Sign in to follow this  
batesout MOT

The Fight Against Racism in Football

Putting aside sporting rivalries for just one thread.

How much/well are Norwich FC doing to counter racism? Are they doing enough?

Never been an issue to my knowledge at City games. Apart from the deaf stewards at Everton of course!Know the club have supported the scheme for a number of years as they''ve produced a number of team posters with the ''fight against racism'' motto on it. Also been involved with ''Show racism the red card'' organisation as well. Got that poster too.

Quantify enough?I don''t have figures on racist incidents within the ground, but I shouldn''t theres many or any for that matter.

There was one near me against Swansea two seasons ago. Jason Scotland was being taken off, and was taking his sweet ass time about it too. I think we were 3-2 down at the time. Some old guy near me shouted "hurry up you chocholate" or something along the lines, and so two guys shouted at him and demanded to the stewards that he was removed. I think he did get removed.Other than that, never seen anything else.

I can''t remember ever hearing a racist chant. I have however heard people making comments about players to each other. Never loudly but when talking about the game.

Davo

I''m with you on this Davo. I can''t say I''ve ever noticed a serious act of racism in my years as a Norwich fan other than the odd mumbled racial remark under the breaths of fans sitting around me.

I must admit that racism much like football violence is something that is becoming more and more prevalent at football.

In the past 5 years I''ve seen more than ever.

Norwich incidents there''s been more and more fighting (Leicester a couple of seasons ago springs to mind, Grimsby going further back), there was the Nazi salutes at Hull and you do occaisionally get the odd comment but nothing of any scale.

In one week 2 years ago I attended a Lincoln game that has a big todo about some racist comments and then went to Chesterfield v Mansfield where I heard plenty of racist shouts which were taken up by a moronic few as a chant, same game has "He''s bald he''s bent his arse is up for rent Jason Lee" which appalled me at the time. Same day as this in Wales a Premier League game was riddled with racist fighting (forget which one)

Last season at Shef U Ipswich I was nearly ejected for complaining to the stewards about the racism coming out of the guy behind me''s mouth.

There isn''t the widespread issues of some decades ago but the incidents are on the increase, the thing that annoys me is that they aren''t widely reported in the papers. The Chesterfield Mansfield game I mentioned also saw a pitched battle in a local village of around 500, which involved dozens of cars getting smashed, members of the public getting injured and a church also bearing the brunt.

Maybe as I''m getting older I''m just taking more notice of instances but it is there

isnt leeds meant to be the scummiest northern racist club in england, but yet you ask what we are doing about racism, i bet you wont reply to me on this thread like the NPOWER one. Delusional.

Although taking away the atmosphere of the game,terracing has all but rid of racism and violence inside stadiums but you hear it in the streets before and after games. I haven''t heard a racist Chant like the "trigger trigger"one since the late 80''s at carrow road and can remember at the time bananas being thrown on the pitch from the Barclay end. You would be a silly person to do such idiotic things in today''s stadia.

It just isn`t an issue at Norwich.

I have seen the odd knuckle head shouting racist abuse once or twice and each time they have been dealt with.

At Leeds, racism has been reduced to isolated comments/individuals. Our scumminess, however, remains through humour chants of other natures.

Kick racism out of football is a crock really.  It''s like saying. if you''re a racist save it until after the match so your club don''t get bad press.  And ''The Fight Against Racism in Football'' gives me the impression they couldn''t give a sh*t as long as it doesn''t happen during match time.Like many organisations, they mean well but they don''t tackle the guts of it.

[quote user="batesout MOT"]At Leeds, racism has been reduced to isolated comments/individuals. Our scumminess, however, remains through humour chants of other natures.[/quote]

you mean munich, hillsborogh and bradford fire chants. But you get all up on your high moral horses as soon as theres any mention of turks.

