Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

Rays funds for FONCY at the World Cup with the Pink un Pickers

[quote user="I am a Banana"][quote user="Beauseant"]

As ever, a pleasure to meet up with my fellow Pups. Also good to see that the forum lasted the evening with morty and Nana otherwise engaged!

I hope Kev and family  had a good day today , and finally,I  would not recommend Ben & Jerry''s Caramel Chew Chew as a bedtime snack.

Thanks Eddie for organising it!

[/quote]

Only 6 posts were made during the night out, because me and morty were having fun talking in a real world [;)]

[/quote]

And I bet Brendo made most of them![;)]

This "meeting people in the real world" is okay, but it will never replace the interweb.[:P]

I still have images of the posters, even the ones who I met last night, that are different to how they look in real life. I would rather have a ''get together'' online anyday LMAO!

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I second that Morty and roll on the next one. [Y]

[/quote]

I hope you have got rid of that nonsense Taddy lager by then Nutty.It was the right colour is all about i can say for it.£2.50 a pint.....at least Dick Turpin had the decency to wear a mask.

Taddy lager is here to stay!! For the summer at least! And it''s a bit strange that it took you all those pints and three hours to work out it was "nonsense"[O][B][B][B][B][B][+o(]

All the other old boys tend to be on mild by the time they are your age my friend. And at £1.95 pint it helps stretch the pension further[;)]

Great to meet so many of you guys again on Friday night. Really enjoyed my flying visit to the city - hope to stay a bit longer next time! (like forever [;)]).Can''t believe we also had Morty and Nana in same room!Drive back was great too. Blofield to Leeds in just under 3 hours - wish it was like that every journey!Tilly - I think that Taddy stuff is brewed near me and none of us up here like it either!I''m off now to do an updated photo shoot for the "just for men" box [:D]

I agree about the lager, I had to drink "Kronendeath" and it gave me a hurty head the next morning.[:(]

[quote user="morty"]I agree about the lager, I had to drink "Kronendeath" and it gave me a hurty head the next morning.

[:(]
[/quote]

The blackcurrent juice was far better for the head if not the other end!

Nice to put faces to names and yes I did know who you were Morty![:D]

Thanks Nutty for a great evening and we managed the whole night without a fight (much to everyones (except us) surprise[;)])

Nana you are much taller than I had imagined!

[quote user="morty"]I agree about the lager, I had to drink "Kronendeath" and it gave me a hurty head the next morning.

[/quote]

The Becks was ok to my head, but the interaction with the ice cream gave me terrible indigestion![+o(]

Anyway, getting down to the serious business, let''s be having some World Cup predictions, guys!

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

The Becks was ok to my head, but the interaction with the ice cream gave me terrible indigestion![+o(]

Anyway, getting down to the serious business, let''s be having some World Cup predictions, guys!

[/quote]

We are all waiting for Mr Bump to make an appearance Beau.

Taddy lager is here to stay!! For the summer at least! And it''s a bit strange that it took you all those pints and three hours to work out it was "nonsense"[O][B][B][B][B][B][+o(]

All the other old boys tend to be on mild by the time they are your age my friend. And at £1.95 pint it helps stretch the pension further[;)]

[/quote]

Nutty,could i pop down and you provide me with a 4 pint carry out of that Crappy sorry Taddy lager as i want to wash the car and it has some tar marks along both sills.I told told that if applied sparingly with a soft cloth it will do the trick.

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Nutty,could i pop down and you provide me with a 4 pint carry out of that Crappy sorry Taddy lager as i want to wash the car and it has some tar marks along both sills.I told told that if applied sparingly with a soft cloth it will do the trick.

[/quote]

*am told not told told.

I know females cant be expected to know about these things but I thought it was quite nice.

[quote user="Kathy"]I know females cant be expected to know about these things but I thought it was quite nice.[/quote]Wow, good to know that you know your place in the football supporting, man dominated, hierarchy![;)]

[quote user="Kathy"]I know females cant be expected to know about these things but I thought it was quite nice.[/quote]

As you never got a round in all night i am not surprised you thought it was "quite nice".

Anyway pint drinking women are not "females" they are "geezer birds".

[quote user="leedscanary"]Great to meet so many of you guys again on Friday night. Really enjoyed my flying visit to the city - hope to stay a bit longer next time! (like forever [;)]).
Can''t believe we also had Morty and Nana in same room!
Drive back was great too. Blofield to Leeds in just under 3 hours - wish it was like that every journey!

Tilly - I think that Taddy stuff is brewed near me and none of us up here like it either!

I''m off now to do an updated photo shoot for the "just for men" box [:D]
[/quote]

he he, whats that for ''just for the men with very little hair''?? [;)]

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

I second that Morty and roll on the next one. [Y]

[/quote]

I hope you have got rid of that nonsense Taddy lager by then Nutty.It was the right colour is all about i can say for it.£2.50 a pint.....at least Dick Turpin had the decency to wear a mask.

