Sign in to follow this  
Canary02 IV

System switch?

From all the things coming out of CR at the moment and particularly from Paul Lambert I wonder if we''re looking at a system switch away from the diamond.

Ward is a centre-half that likes to bring the ball out of defence and pass it. Likewise Fox has been bought for his ability to spread the play. This would suggest that Lambert is looking to play with width. Would this see the end of Wes?

As much as I rate Hoolahan I thinks there''s a legitimate concern that our diamond system is based around one player whom we have no back up for if he gets injured. And when that player is slight and a natural target for opposition cloggers I think it''s natural for the manager to consider at least a very strong Plan B.

If this is the case, are we also going to add wingers now as well? We currently only have McNamee and Dawkin as natural wing options, but you have to wonder how much is left in the pot to bring these in!

I thought the opposite could be true at the moment. He has so far signed two more central midfielders. This implies we are going to play a narrow system once more last year. So you can only imagine Wes would be the focal point of that. It has worked for Blackpool so why can''t it work for us? How obviously new signings will be made, Lambert has made no secret of this. Hopefully we will sign a couple of decent wingers because without Wes our plan B looked unconvincing to say the least.

If anything he wants to make the diamond stronger, for it to work it needs centre backs who can play, 3 hard working midfielders who will cover lots of ground but can play as well and then somebody like Wes.

I think all signs are pointing towards the diamond, but we still need a plan B, so wouldn''t be surprised if we see a wide man come in.

Some bizzare logic there, the diamond is about keeping possession, and short, quick passing moves, and so far we''ve brought in a defensive midfielder, a centre back who''ll play it out of defence, a full back and a ball-playing midfielder. No wide men. Somehow that says diamond to me.

Chelsea play with a diamond and it hasn`t been to bad for them.

Granted they have better players but we`re in the championship not the Premier league so I wouldn`t worry.

Personally I think Lambert is looking at players in who can operate in a number of different formations.

I would expect Lambert to bring in at least two wide players, so we have that option. If I was a betting man I would say we will start the season with the diamond.

Ideally if we get another wide man it will be one can be quite direct as well as typical wide man like MacNamee. I say that because that wide man could be utalised up front.

I know we call it a diamond midfield but at times its more like a 4-3-3.

[quote user="morty"]I think all signs are pointing towards the diamond, but we still need a plan B, so wouldn''t be surprised if we see a wide man come in.
[/quote]

october at the UEA [;)]

No point playing the diamond again, teams sussed us out by last November and we weren''t anywhere near as effective in the second half of the season.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]No point playing the diamond again, teams sussed us out by last November and we weren''t anywhere near as effective in the second half of the season.[/quote]

Nowhere near as effective after November. Nope. We didn''t overhaul the leaders, build up a lead, beat Leeds, Charlton or Colchester United (2 of which were away), or carry on scoring for fun. Looking back, it''s a miracle we got promoted.

What was Lambert thinking?

[quote user="thirdlion"][quote user="Mister Chops"]No point playing the diamond again, teams sussed us out by last November and we weren''t anywhere near as effective in the second half of the season.[/quote]

Nowhere near as effective after November. Nope. We didn''t overhaul the leaders, build up a lead, beat Leeds, Charlton or Colchester United (2 of which were away), or carry on scoring for fun. Looking back, it''s a miracle we got promoted.

What was Lambert thinking?[/quote]You tell me.  He hadn''t heeded the words of the forum''s tactical expert.http://www.pinkun.com/cs_pinkun/cs/forums/1/1917758/ShowPost.aspx#1917758Now I don''t know about you, because you are new around here, but many of us long-standing posters acknowledge that if there''s one thing that Shyster knows more about than far right-wing politics it''s football tactics.  You can say "Yeah, Lambert won the league with the diamond formation" or you could say the players had to work harder and achieve more to cover the flaws in the system.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Now I don''t know about you, because you are new around here, but many of us long-standing posters acknowledge that if there''s one thing that Shyster knows more about than far right-wing politics it''s football tactics.  You can say "Yeah, Lambert won the league with the diamond formation" or you could say the players had to work harder and achieve more to cover the flaws in the system.[/quote]The only person who knows more about football tactics and players than Shyster is Smudger. Come to think of it, they''ve both been strangely quiet of late, they must be making their World Cup preparations! [:''(]

The forums tactical expert?! I can only hope you''re being sarcastic. Please. Shyster could whinge all he liked about his overused metaphor but he was wrong. In fact, in another thread, he claimed that sticking with the diamond would result on us dropping into the play offs: http://www.pinkun.com/cs_pinkun/cs/forums/2010177/ShowPost.aspx

And not long before, that we wouldn''t finish in the playoffs altogether should we stick with the ''cracked diamond'': http://www.pinkun.com/cs_pinkun/cs/forums/1941232/ShowPost.aspx

Yeah - I''m not new around here.

Tactical expert indeed.

Think if Russell goes the diamond would be as Crofts holding the fort at the back with the grit, then i''d have Smith in for his work rate and energy and then Fox for his creeativity and passing with Wes then at the top of the diamond. Think this could work brilliantly for us.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Mister Chops"]Now I don''t know about you, because you are new around here, but many of us long-standing posters acknowledge that if there''s one thing that Shyster knows more about than far right-wing politics it''s football tactics.  You can say "Yeah, Lambert won the league with the diamond formation" or you could say the players had to work harder and achieve more to cover the flaws in the system.[/quote]The only person who knows more about football tactics and players than Shyster is Smudger. Come to think of it, they''ve both been strangely quiet of late, they must be making their World Cup preparations! [:''(][/quote]You missing me dear?  Well on tonight''s evidence that prat Capello could certainly use some advice!

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="thirdlion"][quote user="Mister Chops"]No point playing the diamond again, teams sussed us out by last November and we weren''t anywhere near as effective in the second half of the season.[/quote]

What was Lambert thinking?[/quote]You tell me.  He hadn''t heeded the words of the forum''s tactical expert.http://www.pinkun.com/cs_pinkun/cs/forums/1/1917758/ShowPost.aspx#1917758Now I don''t know about you, because you are new around here, but many of us long-standing posters acknowledge that if there''s one thing that Shyster knows more about than far right-wing politics it''s football tactics.  You can say "Yeah, Lambert won the league with the diamond formation" or you could say the players had to work harder and achieve more to cover the flaws in the system.

[/quote]

Holt''s suspension/s among other equations during the latter half of the season forced Lambert''s hand into fielding McNamee in a 4-4-2 -- that McNamee introduction within a 4-4-2 garnered us the points necessary to gain automatic promotion.Are you seriously here trying to contest that fact?Yes, I agree that players had to work harder in a flawed system, but it could''ve been so much easier given pace on the other wing.Are you seriously going to contest that fact too?

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Mister Chops"]Now I don''t know about you, because you are new around here, but many of us long-standing posters acknowledge that if there''s one thing that Shyster knows more about than far right-wing politics it''s football tactics.  You can say "Yeah, Lambert won the league with the diamond formation" or you could say the players had to work harder and achieve more to cover the flaws in the system.[/quote]The only person who knows more about football tactics and players than Shyster is Smudger. Come to think of it, they''ve both been strangely quiet of late, they must be making their World Cup preparations! [:''(][/quote]

You missing me dear?  Well on tonight''s evidence that prat Capello could certainly use some advice!
[/quote]

Lol!