Sign in to follow this  
norfolkbroadslim

Stadium expansion - new rows of seats

[quote user="shefcanary"]Well from the pictures on the Club web-site yesterday, the pitch had pretty much been dug up all over - perhaps they''ve cleared away a foot off the top of the pitch so as to compensate for the extra row down front.  Anyone for water polo next year?[/quote]Got a link? I can''t find the pics.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="shefcanary"]Well from the pictures on the Club web-site yesterday, the pitch had pretty much been dug up all over - perhaps they''ve cleared away a foot off the top of the pitch so as to compensate for the extra row down front.  Anyone for water polo next year?[/quote]

Got a link? I can''t find the pics.
[/quote]

Ooops, it wasn''t a photo, it was the video interiew with Richard gough, there was a short view of the pitch with some tractors and diggers going across the pitch with very little grass.

http://www.canaries.co.uk/articles/20100608/capacity-increase-update_2265098_2066835/0,,10355~2066835~1,00.html

[quote user="shefcanary"]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="shefcanary"]Well from the pictures on the Club web-site yesterday, the pitch had pretty much been dug up all over - perhaps they''ve cleared away a foot off the top of the pitch so as to compensate for the extra row down front.  Anyone for water polo next year?[/quote]Got a link? I can''t find the pics.[/quote]

Ooops, it wasn''t a photo, it was the video interiew with Richard gough, there was a short view of the pitch with some tractors and diggers going across the pitch with very little grass.

http://www.canaries.co.uk/articles/20100608/capacity-increase-update_2265098_2066835/0,,10355~2066835~1,00.html

[/quote]Couldn''t view the vid as don''t subscribe, but I see what you mean.Maybe they are re-seeding the pitch then.

I''m sure they are re-seeding, my comment about digging down a foot was a bit tongue in cheek really.

[quote user="shefcanary"]I''m sure they are re-seeding, my comment about digging down a foot was a bit tongue in cheek really.[/quote]Lol, thoughts so.Didn''t think the pitch needed re-seeding though, it looked pretty good last game I was at, apart from a few patches in front of the goal.

I am fairly sure we do have a part artificial pitch, which is one reason it alwasy looks good

We do indeed have a semi artificial pitch that combines real grass into a webbing mat on the pitch, but I guess maybe the real grass has come to the end of its useful life.

I don''t know if they can fit an extra row in front of the Jarrold stand and still leave the necessary room for wheelchair users.

I''m not happy about the lack of information as to exactly how this is being acheived in stands other than the upper River End. Is the Club afraid of upsetting fans? Are we getting less leg room or are all seats being converted to benches?

I would have thought design took account of safe crowd movement, volumes etc, etc. So why were these stands not built with more seats in the first place?

I think this will provoke discontent for some time when supporters experience the new seating.

[quote user="Sideshow Tim -backing England to win the World Cup"]Ive also heard that there''ll be an extra column of seats next to each of the exit isle''s of the Jarrold Stand. If this is true it''ll take about 6 hours to get out after the game![/quote]

I thought most of the people in that stand were gone after 85 minutes.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]I''m not happy about the lack of information as to exactly how this is being acheived in stands other than the upper River End. Is the Club afraid of upsetting fans? Are we getting less leg room or are all seats being converted to benches? I would have thought design took account of safe crowd movement, volumes etc, etc. So why were these stands not built with more seats in the first place? I think this will provoke discontent for some time when supporters experience the new seating.[/quote]

Lets just weight and see. Most of the ground is going to be reletively unaffected so I think most people will be ok with it.

The thing that concerns me the most is that the seats are on steps as to allow the row behind to see over the row in front. Are the new seats going to be cushions on the ground just behing new hoardings which will have their height reduced accordingly?

The top of the Jarold stand walkway is quite wide but again they would have to raise the seats to see over the ones in fron thus blocking light into the rooms behind. Not a big issue I know but there you go.

All stadiums/grounds have to conform to safety requirements which includes things like leg space, number of toilets to number of people in the ground etc etc etc. The club will not have gone ahead with any of this work without doing their research first and getting in contact with the relevent parties.

[quote user="Webbo118"]

[quote user="Sideshow Tim -backing England to win the World Cup"]Ive also heard that there''ll be an extra column of seats next to each of the exit isle''s of the Jarrold Stand. If this is true it''ll take about 6 hours to get out after the game![/quote]

I thought most of the people in that stand were gone after 85 minutes.

[/quote]

Will never be as bad as the old South Stand and having to wait for all the old folk to fold up their blankets and pack away their flasks before shuffling towards the exits. I think I was about as old as them by the time I got out . . . .

[quote user="dylanisabaddog"]must have been one hell of a party - watching grass grow![/quote]

They''d love to be able to do that at Colchester. They merely ask "what''s grass?"

I was at a stag do in the Huckerby Lounge last night, and took interest in the building site which is Carrow Road.

The front of the Jarrold stand has been dug up all along the front. I presume they will add a couple more rows in there, although they would be lower than the pitch.

