Sign in to follow this  
Bethnal Yellow and Green

Too much, too soon?

I know this may not be a popular view; but are we signing players too soon?

I understand the arguement that the sooner they are signed the sooner they can intergrate into the squad, but seeing as the squad won''t even being getting together until late June/early July are we jumping the gun a bit?

With the free transfers I totally understand they will come early on, as their contracts our expiring etc. But are we potentially missing out on players who will only become available later on in the transfer window? You never know who might become unhappy at their club or will find they are out of the first team picture due to new transfers etc.

Are we all getting caught up in the excitement of new signings?

No. They will have a chance to settle in and get used to the wonderful club that is Norwich City. [Y]We have hardly spent much money yet, have we? [:S]

I have to agree with Brendo here OP, Lambert knows who he wants and he seems to be getting them all (with the exclusion of Forster at the moment)

We''ve not really spent money so far, undisclosed deals with Fox and Crofts on undisclosed fees. Fox wasn''t needed anymore and I can''t imagine Crofts costing too much money either. I think it''s very smart work from Lambert and co to get their players in early, and still have money available for perhaps one or two surprise moves when players wish to be transfer listed later in July and early August.

[quote user="The Walking Man "]I believe we haven''t actually ''signed'' some of them yet. The players in questions ''sign'' on the 1st of July.[/quote]

That is kind of my point, we have paid for them - or at least agreed to so would be liable if we pulled out now - but yet they aren''t our players. Could we have waited to see if someone else became available? Was there that much competition for Crofts or Fox?

I''m not saying I''m completely against getting people in early, we beat the rush and potential bidding wars - although I''m sure both Fox''s and Crofts'' agent would have been informing other interested clubs that the transfers were happening and to get bids in while they can. But would waiting mean players assumed unavailble suddenly come onto the market, or players deemed too expensive have their prices reduced due to a number of circumstances?

It sometimes feels that the love in for Lambert and McNally (who deserve high praise) means their actions go un-scrutinised.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="The Walking Man "]I believe we haven''t actually ''signed'' some of them yet. The players in questions ''sign'' on the 1st of July.[/quote]

That is kind of my point, we have paid for them - or at least agreed to so would be liable if we pulled out now - but yet they aren''t our players. Could we have waited to see if someone else became available? Was there that much competition for Crofts or Fox?

I''m not saying I''m completely against getting people in early, we beat the rush and potential bidding wars - although I''m sure both Fox''s and Crofts'' agent would have been informing other interested clubs that the transfers were happening and to get bids in while they can. But would waiting mean players assumed unavailble suddenly come onto the market, or players deemed too expensive have their prices reduced due to a number of circumstances?

It sometimes feels that the love in for Lambert and McNally (who deserve high praise) means their actions go un-scrutinised.

[/quote]

I think playing the percentages we have got it right so far. IMO there will be a higher percentage of better players available now rather than towards the end of the transfer window when we might end up with one or two players who have become available but we would still be left with big gaps in the squad. Perhaps if we were only looking at bringing in one or two players then i''d expect us to bide our time a bit more but not when we''re looking to bring in 6+ players...

Thes are not knee jerk signings. Presumably all on Lambert''s famed hit list if we got promoted and of course more to come before 1 July.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

I understand the arguement that the sooner they are signed the sooner they can intergrate into the squad, but seeing as the squad won''t even being getting together until late June/early July are we jumping the gun a bit?

With the free transfers I totally understand they will come early on, as their contracts our expiring etc. But are we potentially missing out on players who will only become available later on in the transfer window? You never know who might become unhappy at their club or will find they are out of the first team picture due to new transfers etc.

[/quote]You are Neil Doncaster and I claim my £10.

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]You are Neil Doncaster and I claim my £10.[/quote]

That''s just bellow the belt!

Lambert may have wated this new signings quick but still have other players he wants to bring in later so there is not 6 new players to gel but 3 then another 3.

Bethnal, I think from the latest article surrounding McNally and acting quickly we can assume Lambert has had Fox and Crofts on his radar already. With news of Ewan Chester having been told already to write up shortlists of players for the next two traner windows, McNally and Lambert probably have their own for this transfer window written up, it would make a lot sense anyway! I imagine Lambert is going for the players he WANTS, not who may become available and who we may well lose a contract bidding war for.

Will be very interesting to see who he brings in next, but I certainly see what you''re trying to say mate :)

"ut are we potentially missing out on players who will only become available later on in the transfer window?"

You are suggesting, by doing something early, we miss out on something that hasn''t happened yet? But by doing nothing, we don''t miss out... HUH!?

I think he''s more trying to say should we be getting contracts signed and wages being used up now when potentially much better prospects will become available later in the month or in deadline week.

Why would the other clubs be holding those prospects back, when there intention is to get rid of them? Generally, it''s not a good way to sell something...

I guess because they want to find a replacement before selling a first team player. Either way, we''re doing the right thing by getting the like of Ward and Smith in before a contract bidding war started with other clubs :) good to see Lambert is on the ball!

It makes sense to hoover up the free transfers and out of contract players early and, if we have got some dosh, keep our powder dry so that we can then move in for one or two marquee signings later. I genuinely believe that Lambert will bring in at least one "name" player in the next couple of weeks, probably a striker.

[quote user="Freebie City F.C."]Well we have not rushed through the Nicky Bailey signing but then a few other teams were interested in him unlike our other signings.[/quote]You know for sure that no one was interested in our other signings?

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Freebie City F.C."]Well we have not rushed through the Nicky Bailey signing but then a few other teams were interested in him unlike our other signings.[/quote]You know for sure that no one was interested in our other signings?
[/quote]The clue is in the name Morty. Freebie City was previously known as Loan City FC so you can see, he has always always held our club in high esteem! [:S] He has a little mate to help him out now called Ncfc. Truly a laugh a minute when they''re together I bet! [:''(]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Freebie City F.C."]Well we have not rushed through the Nicky Bailey signing but then a few other teams were interested in him unlike our other signings.[/quote]You know for sure that no one was interested in our other signings?[/quote]The clue is in the name Morty. Freebie City was previously known as Loan City FC so you can see, he has always always held our club in high esteem! [:S] He has a little mate to help him out now called Ncfc. Truly a laugh a minute when they''re together I bet! [:''(][/quote]Ahhhh, right.[Y]

[quote user="Freebie City F.C."]Well if there was another Championship club interested in either Crofts or Fox i would be astounded .[/quote]But my point is that you don''t actually know, do you?

Never too soon.

Whe you sign a player just before the start of pre-season training how much time do they have to come to Norwich with their family, look around and look at a place to live etc?

Sign them this early on they can do that, find somewhere, go on holiday and know that by the time they get back the deal on the house may almost be complete and they have little to worry about. I think it gives them more time to focus on football rather than other things.

The other thing is plays that are ''free'' in the summer are eligeable to start talks in January so it may be that some of these guys have been ongoing since then anyway.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Freebie City F.C."]Well if there was another Championship club interested in either Crofts or Fox i would be astounded .[/quote]

But my point is that you don''t actually know, do you?
[/quote]

Oh right, only one club is interested in Cesc Fabrigas, must be crap.

Morty is right. And in addition to that we have signed plenty of players in the past where it wasn''t made public if other clubs were after them, Francis, Holt (Gary) to name but two. That obviously made them pants didnt it? In contrast several clubs were said to be after Otsemobor and look what he achieved.