season.

Nicky Maynard the chimps highest scoring striker scored 20 and cost 2mill from Crewe, would cost about 3.5mill I reckon. So somewhere from 2-3 mill for a proven quality striker at this level.

No chance for us I feel.

Davo

How about if we had £1million to spend, and the only player we needed was a striker. What stiker would you spend £1million, realistically?

[quote user="Brendo "]How about if we had £1million to spend, and the only player we needed was a striker. What stiker would you spend £1million, realistically? [/quote]Joe Garner from Forest could be had for £1m with money left over, Billy Sharp I imagine is going for around the £1m mark.

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]I think it will take something like 1m for someone like Charlie Austin, who hasn''t even played in the Championship, so unless it''s someone like Alan Lee or Jon Parkin near the end of their career, it will probably take 1 to 1.5m at least and sadly, I don''t think that is going to happen. Dean Ashton was a one-off, I fear. OTBC! [/quote]

Jon Parkin near the end of his career!! He''s 28!! Same age as Wes Hoolohan and younger than Grant Holt! I don''t rate him though, would rather see a kid like Jordan Rhodes!

[quote user="Brendo "]How about if we had £1million to spend, and the only player we needed was a striker.

What stiker would you spend £1million, realistically?
[/quote]

I would take a punt on Adam Le Fondre from Rotherham, £500k max. Has been prolific at all three of his clubs and is only 23, he reminds me of a cross between Robbie Fowler and Grant Holt in his style...... a strange combination I know. A non-lazy Robbie Fowler who isn''t as tall would be a good analogy. Or another way to look at it, Grant Holt with a a bit more finesse.

I would then spend the remaining £500k on Brett Pitman from Bournemouth, he is a cross between Matt Le Tissier and Lee Trundle; ability to do the spectacular - saw him score an incredible overhead kick. He is only young, 22, and came through the ranks at Bournemouth. Not sure if he would leave at this point, however Bournemouth are brassic so I''m sure they would give him a push.

So I would spent my £1m on two strikers, and loan out Cody Mac and Luke Daley ;)

I reckon Le Fondre could do a good job here. It all depends what type of striker you want and if we go for a Holt back up.

Maybe someone like the Oz striker Josh Kennedy - good height on him, seems to have found form and overcome injures. Then again after the last Australian we got in it could be a bad move.

Middlesbrough released Leroy Lita at the end of the season, has he found another club yet?

He''d be ideal...no fee to pay, but hellish wage expectations which , whilst unrealistic, might be the level other clubs would be prepared to give him?

[quote user="Legend Iwan"]I reckon Le Fondre could do a good job here. It all depends what type of striker you want and if we go for a Holt back up. Maybe someone like the Oz striker Josh Kennedy - good height on him, seems to have found form and overcome injures. Then again after the last Australian we got in it could be a bad move.[/quote]

The last two Australians in fact, Carney was awful too!

[quote user="Old Shuck"]Middlesbrough released Leroy Lita at the end of the season, has he found another club yet? He''d be ideal...no fee to pay, but hellish wage expectations which , whilst unrealistic, might be the level other clubs would be prepared to give him?[/quote]

I would prefer for Lambert to pull out the ''next Leroy Lita'' from League Two or something, on a fraction of the wages! 

Lita has a big time charlie ego, something which we don''t really have at the club, I can''t see Lambert wanting somebody like that in the dressing room.... And neither would the players...

I think that we need to protect team spirit. You also have to consider the effects on the morale of people like Grant Holt if he manages to score the same number of goals next year as his new strike partner on three times more money,  whilst wearing the captains armband.

For me, Grant Holt leads the line. Any other striker has to be prepared to compliment him. Chris Martins role has been to compliment him this year, the next striker has to be prepared to sit and be his apprentice for a year too.

Holty will bang in 20 next year I am sure of it. All we need is somebody to chip in with another 12-15, which I am not convinced Chris Martin can achieve just yet. Maybe Martin is capable of that, who knows.

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]I would go for Austin or Rhodes but some good money would be required. I wonder what Lita would cost, as he certainly fitted in well when he came on loan.[/quote]

I think he turned down 25k a week to join Sheff Utd a year ago and then joined Boro for 20k a week when he realised that was all he would get offered after peeing off The Blades.

I reckon at least 15k a week, probably 20k.

I would be angry if we signed him to be honest. We have just got our house in order, avoided financial ruin by the skin of our teeth, and then we go and give some over rated player a ludicrious salary? No way, I wouldn''t have it.

Leroy Lita scored 8 goals in 40 games for Boro last season for his £1m salary. Chris Martin could better that.

How about Jonathan Stead? Loaned to Coventry by the scum but hasn''t signed full time for them as I understand it. Scores goals and probably available at a reasonable fee.

Charlie austin for me is a no no.

I think the best players to get would be loanees from prem sides, but i dont like taking the loan route!

How about Danny Graham from Watford? He scored a reasonable number of goals in the championship in a poor team, is still quite young (24) and Watford are broke so might be prepared to sell for a reasonable fee.

[quote user="singing canary"]i must admit i am good at football manager 2010 ..!!! my record is on par with Lambert[/quote]

but lambert can''t keep quiting until he wins though[;)]

Don''t talk to me about FM 2010!

First season., we were doing EVER so well, Ritchie De Laet, signed from Man Utd on loan and Askou stars in defence and Martin banging them in for fun...promotion looked a certainty, then-ah well, at least we''re in the play-off''s-but no, agnosingly, dropped out and down to 8th!

And Leroy Lita wasn''t the answer then, though I had hoped he was!

I also wondered why it always, ALWAYS, seemed to be raining at Carrow Road!

Anyway,,,off track, off topic, and someone will have a whinge, so back onto it...

People are right about Lita. He would be expensive and he would expect to be "top man", I''m sure. What a disappointment though. When he first came onto the scene at Reading, he couldn''t stop scoring, he played for England U-21''s and was tipped to go all the way...yet, when Reading were in the Prem, it seemed he fell out with Coppell, as he couldn''t get in the side, even when they were struggling, went off the boil, then off the radar after his time with us...

...now,. after a season with Middlesbrough, he has been released there as well, Strachan doesn''t suffer fools -or ego''s-gladly, and you wonder if he played himself up there as well?

Shame, could, as they say, have been a contender.

I do wonder, as has already been mentioned, if we dont, or haven''t already, taken a look at Le Fondre. Maybe there will be one "marquee" signing this Summer, just as there was with Holt last Summer, and the striker is that player. Time will tell, but I do think that Martin is destined to have more of a role in the side akin to that Teddy Sheringham had with Man Utd/Spurs (I''m not comparing them as players, but the role they play within a team), rather than as a striker per se?

I''d love to see Holt and Lita together.

Despite him coming on loan and the theory that loan players dont care about the club they are loaned to, he put some real effort in for us, his workrate was relentless.

Not the decisive finisher he used to be but i bet he hasnt started 10 games on the bouce since he left us.