[/quote]

Spending a lot of his time taking the "p" it''s only fair that he then dishes it out by the pint!![;)]

Spain to win all there group matches, and the Argies to cause an upset and win the the world cup.[:O]

Nice to see so many of you again last week and to finally meet our young Nana who turns out to be a really nice guy[Y]

[quote user="IncH_HigH 2"]

Spain to win all there group matches, and the Argies to cause an upset and win the the world cup.[:O]

Nice to see so many of you again last week and to finally meet our young Nana who turns out to be a really nice guy[Y]

[/quote]

Thanks Inch High!

Will give my thoughs on winners etc some time soon, but must go for tea now [pi][y]

SPAIN will win the World Cup.My six game accumulator looks like this:SPAIN to beat SwitzerlandSPAIN to beat HondurasSLOVAKIA to beat New ZealandHOLLAND to beat JapanITALY to beat New ZealandBRAZIL to beat North KoreaSorry if this sounds patronising, seeing as you pickers all beat me in the official league, but I would warn against picking the last set of group fixtures as this is when injuries, suspensions and rested players can all affect a team''s line up and will to win.  I''ve picked from the first 2 games in each group to try to counter this.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]SPAIN will win the World Cup.

My six game accumulator looks like this:

SPAIN to beat Switzerland
SPAIN to beat Honduras
SLOVAKIA to beat New Zealand
HOLLAND to beat Japan
ITALY to beat New Zealand
BRAZIL to beat North Korea

Sorry if this sounds patronising, seeing as you pickers all beat me in the official league, but I would warn against picking the last set of group fixtures as this is when injuries, suspensions and rested players can all affect a team''s line up and will to win.  I''ve picked from the first 2 games in each group to try to counter this.

[/quote]

Good picks Mister Chops, I agree that the final games could be a bit of a lottery. However, my cunning plan is simply to copy Mr Bump, although I think that Tilly''s already going down that route[;)]

Shame you couldn''t make it on Friday, would have been nice to meet you again.

Some sugestions

portugal to beat ivory coast

USA to beat algeria

Chile to beat Honduras

Spain to win all 3, as will italy, argentina and The Mighty Holland

France to beat Uruguay

There are 16 games to think about.

Winner - well I WANT holland.

Spain wont - just have a feeling.

France and holland will be there or there abouts.

Finally germany will be in the semis too.

My winner will be Germany! (should get good odds on them. 12/1 on my "dads" coupon)

Good luck FF

NO NOT HOLLAND, they are not that good......all there players get injured if you breath on them, and they just arn''t half as good as you think....And also, Portugal won''t beat Ivory Coast [:P] well they might now the mighty Drogba is injured.....

I agree it will be interesting to see who they pick to win the competition. There''s only a few countries ever win the World Cup. I believe the last time a new country won without it being on their own soil was Brazil in 1958. I think anyway but I''m sure someone will tell me if that''s wrong. That being the case 4/1 about Spain is ridiculously short and 16/1 about Italy looks good value.

[/quote]---That''s correct, Nutty. It has only happened twice - West Germany in

Switzerland in 1954 and Brazil in Sweden in 1958. And no European

country has won outside Europe. And Brazil is the only team from the

Americas to win outside the Americans (in Sweden and Japan/Korea).

On that basis Brazil have to be the winners but...

I don''t watch international football apart from Euro and World Cup

tournaments, so I have no idea who''s good and who''s bad, but an off the

wall prediction would be that France won''t get through to the knock-out

stage.

These stats are very interesting Purple.I agree that the stats strongly point to Brazil. But of course the WC has never been held in Africa before. However, the same could have been said about Asia in 2002 but Brazil still won beating the Germans in the final.

The same countries do tend to win the WC and even contest the final. On that basis Spain are ridiculously short at 4/1. They have never won it and as far as I remember never made the final. The stats would point to Germany and Italy being Europes best hope and they are both 12/1.

Another interesting stat is that, as far as I know, every single host nation has qualified from the initial group stages. South Africa are 2/1 to qualify from Group A which seems a big price to me.

Anyway, back to the job in hand and like others it doesn''t feel right that I should be making suggestions to our Famous Five!

But my humble suggestion is, based on the stats alone, Brazil to win the World Cup. And my accy of 6 group winners would be Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Italy, Spain and England.

I see Taddy Lager[B] got a bit of a hammering off more than just whinemeister Tilly[:O] But there were 3 other draught lagers on sale that night[B][B][B]. Taddy is there to try and give the punters a decent cheaper option because after the VAT, duty and brewery price increases earlier this year I had to charge between £2.80 and £3 for the others.

