Sign in to follow this  
AndyJR

A very simple poll....

England to win the world cup for me.

Norwich born and bred, but English by birth, English by the grace of god.

If it was England or Norwich to win the premiership or FA cup...Norwich....but promotion over the world cup??? No chance!!!

A no brainer really both are living on hope ....Norwich must have the better chance of going up next season, but big investment is needed ...the prem cost mega bucks, as they found out the last time....

Getting into the prem is one thing staying there is another.....£20 million needed maybe their target.

for me you have to put yourself in the scenarios1) would you rather be in johanessburg in the stadium the day england lifted the world cup?2) would you rather be at carrow road/xxx ground seeing us promoted?put like that it''s 1 for me, because the chance is rarer and hence worth more

Not for me England to win. It will go down in history we are still talking about the last time 40 odd years on. Promotion to the premiership money apart not sure how much i want to be there, probably go straight back down again anyway

2. Because I fear if we can''t do it now with such a good manager, chief exec and a more balanced playing field, we won''t be doing it for a long time.

Norwich to the Premiership, with this Manager and the imroved Board might just stay there if there is a bit more cash left in the moneybox to get them there.

I''m with Mr Whittle, if it were Norwich winning the Prem or Fa cup then it would be that but we will get promoted sooner or later anyway yet i''m not sure i can see England winning the world cup anytime soon

Remember money buys success in footballs prem league...and even more to sustain a postion there. Good Luck to Norwich if they can get the money needed..

The England team......nomally go out in the quarter finals.........

[quote user="The Lord"]for me you have to put yourself in the scenarios1) would you rather be in johanessburg in the stadium the day england lifted the world cup?2) would you rather be at carrow road/xxx ground seeing us promoted?put like that it''s 1 for me, because the chance is rarer and hence worth more[/quote]In this case 1 wins hands down, how many people could ever get to say I was there when England lifted the world cup.

2 everytime, too many muppets play for and support England. I will watch the games, but I wouldn''t swap a win in the derby for the world cup. Will watch the games but I always view the Hysteria that always surrounds England in the world cup with something between contempt and ambivalence. Does having two Tacky flags made in China with ''England'' written on it (is that for people who are colour blind?) make you doubly patritic? No it makes you look twice the prat - and I wager the vast majority who do have never been to a game...

I think I must be turing into a grumpy old man re-reading this post.

[quote user="jed exodous"]Suffolk exile Why will you watchthe games then? Are you one of the many ''muppets'' who support England?[/quote]

The muppets I was refering too were the nutters who tarnish our nation by acting like complete idiots abroad. Even those who buy flags are obviously not supporters as the proceeds of their motorway service station purchases are probably going to some sweatshop in the far east. I don''t class myself as a supporter as I''ve never been to a game though I will watch the games on TV and would rather they win since I am English. Not sure what the exact term for this type of ''support'' would be but it is not a supporter in my view.

So because of a minority of English fans and tacky supporter merchandise you dont really wanna support your country? Sad, very sad.

Norwich have their fair share of triublemakers, dont worry. Perhaps they dont get the same media coverage, but in relation to how many England ''fans'' there are, there are as many Norwich hooligans to our fan base numbers. Also have you seen the tacky gear you can buy in the club shop? I also imagine they are made in poorer countries...

I cannot beleive the negative vibes towards England and the world cup on this thread. Dont you guys remember how boring the country was 2 years ago when we weren''t at the Euros?

The main reason i''d rather see England win the world cup, so in another 30 or 40 years, i can tell my Grandkids about it, like my parents and grandparents have. I''m so jelous or people who lived that experience. Norwich are my bread and butter and i want them to do well, but the promotion is not essential to our club at the mo.

As mentioned by other posters, if the comparison was for Norwich to win the league or champions league then the answer would be Norwich.

[quote user="jed exodous"]So because of a minority of English fans and tacky supporter merchandise you dont really wanna support your country? Sad, very sad. Norwich have their fair share of triublemakers, dont worry. Perhaps they dont get the same media coverage, but in relation to how many England ''fans'' there are, there are as many Norwich hooligans to our fan base numbers. Also have you seen the tacky gear you can buy in the club shop? I also imagine they are made in poorer countries... I cannot beleive the negative vibes towards England and the world cup on this thread. Dont you guys remember how boring the country was 2 years ago when we weren''t at the Euros? The main reason i''d rather see England win the world cup, so in another 30 or 40 years, i can tell my Grandkids about it, like my parents and grandparents have. I''m so jelous or people who lived that experience. Norwich are my bread and butter and i want them to do well, but the promotion is not essential to our club at the mo. As mentioned by other posters, if the comparison was for Norwich to win the league or champions league then the answer would be Norwich.[/quote]

But Euro 2008 was the best tournament I''ve seen!

