Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

Rays funds for FONCY at the World Cup with the Pink un Pickers

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I reckon if two teams who are not used to playing at altitude play eachother then the team that is most adept at "letting the ball do the work" will have the advantage.

To compare a couple of my Norwich City heroes I would say that Ian Crook would be far more effective at altitude than Gary Holt.

[/quote]

gary holts lungs were 1 in a million im sure he could still have coped [;)]

[quote user="Trent Canary"]Yep some of the stadium are at sea level. The final is at the highest point though (1700 or so??), so any team who wants to win the cup is going to have to do it at altitude. Although so are the opposition. Guess my point is not to use altitude as a deciding factor unless theres any particular team who play regularly under those conditions, and as far as im aware none of the top teams do.[/quote]It doesn''t actually take that long to gain acclimatisation when we''re talking about the sort of altitudes here.England have had the right idea in doing what they''re doing, but if you are a team that has played all their group games at sea level and then goes to altitude, I don''t think you will physically have enough time between games to gain acclimatisation.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="morty"][quote user="I am a Banana"]

[quote user="morty"]Not all the games are at altitude though, some are being played at sea level.
[/quote]

which teams are playing at sea level, as this could make a difference becasue if a team who are used to SL play in altitude they will struggle but visa versa wont have an effect!

[/quote]

I don''t know to be honest, I just know some of the stadia are at sea level.

But if you are a side who is playing at altitude, and you haven''t acclimatised to some degree, then you haven''t really prepared very well.
[/quote]

The stadia at Jo''burg, Rustenburg, Nelspruit and Pretoria all have altitude issues as they are on the Highveldt in the north of the country.

As a side issue, Joburg is an interesting place to fly from as the thinness of the air means that they have had to extend the main runway to over 2 miles in order to allow Jumbos to get off the ground. It''s a bit nervewracking when you''re trundling along for several minutes before you get into the air!

[/quote]

I knew you''d have the facts[;)]

[/quote]

Always pleased to oblige[;)]

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Two more great sets of picks from Beaus and Tilly. Now I have to will the Germans to win 2 games!![:S]

All these selections look good to me. I''m sure we will get a return for FONCY from these.

[/quote]

Oh no the Taddymeister has just put the kiss of death on it with that statement.

[/quote]

And there was me thinking I was your lucky charm!

After all, have you ever been this good at anything before..........................

[;)]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Trent Canary"]Yep some of the stadium are at sea level. The final is at the highest point though (1700 or so??), so any team who wants to win the cup is going to have to do it at altitude. Although so are the opposition. Guess my point is not to use altitude as a deciding factor unless theres any particular team who play regularly under those conditions, and as far as im aware none of the top teams do.[/quote]It doesn''t actually take that long to gain acclimatisation when we''re talking about the sort of altitudes here.[/quote]Depends. From my experience id say thats the case for walking, or mild exercise. But for a full 90 minutes of professional football im not sure you can be the same playing at over 1500 metres, with only a few weeks of preparation.  But cant say I know for sure.Either way, im sure all the teams have prepared as best they can.

[quote user="Trent Canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Trent Canary"]Yep some of the stadium are at sea level. The final is at the highest point though (1700 or so??), so any team who wants to win the cup is going to have to do it at altitude. Although so are the opposition. Guess my point is not to use altitude as a deciding factor unless theres any particular team who play regularly under those conditions, and as far as im aware none of the top teams do.[/quote]It doesn''t actually take that long to gain acclimatisation when we''re talking about the sort of altitudes here.[/quote]Depends. From my experience id say thats the case for walking, or mild exercise. But for a full 90 minutes of professional football im not sure you can be the same playing at over 1500 metres, with only a few weeks of preparation.  But cant say I know for sure.Either way, im sure all the teams have prepared as best they can. [/quote]I''m only going by my mountaineering experience to be honest.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Trent Canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Trent Canary"]Yep some of the stadium are at sea level. The final is at the highest point though (1700 or so??), so any team who wants to win the cup is going to have to do it at altitude. Although so are the opposition. Guess my point is not to use altitude as a deciding factor unless theres any particular team who play regularly under those conditions, and as far as im aware none of the top teams do.[/quote]It doesn''t actually take that long to gain acclimatisation when we''re talking about the sort of altitudes here.[/quote]Depends. From my experience id say thats the case for walking, or mild exercise. But for a full 90 minutes of professional football im not sure you can be the same playing at over 1500 metres, with only a few weeks of preparation.  But cant say I know for sure.Either way, im sure all the teams have prepared as best they can. [/quote]I''m only going by my mountaineering experience to be honest.[/quote]

