Sign in to follow this  
George Smiley

Have you ever had a trial for a professional team?

I never had because i was shite ...but one player we used to have a kick about with at the old Jenny Lind 5 a side pitch was always going off all over  the country for trials with different  professional teams.I think the highest level he played was for Norwich Utd in the Anglian Com.I read that Harry Rednapp used to hold open trials at West Ham for everyone  of any ability , his idea was most of them would be shocking but you may occasionally find a real diamond .

I never did - shame, but I know a few people that have had but never got anywhere.

I was at school with Ryan Oakley (in the academy atm) so that will be my claim to fair LMAO!

Nope.

Very keen right winger indeed, but only ever played for my village, North West Norfolk League, Divison 3!

Best I can manage is playing in the same college team as Mark Shail, ex-Bristol City & going to our 5 a side awards night and getting the "Good Sportsmanship" (for goodness sake!) award from Alan Pardew.

I had 1 trial for the U14 Norwich academy back when I was 13, I didn''t get in but my old friend Bally Smart was the closest person I knew to making it, He was in the Norwich Acedmy set up for a few years before getting into the youth and reserve team, made one brief appearance for the Norwich first team for all of 10 minutes 3 years ago away at Sheffield I believe, but shortly after didn''t get his contract with the club renewed.

quite a lot of clubs will give you a trial if you contact them... Especially lower league ones. Daggers, Barnet etc... My bro played for Bristol Rovers reserves in the same team as Josh Low and Gary Penrice. My brothers strike partner was Bobby Zamora! I was at Fulham for a little while but wasn''t good enough. Palace had me on trial and I was often watched by their GK coach. In fact he was watching when I rutured my cruciate ligaments in my knee.... ''nee'' -dless to say... he dropped his interest! 

As a youth i had trials with Norwich, Wolves and Aston Villa. Wolves offered me a place in the acadamy but this was long before the days of clubs moving families near to poach players. As i was only about 12 or 13 at the time and had my heart set on trying to make it for Norwich i didnt take them up on the offer. Have regreted it pretty much ever since.

signed for Norwich at the first age group of the academy, quit within 2 months as i hated it, constantly getting bollocked by my coach every day was great for 11 year old me. After a few more left within a couple of months the coach was sacked. Had numerous trials at the club untill i was 16.

And your right if your a half decent footballer its easy to get trials, a friend of my brothers rings up a lower league club brentford, colchester, southend says hes been released from norwich and theyll offer you a 6 week contract. He trains for 6 weeks with them and tells everyone hes playing for southend or whoever, come the end of the 6 weeks he leaves and starts the process all over agian.

I played for Norwich academy for 2 years and then i broke my leg at Watford and never really recovered well enough so i got dropped.

Kenny Reeves goes to my school. Guessing may won''t know him, he was in the acadment las tyeat.

I had trials with Norwich City, Oxford Utd, and Cambridge Utd, Never really had long enough at each club to impress, except for Cambridge where i stayed for around 6 months, only to be told at the end of the trial period that there was ''nt enough money to be able for me to turn pro, but that i was good enough for a contract, but thats how it goes at lower league level,

I used to think I was a good footballer.

Then I played left back against Phil Lythgoe in a school match.

It was the longest 90 minutes of my life.  I still have the odd nightmare about it 36 years later.

Colchester offered me a trial when I was younger but I turned it down as at that point I was far more interested in being a musician, Mate of mine, Andrew Fisk was on City''s books for a while though. Best footballer i''ve ever played with. Did whatever he wanted on a pitch.

[quote user="Brendo "]Kenny Reeves goes to my school. Guessing may won''t know him, he was in the acadment las tyeat.
[/quote]

In your picture it looks as though Heskey is about to have his way with Lennon...

How interesting -and sad- that a lot of you had promise and trials etc when you were younger, but had to pack it in because of injury.

For, presumably, young and developing bodies to be affected and "damaged" at that stage in your life is quite worrying, have any of you suffered for it, as you got older?

It also makes me wonder about the training itself and the degree of hard work and physical effort required, is it too much, are coaches expecting too much? As for being "bollocked"-no, no NO! I cannot see how that method can benefit anyone, especially youngsters, and wonder how many promising ones have packed it in because of that?

I am getting regular coaching for tennis now and my coach NEVER raises his voice, but does manage to get his point across and I am learning. I am not a "youngster" but I still suspect that, if he did start bollocking me, I''d soon pack it in.