The front few rows of the N&P and City Stand have been removed. Great idea if this was turned into terracing, could fit hundreds!

Couldn''t see that the Barclay had been touched, nor the Upper N&P.

Obviously work is in progress, just interesting to see what they will be doing. By the looks of it, ading to the front of each stand.

Interesting!

Didn''t someone say that seats couldn''t be put in at the front of the Jarold stand cause the current bottom row is already at pitch level?

Could they be lowering the pitch as well, especially since it surely isn''t possible to put anymore seats into the Barclay lower which is already very well packed in with seats?

MY Father is subbing for the main contractor, and the majortiy of the new seats will be a new ''1st / 2nd row of seats'', They''re moving the advertising hoardings closer to the pitch (well probably 5ft) and installing the rows there). That''s the majority, and the rest and has been published elsewhere will be a few fillers in the other stands.

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]Interesting!

Didn''t someone say that seats couldn''t be put in at the front of the Jarold stand cause the current bottom row is already at pitch level?

Could they be lowering the pitch as well, especially since it surely isn''t possible to put anymore seats into the Barclay lower which is already very well packed in with seats?[/quote]

The video on Canaries TV when the expansion in seats was announced showed the pitch devoid of any grass and a couple of tractors moving soil around the pitch - perfectily possible that they have taken 6 inches off, but hope the drainage is sorted.

[quote user="shefcanary"][quote user="grantroederdisaster"]Interesting!

Could they be lowering the pitch as well, especially since it surely isn''t possible to put anymore seats into the Barclay lower which is already very well packed in with seats?[/quote]

The video on Canaries TV when the expansion in seats was announced showed the pitch devoid of any grass and a couple of tractors moving soil around the pitch - perfectily possible that they have taken 6 inches off, but hope the drainage is sorted.[/quote]I suspect that they are just re-seeding the pitch.I''m just guessing but lowering the entire pitch, which would include ripping up the synthetic mesh, redigging drainage, and possibly re-piping the undersoil heating, would make the whole thing not really worth the bother.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="shefcanary"][quote user="grantroederdisaster"]Interesting!

The video on Canaries TV when the expansion in seats was announced showed the pitch devoid of any grass and a couple of tractors moving soil around the pitch - perfectily possible that they have taken 6 inches off, but hope the drainage is sorted.[/quote]I suspect that they are just re-seeding the pitch.I''m just guessing but lowering the entire pitch, which would include ripping up the synthetic mesh, redigging drainage, and possibly re-piping the undersoil heating, would make the whole thing not really worth the bother.

[/quote]I was going to make the same point. There is presumably an optimum depth below the surface for the undersoil heating, so that would have to be lowered as well. The likelihood is that either this row of seats at the front is either going to be on the same level as the row behind, or the ground there is going to be down a bit to make it slightly lower.

Hope they are not putting a row in front of the Barclay. I sit on the front row and like sitting on the front, but if they put a row in front IMO it would be to low and would not have any cover from the roof.

[quote user="ALWAYS LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE"]I sit in N&P upper and i hope you all get treated better than i did by the club if they move your seat.[/quote]

Tell us more

[quote user="ALWAYS LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE"]I sit in N&P upper and i hope you all get treated better than i did by the club if they move your seat.[/quote]

Tell us  more...

..this site is crap when it comes to quotes

If they are digging in front of the stands it would suggest they are putting in another ''step'' to sit the seats on so they will almost be in a sort of dug-out. This makes sense if they are not to block the vision of the row behind although it fires up questions about disabled seats etc.

As for the hordings - I very much doubt they will move them closer to the pitch, more likely that they will angle them and have their height lowered. There isn''t that much space between the hordings and the pitch as it is.

In addition to that there are different minimum pitch size requirements for European and therefore I would hazzard a guess, international matches than standard league games. If you didn''t know part of the reason Liverpool want a new stadium is that they are reliant on wavers from Uefa at the moment as their pitch does not meat the minimum size requirement (too narrow or short not sure which). Although we don''t have European football at the moment surely they don''t want to damage the chances of having an under 21 or England Ladies match at Carrow Road again?

[quote user="chicken"]

If they are digging in front of the stands it would suggest they are putting in another ''step'' to sit the seats on so they will almost be in a sort of dug-out. This makes sense if they are not to block the vision of the row behind although it fires up questions about disabled seats etc.

As for the hordings - I very much doubt they will move them closer to the pitch, more likely that they will angle them and have their height lowered. There isn''t that much space between the hordings and the pitch as it is.

In addition to that there are different minimum pitch size requirements for European and therefore I would hazzard a guess, international matches than standard league games. If you didn''t know part of the reason Liverpool want a new stadium is that they are reliant on wavers from Uefa at the moment as their pitch does not meat the minimum size requirement (too narrow or short not sure which). Although we don''t have European football at the moment surely they don''t want to damage the chances of having an under 21 or England Ladies match at Carrow Road again?

[/quote]

Wasn''t that one of the reasons Arsenal moved from Highbury.  Highbury did not meet the requirements for FA Cup and Internationals etc etc?