Everest or K2?

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Trent Canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Trent Canary"]Yep some of the stadium are at sea level. The final is at the highest point though (1700 or so??), so any team who wants to win the cup is going to have to do it at altitude. Although so are the opposition. Guess my point is not to use altitude as a deciding factor unless theres any particular team who play regularly under those conditions, and as far as im aware none of the top teams do.[/quote]It doesn''t actually take that long to gain acclimatisation when we''re talking about the sort of altitudes here.[/quote]Depends. From my experience id say thats the case for walking, or mild exercise. But for a full 90 minutes of professional football im not sure you can be the same playing at over 1500 metres, with only a few weeks of preparation.  But cant say I know for sure.Either way, im sure all the teams have prepared as best they can. [/quote]I''m only going by my mountaineering experience to be honest.[/quote]

Everest or K2?[/quote]Lol, neither. Matterhorn, Mont Blanc and Eiger though.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Trent Canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Trent Canary"]Yep some of the stadium are at sea level. The final is at the highest point though (1700 or so??), so any team who wants to win the cup is going to have to do it at altitude. Although so are the opposition. Guess my point is not to use altitude as a deciding factor unless theres any particular team who play regularly under those conditions, and as far as im aware none of the top teams do.[/quote]It doesn''t actually take that long to gain acclimatisation when we''re talking about the sort of altitudes here.[/quote]Depends. From my experience id say thats the case for walking, or mild exercise. But for a full 90 minutes of professional football im not sure you can be the same playing at over 1500 metres, with only a few weeks of preparation.  But cant say I know for sure.Either way, im sure all the teams have prepared as best they can. [/quote]I''m only going by my mountaineering experience to be honest.[/quote]Yeah im only going on trekking experience (Inca Trail), with a spot of football thrown in against a hill top village, who took great enjoyment out of nicknaming me ''Peter Crouch'' due to my height. I tried to argue that I was Dion Dublin but sadly it went over their heads.Either way, best of luck to everyone with the bet, the picks look good and im sure you guys will bring in a decent return.

Well here goes, I have selected six group stage games, apologies if there are any duplications with any other pickers, I haven''t been on the board much recently (try to avoid doing so during the close season).Argentina v NigeriaBrazil v N KoreaSpain v SwitzerlandEngland v AlgeriaItaly v New ZealandSpain v HondurasI would also go for Spain to win the Cup. Looked impressive last night, Poland are a semi decent team.Good Luck everyone! [:)]

Well done Fonejacker and great selections my friend.[Y]

It doesn''t matter if there are any duplications. You five have earned the right to pick and you shouldn''t be influenced by eachother.

appologies for the late reply.....heres my 6...good luck one and all and COME ON ENGLAND

Argentina v Nigeria  ARG win

Italy v Paraguay  ITA win

Spain v Swiss SPA win

Brazil v Ivory Coast BRA win

England v Algeria ENG win

Holland v Japan NED win

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Trent Canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Trent Canary"]Yep some of the stadium are at sea level. The final is at the highest point though (1700 or so??), so any team who wants to win the cup is going to have to do it at altitude. Although so are the opposition. Guess my point is not to use altitude as a deciding factor unless theres any particular team who play regularly under those conditions, and as far as im aware none of the top teams do.
[/quote]

It doesn''t actually take that long to gain acclimatisation when we''re talking about the sort of altitudes here.