I''m sure that the English method of coaching and that in continental Europe is still very different, with the latter still focusing on ball work and skills, where-as, over here, its about body strength and being physically fit and strong. Someone has said that you used to make footballers out of athletes, now they turn footballers into athletes, and I agree with that.

Any feedback?

Same old story I''m afraid. Was offered a trial with Norwich when I was 16, but had what I thought was a guarenteed life long career sorted and decided not to accept. That just turned out to be the first of a long list of really stupid decisions. Mind you, at least I can dream that I might have made it. lol.

[quote user="Old Shuck"]How interesting -and sad- that a lot of you had promise and trials etc when you were younger, but had to pack it in because of injury.

For, presumably, young and developing bodies to be affected and "damaged" at that stage in your life is quite worrying, have any of you suffered for it, as you got older?

It also makes me wonder about the training itself and the degree of hard work and physical effort required, is it too much, are coaches expecting too much? As for being "bollocked"-no, no NO! I cannot see how that method can benefit anyone, especially youngsters, and wonder how many promising ones have packed it in because of that?

I am getting regular coaching for tennis now and my coach NEVER raises his voice, but does manage to get his point across and I am learning. I am not a "youngster" but I still suspect that, if he did start bollocking me, I''d soon pack it in.

I''m sure that the English method of coaching and that in continental Europe is still very different, with the latter still focusing on ball work and skills, where-as, over here, its about body strength and being physically fit and strong. Someone has said that you used to make footballers out of athletes, now they turn footballers into athletes, and I agree with that.

Any feedback?[/quote]The knee injury certainly has been problematic. I was out for four years and have started playing again. However it''s broken down two or three times since and causes a lot of discomfort in everyday life. Playing Saturday and Sunday league football isn''t the easiest either and hasn''t helped! I''ve since had a broken neck (knee to the back of the head) fractured jaw/eye socket, broken ribs, ligament damage to other knee and broken fingers! Shouting doesn''t benefit most but it does for some. It depends what is being said and how often a coach shouts. Personally it never helped me but I know other players do react positively to it.A word on the side with critique was always much better as it helped you understand and focus on improving the parts that you were getting wrong (for me that was coming out for crosses... I was rubbish!)On the athletes front, at a lot of American colleges, there is a lot of cross over in the training of sprinters and American footballers... both benefit as the footballers are strong and get good times on the track and the athletics training makes them faster which in turn improves their performance on the pitch.   

[quote user="Brendo "]Kenny Reeves goes to my school. Guessing may won''t know him, he was in the acadment las tyeat.
[/quote]

Take it your school doesn''t teach English?

[quote user="canarytom"]

[/quote]

Take it your school doesn''t teach English?

[/quote]

last yeat?

lasty eat?

Lol.

Not quite a professional team although half of the players were paid pro''s...but had 3 trials for Sittingbourne during the late 80''s. Being fast as f**k did me well in the lower in Saturday/Sunday footy, but I was seriously lacking in my "all-round play" to even make semi pro. Played upfront in a friendly against Dulwich hamlet and was marked by Paul Elliott’s brother...my 20 yards in **seconds didn’t get me anywhere...found it hard to even walk for weeks after.

Not making the grade at any decent level of footy coincided with the boom of acid-house/warehouse parties/great days of hedonism, so probably so for the best I had my weekends free. Nearly 20 years in the music industry has served me well. “Sliding doors”and all that. ;0)

Played for Colchester Academy, then found sex, drugs and rock''n''roll! Went back to the game in early 20''s, played for a non league side in Gloucestershire made 1 FA Cup appearance, did cruciate ligament damage and never played again. [:(]  At best I was only ever average to be honest.

I went to school with a guy who went on to play for Sheffield Wednesday...can''t remember his name, Shane Bachelor I think?

Was at Col U until I was 16 and had trials at Rushden, Leyton Orient, Gillingham and Yeovil when I was released but I knew I was never good enough as a keeper tbh. Still got a lot of friends playing at varying levels from League One down to Ridgeons stuff. One of my best mates was at Arsenal as a kid and made it on to the first team bench for a Champions League game in Valencia a few years ago butbut nobody I played with has really gone on to be a massive premier league star. Kinda drifted out of the game for a few years but regret not sticking at it cos there is decent money to be made even at Conf South standard (£300 per week). I''ll stick to coaching now to be honest!