Taddy is brewed near our great friend Kev in Taddy (Tadcaster) believe it or not[;)] They are now the only indepentent brewery left in Taddy and they only ever seem to raise their prices through duty increases. So I can sell their excellent mild for £1.95 and Old Brewery Bitter for £2.10.

Best wishes nutty nigel (keeping prices low even for Tilly [;)] )

Hello guys, sorry couldn''t make it, but my final exam tomorrow and 4 month lay-off! (us tax dodging students). Anyway, little snippets. As you point out Nutty, every home nation has managed to make it through so they look quite good for that.I think that the location, conditions and ability of the teams all favour South American teams, and what''s more the draw too. Argentina (if they win their group) face the group A runners up, which at the very worse will be France, after that they are likely to face USA or Germany and so their path to the semi''s looks rather nice. Brazil also have quite a nice run, and considering these two are pretty strong teams, I would fancy a look at an all South American final (even though history would suggest against it). The group stage winners seem mostly set (although there always seems like there is an upset or two), and picking as regard to picking the 6, Chops has it on not picking the last round of matches were players get rested etc. Lastly top goalscorer. The majority of goals in these tournaments come in the knock-out stages, and mainly when a big team plays a minnow, and even further a minnow with a leaky defence. So for me there are 3 teams with stand-out chances, namely England (Algeria, USA maybe Slovenia), Argentina (S. Korea, Nigeria) and Spain (Honduras ( Central American teams never defend, and Chilie who conceded more than a goal a game in qualifying).Bon chance.

These stats are very interesting Purple.I agree that the stats strongly point to Brazil. But of course the WC has never been held in Africa before. However, the same could have been said about Asia in 2002 but Brazil still won beating the Germans in the final.

The same countries do tend to win the WC and even contest the final. On that basis Spain are ridiculously short at 4/1. They have never won it and as far as I remember never made the final. The stats would point to Germany and Italy being Europes best hope and they are both 12/1.

Another interesting stat is that, as far as I know, every single host nation has qualified from the initial group stages. South Africa are 2/1 to qualify from Group A which seems a big price to me.

[/quote]Nutty, Spain''s record is pitiful - a solitary fourth place back in 1950. But I think that shows the kind of statistics I produced shouldn''t be relied on too much as a guide to the here and now. What Spain''s record reflects is that Spanish club football tended to rely on star overseas players, to the detriment of the national side. This happened to Italy too, after the second world war.And I think the old idea that countries (with the exception of Brazil) didn''t do well in other continents is not now to be relied on. It''s a world game and players play all over the world at the drop of a hat.But I DO think it is still hard for cold-weather countries to win in hot-weather countries, where the emphasis is on technique and controlling the pace of the game. Which I guess is bad news for England and Germany.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Nutty, Spain''s record is pitiful - a solitary fourth place back in 1950. But I think that shows the kind of statistics I produced shouldn''t be relied on too much as a guide to the here and now. What Spain''s record reflects is that Spanish club football tended to rely on star overseas players, to the detriment of the national side. This happened to Italy too, after the second world war.

And I think the old idea that countries (with the exception of Brazil) didn''t do well in other continents is not now to be relied on. It''s a world game and players play all over the world at the drop of a hat.

But I DO think it is still hard for cold-weather countries to win in hot-weather countries, where the emphasis is on technique and controlling the pace of the game. Which I guess is bad news for England and Germany.
[/quote]

I don''t think temperature will be too much of a factor, Purple. Given that it''s the southern hemisphere winter, the top temperature in the Jo''burg area is likely to be well below 20 degrees, and in the southern part it will be similar, with the potential for quite a bit of rain. I''m going there on holiday and have deliberately left it until August when things start to warm up in the north, but it''s still dry and good for game viewing.

I agree that past records are misleading and I fancy Spain to build on their Euro success, although I can''t rule out Argentina or Brazil, so I''ve got some deciding to do.

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]Nutty, Spain''s record is pitiful - a solitary fourth place back in 1950. But I think that shows the kind of statistics I produced shouldn''t be relied on too much as a guide to the here and now. What Spain''s record reflects is that Spanish club football tended to rely on star overseas players, to the detriment of the national side. This happened to Italy too, after the second world war.And I think the old idea that countries (with the exception of Brazil) didn''t do well in other continents is not now to be relied on. It''s a world game and players play all over the world at the drop of a hat.But I DO think it is still hard for cold-weather countries to win in hot-weather countries, where the emphasis is on technique and controlling the pace of the game. Which I guess is bad news for England and Germany.[/quote]

I don''t think temperature will be too much of a factor, Purple. Given that it''s the southern hemisphere winter, the top temperature in the Jo''burg area is likely to be well below 20 degrees, and in the southern part it will be similar.

[/quote]Thanks for enlightening me, Beau![Y] Given that, probably safest (in the unlikely event that anyone was taking any notice) to ignore my opinions altogether. So, actually, no change there then![:D]