[quote user="Å¿illy Å¿auÅ¿age"]Kick racism out of football is a crock really.  It''s like saying. if you''re a racist save it until after the match so your club don''t get bad press.  And ''The Fight Against Racism in Football'' gives me the impression they couldn''t give a sh*t as long as it doesn''t happen during match time.Like many organisations, they mean well but they don''t tackle the guts of it.[/quote]I don''t think it''s a crock at all.  It''s saying that there are certain things which are unnacceptable to say/shout/sing in public in modern civilised society.  Unless it''s Friday and it''s a message board, obviously.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Å¿illy Å¿auÅ¿age"]Kick racism out of football is a crock really.  It''s like saying. if you''re a racist save it until after the match so your club don''t get bad press.  And ''The Fight Against Racism in Football'' gives me the impression they couldn''t give a sh*t as long as it doesn''t happen during match time.Like many organisations, they mean well but they don''t tackle the guts of it.[/quote]I don''t think it''s a crock at all.  It''s saying that there are certain things which are unnacceptable to say/shout/sing in public in modern civilised society.  Unless it''s Friday and it''s a message board, obviously.[/quote]I agree, but what I saying the slogan isn''t ''Kick Racism out of Society'' is it?  That''s what I getting at.  If for instance, somebody has driven home 20 miles, stopped off at the local co-op and walking back to the car, another car drives by why somebody shouts ''Oh you black/white/Asian ****** your team is sh*t you *******''.  Would ''The Fight Against Racism in Football'' be bothered?  Probably not

Wasn''t really referring to those as humour chants.

Chants at game:

Munich gets an airing fairly often. You won''t hear the city fire being sung about: that incident at Odsal was a long time ago.

wow wow wow, Munich gets an airing fairly often but Odsal doesn` t because it was a long time ago

The fire was in 1985 and Munich was in 1958, now I`m no Carol Voderman but I reckon 1958 was a bit longer ago that 1985.

So try again coz that`s a massive fail, no pionts. Suggest you get on with your homework now sonny

[quote user="Å¿illy Å¿auÅ¿age"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Å¿illy Å¿auÅ¿age"]Kick racism out of football is a crock really.  It''s like saying. if you''re a racist save it until after the match so your club don''t get bad press.  And ''The Fight Against Racism in Football'' gives me the impression they couldn''t give a sh*t as long as it doesn''t happen during match time.Like many organisations, they mean well but they don''t tackle the guts of it.[/quote]I don''t think it''s a crock at all.  It''s saying that there are certain things which are unnacceptable to say/shout/sing in public in modern civilised society.  Unless it''s Friday and it''s a message board, obviously.[/quote]I agree, but what I saying the slogan isn''t ''Kick Racism out of Society'' is it?  That''s what I getting at.  If for instance, somebody has driven home 20 miles, stopped off at the local co-op and walking back to the car, another car drives by why somebody shouts ''Oh you black/white/Asian ****** your team is sh*t you *******''.  Would ''The Fight Against Racism in Football'' be bothered?  Probably not[/quote]Agreed, but FIFA''s jurisdiction is football.  It''s not their place to comment on society as a whole - however, if the governing body for football says that racism has no place in football, I think you can infer that they believe it also has no place in the civilised world full stop.  Apart from here, on Fridays.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Å¿illy Å¿auÅ¿age"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Å¿illy Å¿auÅ¿age"]Kick racism out of football is a crock really.  It''s like saying. if you''re a racist save it until after the match so your club don''t get bad press.  And ''The Fight Against Racism in Football'' gives me the impression they couldn''t give a sh*t as long as it doesn''t happen during match time.Like many organisations, they mean well but they don''t tackle the guts of it.[/quote]I don''t think it''s a crock at all.  It''s saying that there are certain things which are unnacceptable to say/shout/sing in public in modern civilised society.  Unless it''s Friday and it''s a message board, obviously.[/quote]I agree, but what I saying the slogan isn''t ''Kick Racism out of Society'' is it?  That''s what I getting at.  If for instance, somebody has driven home 20 miles, stopped off at the local co-op and walking back to the car, another car drives by why somebody shouts ''Oh you black/white/Asian ****** your team is sh*t you *******''.  Would ''The Fight Against Racism in Football'' be bothered?  Probably not[/quote]Agreed, but FIFA''s jurisdiction is football.  It''s not their place to comment on society as a whole - however, if the governing body for football says that racism has no place in football, I think you can infer that they believe it also has no place in the civilised world full stop.  Apart from here, on Fridays.[/quote]That''s all well and good.  Any sane person knows that verbal racial abuse is unacceptable these days in all walks of life.  So why is this organisation needed?  Racial abuse is illegal anyway taken seriously by the law, so imo The Fight Against Racism in Football'' is not necessary.  Take this club, I bet you''ll struggle to find a serious incident the past few years, and any minor one, I should imagine would be instantly dealt with by stewards/police.

