Sign in to follow this  
Canary Man of Kent

Fox signs...

There are a few conflicting answers on here now. 

Do we have a limited budget or do we have a budget capable of getting us into the top six?

If it is the latter, then I would have thought that our signings would perhaps relfect this?[:^)]

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="Trent Canary"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="Canary Wharf Canary"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

I am trying to stay positive and wait and see, but it is plainly obvious we are working to a budget.  Not unless these are squad bolsterers and the 2 or 3 ''big'' signings are yet to come?

On current evidence - on paper, I don''t see us finishing top six or even scraping into the top half.  It is good to have committed triers, but there is no substitute for quality and based on this I think we will finish bottom half about 10 points above the relegation zone.  I hope I am proved wrong.

[:(]

[/quote]

I think we''ll make 1 or 2 bigger signings for fees in the £500k to £1m range. The players brought in so far do add strength in depth to the squad, and once Gill/TJ and whoever else are shipped out I''m sure we''ll look to add the quality.

I''m sure it''s the case that the players in the greatest demand will move later in the close season, and also won''t move until replacements have been lined up.

[/quote]

If we are interested in Bailey as has been reported and we get him, I am guessing he will be our ''quality'' in midfield along with Wes.  Forster or A N Other quality keeper and a quality striker and I think Lambert may well be pretty happy with things.  3 players like this may make all difference? Here''s hoping

[/quote]

I think Lambert seems to be going down the ''Team'' route rather than big name individuals. I quite like the approach, but agree we need one or two players of championship class if we are thinking top half (Although frankly id take mid table after our recent trips to the championship)
[/quote]

You could certainly argue that the team of 2003-2004, despite there being some quality individuals, was more of a ''Good Team'' than a team with Good players.

[/quote]

Agreed. We just need to add a Huckerby or two ;-) simple :-P

Definitely. I dont think our team in 03/04 was invidually brilliant besides Hucks and arguably Green, but as a team we were fantastic.In my view the key to success in the Championship (And League one for me) is finding your best team, playing them week-in week-out, ensuring those players will put in the hard-work and work their nuts off when the chips are down, and avoiding injuries and suspensions. Roeders loan policy is pretty much the antithesis of this!

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

Do we have a limited budget or do we have a budget capable of getting us into the top six?

If it is the latter, then I would have thought that our signings would perhaps relfect this?[:^)]

[/quote]You don''t need to spend millions upon millions to get into the top 6, it''s limited compared to what we were haemorrhaging under Grant/Roeder but it will certainly be bigger than the budget Blackpool managed to win promotion with or the budgets Donny finished in the top half with or Scunny survived with.

Capt Holt wrote.."The former Manchester United trainee joined the U''s last summer but failed to secure a regular place in the first team here at the Weston Homes Community Stadium. ..Why do we need him?"

Maybe the reason he was dropped was Adies Hoofball tactics?..At carrow road he was engineering most of their attacks and the way he spread the ball around reminded me of crook! ..Said to mate at time we shouldve had russ man marking him

"The fact that he couldn''t get into Adie''s hoofballing side certainly isn''t anything to judge him adversely on - IMO it is more a good thing. "

Bloody right!

I think this is a good signing, I saw him play for Blackpool and was impressed, he had a years rest at Col Who while the ball flew over his head from defense to the opposition keeper and he has come here to play some football.As to the idea of ''big signings'' can someone just point me towards Premier Leacue Blackpool''s big signings...DJ Campbell and the £500k centre midfielder whose name escapes me...if only we could match that!!![:)]

I think this is a good signing, I saw him play for Blackpool and was impressed, he had a years rest at Col Who while the ball flew over his head from defense to the opposition keeper and he has come here to play some football.As to the idea of ''big signings'' can someone just point me towards Premier Leacue Blackpool''s big signings...DJ Campbell and the £500k centre midfielder whose name escapes me...if only we could match that!!![:)]

Blackpool got shot of him and he couldnt get a regular place in the Col Who side , is this really what we need ?

Fine, another good acquisition for the squad.  Points to others being released.  I still think the big signings are still to come - there haven''t been too many other currently in contract / non-Bosman big signings out there yet, and there''s still four weeks to 1 July, Lambo''s target date.

The biggest thing about this transfer is Cowling''s position though.  It must have been impossible for this transfer to not have been in negotiation whilst he was making his pronouncements on how bad NCFC and Bowkett in particular were.  My guess is that given this news he was actually using his press statements as a way of getting a bit more out of the Fox transfer (hence "undisclosed" fee).  I hope we haven''t bought his silence.  Or maybe he has decided to quit on the blame game.

Either way, he is a two faced piece of excrement.

[quote user="Ncfc"]Blackpool got shot of him and he couldnt get a regular place in the Col Who side , is this really what we need ?[/quote]If Lambert thinks so, yes.Lambert hasn''t put a foot wrong so far and I expect that to continue, let''s have a little faith in the man.

