Sign in to follow this  
Chelmsford Canary

New Football League Rules

So if I am correct we have to have ten players in our 25 man squad who had to have a pro contract with us for three years before they turned 21?

Lots of teams will struggle to do that...

[quote user="Colchester Canary"]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8729294.stm

Just to let people know. Main change is 10 players are home grown! Good reason to hang onto Rudd and Steer.

Restricted squad of 25...not sure if there is a possible loop hole on that, or whether it is as extreme as it sounds.

[/quote]

The 25 applies to players over 21, so Adeyemi, Daley and Smith wouldn''t count, if I''m reading it right.

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Colchester Canary"]

Just to let people know. Main change is 10 players are home grown! Good reason to hang onto Rudd and Steer.

Restricted squad of 25...not sure if there is a possible loop hole on that, or whether it is as extreme as it sounds.

[/quote]

The 25 applies to players over 21, so Adeyemi, Daley and Smith wouldn''t count, if I''m reading it right.

[/quote]

Maybe I''m wrong then??[:s]

[quote user="Boyo"][quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Colchester Canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Maybe I''m wrong then??[:s]

I''m not sure mate, the article is pretty vague to be honest. I mean, do they not count against  the 25 maximum but count as three of the ten home grown players? There''s just not enough information.

[/quote]

[quote user="Boyo"]

So if I am correct we have to have ten players in our 25 man squad who had to have a pro contract with us for three years before they turned 21?

[/quote]

Congrats on number 1000 haha

[quote user="Colchester Canary"]

[quote user="I am a Banana"]Well we wouldn''t have agreed if we were ok with it![/quote]

Did you sign up to it then?

[/quote]

Norwich will only have agreed if they are happy to do this.

[quote user="NCFC-47"][quote user="Boyo"]

[/quote]

Congrats on number 1000 haha
[/quote]

Thank you...

... and 5![;)]

[quote user="Boyo"][quote user="NCFC-47"][quote user="Boyo"]

[/quote]

Congrats on number 1000 haha[/quote]

Thank you...

... and 5![;)]

[/quote]

ha sorry [:P]

Also would be happy if they hit clubs with bigger punishments for going into admin. Even bigger punishment for going into it twice

Just 3 years in the youth ranks I believe although I could be wrong (wouldn''t be the first time)

I thought it would be 3 years in the youth ranks of *any* team in that country. So if a 16 year old Johnny foreigner, joined English team A for one year, joined another for another year, and joined a 3rd for another year - he''d qualify as a "English home grown player" for any team in England.

So - pretty much every player we have was in whatever British youth teams for at least 3 years, and hence, it''s not an issue.

"Home grown" players have to have been registered with any English club for 3 years before the age of 21. Out of our current squad only Lappin, S Smith, Askou and Hoolahan fall outside of this.

The team will register 25 players to make up the squad, players under the age of 21 don''t have to be included in this squad although can if the team chooses to, which would usually only happen to hit the 10 "home grown" players quota. There will be no problems for Norwich to meet these new regulations, and I can''t think of any clubs in the Football Leagues that will struggle with this.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

any English club

[/quote]

Any English league club, any English professional club, or any English FA-registered pyramid club? Anyone know?

If this doesnt count the Premiership in this ruling...why is this???

Yes we need homegrown talent coming through but 10 in a squad of 25 fecking rediculous!!!!  yet another matser stroke from the FL...<<<shakes head and tuts loudly>>>

"Home grown" players have to have been registered with any English club for 3 years before the age of 21. Out of our current squad only Lappin, S Smith, Askou and Hoolahan fall outside of this.

The team will register 25 players to make up the squad, players under the age of 21 don''t have to be included in this squad although can if the team chooses to, which would usually only happen to hit the 10 "home grown" players quota. There will be no problems for Norwich to meet these new regulations, and I can''t think of any clubs in the Football Leagues that will struggle with this.

[/quote]

I can think of a few that might struggle with the squad of 25 though. Not sure how that will hold up with the PFA in the long run because it means more players being ditched.