Telling your children about winning in 1966 isn''t all it''s cracked up to be.

We won it because Brazil and Pele were brutally kicked out of the competition and because a Russian linesman couldn''t see straight.

[quote user="dylanisabaddog"]

We won it because Brazil and Pele were brutally kicked out of the competition and because a Russian linesman couldn''t see straight.

[/quote]

Hmm. What rubbish! I was going to post reasons why it''s rubbish, but they''re too obvious. Every team has some luck on their way to winning a tournament (think how Mourinho''s career would have shaped up if Scholes''s goal wasn''t disallowed in 2004 champs league thus knocking Porto out). Damn. I posted a reason.

"We won it because Brazil and Pele were brutally kicked out of the competition and because a Russian linesman couldn''t see straight."

Bullsh1t - we won because for 105 minutes of a 120 minute game, we were all over them...

[quote user="dylanisabaddog"]

[/quote]

By the same token, we would have won in 1986 if Maradona hadn''t punched the ball into the net.

[quote user="Suffolk exile"]

2 everytime, too many muppets play for and support England. I will watch the games, but I wouldn''t swap a win in the derby for the world cup. Will watch the games but I always view the Hysteria that always surrounds England in the world cup with something between contempt and ambivalence. Does having two Tacky flags made in China with ''England'' written on it (is that for people who are colour blind?) make you doubly patritic? No it makes you look twice the prat - and I wager the vast majority who do have never been to a game...

I think I must be turing into a grumpy old man re-reading this post.

[/quote]I was just about to say the same thing actually [;)]

This threads tripping me out now its been mashed together.

Suffolk exile, i give up, if thats really what you beleive in then so be it. Whatever you choose to do during the next 5 weeks, enjoy your summer.

As for your comments about 66, have to agree with others. Are you telling me we''ve never had unfortunate decisions (Maradona, Sol Campbell goal ruled out in Euro 04, Rooneys metertarsel, Winker Ronaldo...) or games we''ve been kicked and fouled? Or dodgy linesmen ourselves?

[quote user="jed exodous"]So because of a minority of English fans and tacky supporter merchandise you dont really wanna support your country? Sad, very sad.[/quote]

I don''t think it''s sad at all. Just doesn''t particularly float my boat - and I would say a significant minority of proper football fans would agree (I exclude plastic Man U and Chelsea ''fans''). It means I can watch the games as entertainment rather than the emotional mangle that is watching NCFC. Cricket, now that''s a sport where I can really support England. You can drink all day in full view of the pitch but with no prospect of trouble, you''ll never find an Ipswich player playing for them and they will never play at portaloo road.

[quote user="jed exodous"]So because of a minority of English fans and tacky supporter merchandise you dont really wanna support your country? Sad, very sad.

Norwich have their fair share of triublemakers, dont worry. Perhaps they dont get the same media coverage, but in relation to how many England ''fans'' there are, there are as many Norwich hooligans to our fan base numbers. Also have you seen the tacky gear you can buy in the club shop? I also imagine they are made in poorer countries...

I cannot beleive the negative vibes towards England and the world cup on this thread. Dont you guys remember how boring the country was 2 years ago when we weren''t at the Euros?

The main reason i''d rather see England win the world cup, so in another 30 or 40 years, i can tell my Grandkids about it, like my parents and grandparents have. I''m so jelous or people who lived that experience. Norwich are my bread and butter and i want them to do well, but the promotion is not essential to our club at the mo.

As mentioned by other posters, if the comparison was for Norwich to win the league or champions league then the answer would be Norwich.[/quote]I agree with most of what you have said, it''s such a shame to see so many negative and unenthusiastic comments about the English national team just prior to a major tournament which should we win, would give many people a much needed lift and feel good factor, something this country as a whole has been lacking for many years now. Some of the reasons mentioned as to why people on here aren''t at all bothered about England in the world cup seem piss-poor to me, especially the the excuse that the England team is full of ****ers and what have you, I can only think these people read to much into tabloid headlines, only Terry and A.Cole stand out as being unlikeable characters in the England team for obvious reasons, what have the rest done for people to be so judgmental on them?