[quote user="Ncfc"]Blackpool got shot of him and he couldnt get a regular place in the Col Who side , is this really what we need ?
[/quote]

Please go and support someone else! Even better go and take your coaching badges, you obviously feel you have better footballing knowledge than Lambert, Culverhouse and Chester though somehow I doubt that!

Blackpool didn''t get rid of him! he left because he wanted to move on! Fox has the making of a very good champ player and someone who has the potential to be one of our best players. Honestly I am really pleased with this signing... I still want money spent on a striker and a few others but Fox.... well... i''m very very happy he''s a canary now.

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

[/quote]

You don''t need to spend millions upon millions to get into the top 6, it''s limited compared to what we were haemorrhaging under Grant/Roeder but it will certainly be bigger than the budget Blackpool managed to win promotion with or the budgets Donny finished in the top half with or Scunny survived with.
[/quote]

Under Grant/Roeder we were net sellers.  Under Lambert we`ve been net buyers.  So how were we "haemorraging" more cash on players under the former?

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]Under Grant/Roeder we were net sellers.  Under Lambert we`ve been net buyers.[/quote]Quite right Mr C. Instead of concentrating on buying and selling nets, we should have been moving the goalposts![;)]

[quote user="Kent Canary"][quote user="Ncfc"]Blackpool got shot of him and he couldnt get a regular place in the Col Who side , is this really what we need ?
[/quote]

If Lambert thinks so, yes.

Lambert hasn''t put a foot wrong so far and I expect that to continue, let''s have a little faith in the man.
[/quote]

Wouldn''t bother rising to this pratt personally. He''s a binner or something like that as he''s made exactly the same kind of response to all of our signings so far [:)]

Was Fox the one with the bleached blond hair who ran the show and scored a cracking goal in the Col U nightmare? If so he could turn out to be a very shrewd shrewd signing. From what I can remember he looked a very good player that day.

[quote user="kdncfc"]Was Fox the one with the bleached blond hair who ran the show and scored a cracking goal in the Col U nightmare? If so he could turn out to be a very shrewd shrewd signing. From what I can remember he looked a very good player that day.[/quote]No, that was Perkins [Y] Fox was the one who scored the free-kick for their 4th (?) goal.

It was fox running the show! he was spreading cultured passes all through that game,and i told mate "ffs someone needs to man mark him and stop their constant supply...Russ shouldve been mark marking him!" ...He and that winger both looked a cut above for them

These are the sort of signings I would expect given the sort of budget we are probably faced with after years of loans and a relegation. Lambert will probably be looking for potential rather than big names. Its clear he has a system set out and has found players he wants to fit into that, so im quite happy with whoever he signs. Id be quite wary of splashing out large sums of money on individual players currently, with so many clubs falling into severe financial difficulty.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

[/quote]You don''t need to spend millions upon millions to get into the top 6, it''s limited compared to what we were haemorrhaging under Grant/Roeder but it will certainly be bigger than the budget Blackpool managed to win promotion with or the budgets Donny finished in the top half with or Scunny survived with. [/quote]

Under Grant/Roeder we were net sellers.  Under Lambert we`ve been net buyers.  So how were we "haemorraging" more cash on players under the former?

[/quote]The playing budget now isn''t comparable to that under Grant & Roeder, was up approaching £14m a couple of years.

This club acheived arguably it''s best spell of success on making these sorts of signings.

If you''ve got a manager who can spot the right player then it''ll work, I beleive Lambert to be that manager & I have every faith in his decisions regarding our football team.

Can''t really remember him from THAT day and don''t know much about him. Just got to hope Lambert Lambert knows what he is doing and hope there is some ''big'' name signings coming im.

[quote user="Ncfc"]Blackpool got shot of him and he couldnt get a regular place in the Col Who side , is this really what we need ?[/quote]Ian Holloway said that he regreted letting Fox leave Blackpool.

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

[/quote]

You don''t need to spend millions upon millions to get into the top 6, it''s limited compared to what we were haemorrhaging under Grant/Roeder but it will certainly be bigger than the budget Blackpool managed to win promotion with or the budgets Donny finished in the top half with or Scunny survived with.
[/quote]

[/quote]

The playing budget now isn''t comparable to that under Grant & Roeder, was up approaching £14m a couple of years.
[/quote]

I`m sorry but i`m a shareholder and that is total garbage.  Even the first season back down with parachute payments the player wage bill was £9m but largely financed by flogging off Ashton,Jonsson and Francis and replacing them for peanuts.  Under Grant player wages were £6.8m and again partly financed by the sale of Earnshaw,Etuhu and Safri with cheap replacements.  £14m??!!

Under Lambert has been the first time since relegation that we`ve been signing players without selling big first.

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

[/quote]You don''t need to spend millions upon millions to get into the top 6, it''s limited compared to what we were haemorrhaging under Grant/Roeder but it will certainly be bigger than the budget Blackpool managed to win promotion with or the budgets Donny finished in the top half with or Scunny survived with. [/quote]What this man said. Really shows how poor our previous managers have been, unable to achieve any sort of success with a budget that I think it is fair to assume will far outweigh the budget with which Lambert will, as a minimum, keep us up this year.