[/quote]

Depends. From my experience id say thats the case for walking, or mild exercise. But for a full 90 minutes of professional football im not sure you can be the same playing at over 1500 metres, with only a few weeks of preparation.  But cant say I know for sure.

Either way, im sure all the teams have prepared as best they can.
[/quote]

I''m only going by my mountaineering experience to be honest.
[/quote]

I''m at around 5,000ft.  Played my first game of football aout a month after arriving ....... and died in about 30 mins!!!!!  But then I am a knackered old git[;)]

[quote user="Scooby"]But Fonejacker...... which ones are you backing to win???[*-)][8-)][;)][/quote]

ha ha !!

i think we can guess but we need to be sure [;)]

[quote user="Scooby"]But Fonejacker...... which ones are you backing to win???[*-)][8-)][;)][/quote]Very good point Scoobs, this should make it a tad clearer....Argentina v NigeriaBrazil v N KoreaSpain v

SwitzerlandEngland v AlgeriaItaly v New ZealandSpain

v
Honduras[:$]

[quote user="fonejacker"][quote user="Scooby"]But Fonejacker...... which ones are you backing to win???[*-)][8-)][;)][/quote]

Very good point Scoobs, this should make it a tad clearer....

Argentina v Nigeria

Brazil v
N Korea

Spain v
Switzerland

England v
Algeria

Italy v
New Zealand

Spain v
Honduras

[:$]
[/quote]

i was wrong, i had you down to pick algeria to beat england [;)]

What I want to know is, why the obsession with hooge and marsuve phoo-tooos.  I''m getting scrollers'' cramp trying to read the threads !

[quote user="Beauseant"]Ok Nana, I''ve got to ask. Why the Dutch obsession?[/quote]

im not 100% sure, but I used to have football training on a friday night and it was based on the dutch and i just really enjoyed it so supported them ever since. [:D]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Shyster"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Trent Canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Trent Canary"]Yep some of the stadium are at sea level. The final is at the highest point though (1700 or so??), so any team who wants to win the cup is going to have to do it at altitude. Although so are the opposition. Guess my point is not to use altitude as a deciding factor unless theres any particular team who play regularly under those conditions, and as far as im aware none of the top teams do.[/quote]It doesn''t actually take that long to gain acclimatisation when we''re talking about the sort of altitudes here.[/quote]Depends. From my experience id say thats the case for walking, or mild exercise. But for a full 90 minutes of professional football im not sure you can be the same playing at over 1500 metres, with only a few weeks of preparation.  But cant say I know for sure.Either way, im sure all the teams have prepared as best they can. [/quote]I''m only going by my mountaineering experience to be honest.[/quote]

Everest or K2?[/quote]Lol, neither. Matterhorn, Mont Blanc and Eiger though.[/quote]

Seriously! I''m impressed.I once scaled the North face of St James Hill.

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Shyster"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Trent Canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Trent Canary"]Yep some of the stadium are at sea level. The final is at the highest point though (1700 or so??), so any team who wants to win the cup is going to have to do it at altitude. Although so are the opposition. Guess my point is not to use altitude as a deciding factor unless theres any particular team who play regularly under those conditions, and as far as im aware none of the top teams do.[/quote]It doesn''t actually take that long to gain acclimatisation when we''re talking about the sort of altitudes here.[/quote]Depends. From my experience id say thats the case for walking, or mild exercise. But for a full 90 minutes of professional football im not sure you can be the same playing at over 1500 metres, with only a few weeks of preparation.  But cant say I know for sure.Either way, im sure all the teams have prepared as best they can. [/quote]I''m only going by my mountaineering experience to be honest.[/quote]

Everest or K2?[/quote]Lol, neither. Matterhorn, Mont Blanc and Eiger though.[/quote]

Seriously! I''m impressed.I once scaled the North face of St James Hill.[/quote]A mighty ascent, I tip my hat to you sir!