[quote user="Å¿illy Å¿auÅ¿age"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Å¿illy Å¿auÅ¿age"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Å¿illy Å¿auÅ¿age"]Kick racism out of football is a crock really.  It''s like saying. if you''re a racist save it until after the match so your club don''t get bad press.  And ''The Fight Against Racism in Football'' gives me the impression they couldn''t give a sh*t as long as it doesn''t happen during match time.Like many organisations, they mean well but they don''t tackle the guts of it.[/quote]I don''t think it''s a crock at all.  It''s saying that there are certain things which are unnacceptable to say/shout/sing in public in modern civilised society.  Unless it''s Friday and it''s a message board, obviously.[/quote]I agree, but what I saying the slogan isn''t ''Kick Racism out of Society'' is it?  That''s what I getting at.  If for instance, somebody has driven home 20 miles, stopped off at the local co-op and walking back to the car, another car drives by why somebody shouts ''Oh you black/white/Asian ****** your team is sh*t you *******''.  Would ''The Fight Against Racism in Football'' be bothered?  Probably not[/quote]Agreed, but FIFA''s jurisdiction is football.  It''s not their place to comment on society as a whole - however, if the governing body for football says that racism has no place in football, I think you can infer that they believe it also has no place in the civilised world full stop.  Apart from here, on Fridays.[/quote]That''s all well and good.  Any sane person knows that verbal racial abuse is unacceptable these days in all walks of life.  So why is this organisation needed?  Racial abuse is illegal anyway taken seriously by the law, so imo The Fight Against Racism in Football'' is not necessary.  Take this club, I bet you''ll struggle to find a serious incident the past few years, and any minor one, I should imagine would be instantly dealt with by stewards/police. [/quote]Yes, I agree.  Whether this is because "Kick Racism out of Football" has been a success, or whether FIFA jumped on a bandwagon because UK society was already turning against racism at football matches, is a point for debate.  But FIFA doesn''t just govern the UK, and I think they might need the initiative more on the continent...

Thinking about it: Norwich don''t seem to have many non-white players on the books. Or even had significant players in your history. What might be the factors in this? Is racism any part of this?

[quote user="batesout MOT"]Thinking about it: Norwich don''t seem to have many non-white players on the books. Or even had significant players in your history. What might be the factors in this? Is racism any part of this?[/quote]To kill two birds with one stone can I throw the name "Justin Fashanu" into the ring?

These are good points made by Mister and ſilly ſauſage. My experience here is that there''s the same amount of racism in football as there is in general society. You will hear racist comments between fans in the Barclay just the same as between drinkers in the local pub. But there is no racist chanting at Carrow Road much the same as there''s no racist songs sung in the pubs.

But racism is still there in society, especially my generation and older. Football has probably gone as far as it can though and will never be completely free until society as a whole is.

[quote user="batesout MOT"]Thinking about it: Norwich don''t seem to have many non-white players on the books. Or even had significant players in your history. What might be the factors in this? Is racism any part of this?[/quote]

Ruel Fox

Corry Smith

Tom Adeyemi