Our squad of players over 21 (starting with defence first) is:

Drury, Wiggins, Whitbread, Askou, Nelson, Ward, R.Martin, Spillane, Smith = 9

MacNamee, Hoolahan, Tudor-Jones, Crofts, Gill, Fox, Hughes, Lappin = 8

Holt, Martin, Johnson, MacDonald = 4

That''s 21 and we are short in some areas. Does this include loan signings? If it does then we will be looking at Forster as well. And I haven''t included Russell. We easilt hit the 10 homegrown player rules.

The only issue I have is that the premiership don''t play by these rules which seriously hampers teams newly relegated from the premiership and teams trying to get into the premiership in that once there the rules change. It will force the price of good foreign players up as you can only have so many but also increase the cost of homegrown players produced here and being poached by the bigger clubs.

Some clubs will struggle and will be forced to let players go this summer as a result, but it may also mean players having to reduce their wages or find themselves out of work.

Could work very nicely or go horribly wrong.

The Premier League are working on a similar ruling, although only need to name 8 "home-grown" players. This was agreed last year to start from the beginning of this season, there is also a similar ruling coming in for all teams in Europe Competitions.

Any loan players have to be registered within the teams squad if over the age of 21. So Forster (if he comes) we be one of our 25.

This ruling will mean domestic players will become more expensive and 17 year old players from abroad will become much more expensive as in 3 years they will count as "home-grown". It will also mean teams have to focus on developing youth players rather than just buying in ready made products, both domestic and international. You will find teams having to field more of their own youth players when injuries come into play throughout the season.

Hang on a minute - from that link :[quote]But following the meeting of the 72 clubs in Malta[/quote]I thought most of them were potless !  What''s wrong with a flipping conference room at a Travelodge ?

The Premier League are working on a similar ruling, although only need to name 8 "home-grown" players. This was agreed last year to start from the beginning of this season, there is also a similar ruling coming in for all teams in Europe Competitions.

Any loan players have to be registered within the teams squad if over the age of 21. So Forster (if he comes) we be one of our 25.

This ruling will mean domestic players will become more expensive and 17 year old players from abroad will become much more expensive as in 3 years they will count as "home-grown". It will also mean teams have to focus on developing youth players rather than just buying in ready made products, both domestic and international. You will find teams having to field more of their own youth players when injuries come into play throughout the season.

[/quote]

Do the prem have the same squad quota? I doubt it because they complain about playing all those ''extra'' matches they have. They can afford to keep 8 homegrown players as bench warmers for the reserves. Its a kind of pointless process unless everyone is playing to at least proportionate rules.

Prem teams always argue they have too many grueling matches which are stacked up - yet half of them play less games than the lower league teams, its pathetic. They have more money and supposedly better and fitter players.

I think the other rule that fifa were looking to bring in is that youth players are automaticaly given a 3 year contract at 18 to prevent clubs from poaching them the way they have been in the past and the club that has worked hard on them getting whatever some rubbish tribunal sets as the fee.

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]

Do the prem have the same squad quota? I doubt it because they complain about playing all those ''extra'' matches they have. They can afford to keep 8 homegrown players as bench warmers for the reserves. Its a kind of pointless process unless everyone is playing to at least proportionate rules.

Prem teams always argue they have too many grueling matches which are stacked up - yet half of them play less games than the lower league teams, its pathetic. They have more money and supposedly better and fitter players.

I think the other rule that fifa were looking to bring in is that youth players are automaticaly given a 3 year contract at 18 to prevent clubs from poaching them the way they have been in the past and the club that has worked hard on them getting whatever some rubbish tribunal sets as the fee.

[/quote]

Premier League teams to have squads of 25 like the Football League.

http://www.premierleague.com/page/Headlines/0,,12306~1797582,00.html

In fairness it''s only the teams that compete in the Premier League that usually complain about their schedule. But it is a handy excuse for any manager after a poor results.

Will the 25 player squad rule mean better players becoming available for the better Championship teams ?What are current squad sizes like, and would the reserves for say Stoke get a game at Forest or Burnley ?

Yes it would mean better players becoming available IF there was a restriction or, even better, a ban on ALL loans. The Premiership clubs would then have to allow players to be transfered instead of loaned and that would massively help smaller clubs as more players would become available and we would return to the possiblity of picking up bargain reserve team players from the top clubs as we have in the past.

The squad limitation on players over 21 is a massive step in the right direction.