Brazil to beat Korea DPRItaly to beat New ZealandSpain to beat Switzerland England to beat AlgeriaSpain to beat Honduras Argentina to beat Korea RepublicArgentina to win the World Cup

[quote user="Mr. Bump"]Brazil to beat Korea DPR

Italy to beat New Zealand

Spain to beat Switzerland

England to beat Algeria

Spain to beat Honduras

Argentina to beat Korea Republic

Argentina to win the World Cup
[/quote]

spain twice, what about holland?!

only joking, good set of picks, will be interesting who will win with brazil, spain and argentina all being picked now, thats surely some money for the academy, unless holland can produce the goods [;)]

Well done Mr Bump and thanks for another set of selections that look nailed on.

I will take all these to Billy tomorrow, along with the 50 quid that Tilly generously donated, and we shall see what odds he gives us. I will then post them all on here.

Good luck to all our world cup pickers.[Y] After watching Nutty play Billy at darts I now know why Nutty is so keen to beat the bookie.[;)] because he''ll never do it playing darts.[img]http://smileydatabase.com/s/457.gif[/img]

[quote user="Trent Canary"]"Spain have won 45, and lost only one, of their last 48 games."

[:O]
[/quote]

but was that against top quality sides? BRazil, argentina, Holland? [;)]

Good afternoon Pups The bet is on with Dixmar Racing, so thanks to our good friends Mr Bump, Beauseant, Fonejacker, Til1010, Scooby and Billy Dixon we have...

5/1

Spain to win the cup

Scooby

5/1

Brazil to win the cup

Beauseant

5/1

Brazil to win the cup

Til1010

5/1

Spain to win the cup

Fonejacker

7/1

Argentina to win the cup

Mr Bump

So if Spain win the World Cup we win £60 for the Academy. If Brazil win the World Cup we win £60 for the Academy and if Argentina win the World Cup we win £40 for the Academy.

Mr. Bumps Line

1/10

Brazil to beat North Korea

15th June 19:30

2/5

16th June 15:00

2/5

Argentina to beat South Korea

17th June 12:30

1/3

England to beat Algeria

18th June 19:30

1/6

20th June 15:00

2/9

Spain to beat Honduras

21st Jun 19:30

Which will pay £20.50p for the Academy (£15.01).

Beauseant’s Line

4/7

Argentina to beat Nigeria

12th Jun 15:00

4/7

Germany to beat Australia

13th Jun 19:30

8/11

Holland to beat Denmark

14th Jun 12:30

1/10

2/9

1/6

Which will pay £33.45 for the Academy (£28.57)

Fonejacker’s Line

4/7

1/10

2/9

1/3

England to beat Algeria

1/6

2/9

Spain to beat Honduras

Which will pay £20.08 for the Academy (£17.32)

Til1010’s Line

4/7

4/7

Germany to beat Australia

13th Jun 19:30

1/10

1/3

England to beat Algeria

4/7

Holland to beat Japan

19th Jun 12:30

2/9

Spain to beat Honduras

Which will pay £34.78 for the Academy (£27.00)

Scooby’s Line

1/10

10/11

Germany to beat Serbia

18th Jun 12:30

1/3

England to beat Algeria

4/7

Holland to beat Japan

19th Jun 12:30

1/6

2/9

Spain to beat Honduras

Which will pay £31.37 for the Academy. (23.05)

The figures in brackets were the amounts we would have won if I’d put these selections on with Boyle Sports last night. So once again you can all see the advantage of getting “best prices” by betting with Billy. These prices are available to each and every one of us. So if you are thinking of having a bet at the World Cup or even fancy these for yourself give Billy a ring!

Thanks again Mr Bump, Beauseant, Fonejacker, Til1010 and Scooby for these excellent selections. I think they give us a great chance of winning more money for the Academy. And of course a special thank you to our friend Tilly who so generously donated the £50 to make this happen.

So now its "game on". Our first game is Saturday afternoon when we need to put the full force of the “Power of the PUPs” behind Argentina as they take on Nigeria. Getting off to a winning start would put us all on a high ready for the England game that evening.

Good luck everyone[Y]