Sign in to follow this  
Norfolk Mustard

Connor Wickham's valuation...

To be fair if he was our player we''d be drooling over his potential.  Also if he has a great second season the binners will be in a much better boasting position.

The binners are in a strange situation. He''s undoubtedly talented but if they keep hold of him next year they won''t get the same kind of money they will this year because he''ll then be 18 and will no longer be young enough to become a "home-grown" player which all the clubs who play for in europe desire.

While he might be sold for £10 million this summer next season you can probably see him go for less than that. This might seem like a rediculous theory but if you think back to a couple of seasons ago Liverpool had to leave Sami Hyypia out of the Champions LEague squad for a kid because they didn''t have enough players who had been at the club for 4 years or more under the age of 21.

Davo

I think if you don''t think of him as an Ipswich player, you will look at him in a diffrent light, where people moaning as much as this about the rumoured fees and target clubs for Victor Moses? no, because he didn''t play for the binners, he was at Palace, so almost didn''t matter......I havn''t seen Wickham, but from all the hype, and description of how he plays, her certainly seems like one for the future....

Good luck to the lad ...but I do recall picking up a magazine at an airport a few years ago and on the front page it said " Dean Bowditch...has the World at his Feet", so they don''t all turn out to be Rooney''s I''m afraid.

I don''t think any of us are looking at this in an anti Piswich way, which is rather pleasing...despite him being a binner we''re seeing the bigger picture.

The point is that we''ve heard it all before whenever a youngster comes along, yet invariably they don''t quite make it. It does put the club in a strange position: cash in now or leave it when his stock may fall (or may of course increase). To an extent we did the former with Joe Lewis - he is now in a position where he could really do with a move if his career isn''t to stall.

Wickham is a special talent and certianly the best striker I''ve seen at ITFC since Alan Brazil - 10 times better than Daren Bent (who I''ve never really rated - his conversion rate is low and he can be lazy).  Dean Bowditch had / has all the skill in the world (I recall players saying that on the training ground he was the best player there - when he felt like it!!) but had the wrong attitude and assumed that working was not one of the things he had to do. 3 different managers gave him contracts in the hope he would sort his head out but he was an arrogant person who swanned round the town with a "look at me" attitude - at 17 - and thought he had "made it". As they say success is a lot to do with mind set. Having met both Bowditch and Wickham, there is no comparison. Bowditch was a little s**t, Connor is a really nice young lad (not too many of them around in or out of football). Providing Wickham is handled correctly and does not burn out (note to people who kept saying he should start every match last season!), he really can go all the way. He is a huge(!) lad, very quick, two good feet and a good footballing brain - pretty much everything a top striker needs is there.  When I watched him play for the Enlgand Under 17s in Northampton earlier this year he was telling the others where to go on the pitch at the same time as receiving the ball.  One section of play I remember is him making a run down the right wing, then with back to goal, left back behind him, as the ball came towrds him he was pointing to Anofobe(?) - who hadn''t really moved off inside left, to make a diagonal run from left to right. As Anofobe came across he chested the ball down and hit an inch perfect reverse ball into his path. Clean through on goal Anofobe hit the post. His awarness was amazing for a then 16 year old.  Right now he has good games and bad games as you''d expect from a youngster - consitency is not there yet.  But fingers crossed, he and Rooney will be the strike partnership at the next world cup. He can be that good.

Shame you guys let Rhodes go, him and Wickham woulda been a handy young pairing IMO.

he needs to keep his feet on the ground and not think he has made it! if he does this he could be brilliant if he doesn''t then he might go off the rail like shelvey and not achieve what was expected!

Thislad is quality, he will be right at the top in a few years. You have to hand it to Scum re their scouting and youth set up, they make a fair bit of money. They''re still c9unts though.

When was the last time they made any big money on youth players?  Ambrose, Dyer and Bramble and that was nearly 10 years ago.  I hear a lot about their supposed great set up but they''ve been in the championship for 10 and it hasn''t got them anywhere. Does anyone remember what happened to great exciting talent that was Danny Haynes. Oh yeah, thats right he went to footballing giants Bristol City! 

"to Scum re their scouting and youth set up, they make a fair bit of money"

more twaddle

It was Reading that ''discovered'' him. His dad moved to Colchester and Wickham subsequently joined the binners.

Imagine the squeaks were it to be someone who came through the binner youth set up keeping goal for England this world cup. Or compare how many of their youths are currently playing for their first team, whether they have two further keepers of the quality of Rudd and Steer.

Nothing against the bin boy, good luck to him, but do ensure stuff is at least accurate.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

he needs to keep his feet on the ground and not think he has made it! if he does this he could be brilliant if he doesn''t then he might go off the rail like shelvey and not achieve what was expected!

[/quote]

Shelvey who''s just signed for Liverpool?

If you want to know who the stars of the future are going to be then you need look no further than the UEFA U-17''s tournaments... Past tournament star players have included Silva, Henry and Torres.... This years winner was none other than Wickham. The boy has everything it takes and more to make it to the very top. He reminds me a little of Dean Ashton when he came through at Crewe at the age of 17. Massive for his age with skill and vision way beyond his years. No doubt Ashton would be starting alongside Rooney on Saturday if it wasn''t for his cruel injury that saw him retire. If Wickham continues to progress, I have no doubts he''ll be playing for England in future WC''s and could possibly even make his Eng debut before the next Euros. I just hope he has a couple of shockers against us this coming season!

The paupers will have cashed in on him way before that

the banks won''t lend to them any more

no share offer as the last one saw the million or so raised handed over to pay off Finito George

there won''t be enough in the ground to make it worth passing the blanket round

they still haven''t even been able to pay poor old ''madjig'' yet

It''s times like this that it is so hard to keep a straight face